Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How about an Electric Tacoma?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
SKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
SKULLY's Tacoma Gallery
How about an Electric Tacoma?

A friend of mine at EV West is helping to build this to race in baja.......could a Tacoma be next? Hope so!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gBNxTSTMeII
Old 11-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery

I keed I keed. It looks cool. Wish it would have a farther range.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ban.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKULLY View Post
A friend of mine at EV West is helping to build this to race in baja.......could a Tacoma be next? Hope so!

http://www.hahgay.com/original/
Old 11-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Thats awesome, gotta give em props, but that thing has gotta be heavy as shit. I can tell ya from experience that electric has potential for much more torque... but if those batteries decide to have a bad day.... good bye truck
Old 11-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben7726 View Post
Wish it would have a farther range.
Bingo.

Pure electrics are a dead-end until they can provide a comparable performance to gas (available), with a LONGER range.

The problem is the recharge time. Even if they can build an electric with a 400 mile range, nobody is going to want to have to stop for the night every 400 miles on a road trip to recharge.

Onboard charging / plug-in hybrid technology is the only thing that will ever be commercially viable.

Nice thing about hybrid technology is that it allows for the use of alternative fuels that are not good "performers" such as ethanol and CNG, since the electrics are providing the motive power and the fuel is only recharging the packs.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
mine as well prius swap
Old 11-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe a hybrid, but there's no way I could use an electric vehicle out here. It's so rural it could not make the long distances. A town commuter if I was in a city, now that would be different. I love the earth and mother nature, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to be labeled in with the hippie eco-nazis that drive Priuses and take pride in torching logging equipment, SUVs, and other "environmental hazards created by man". Those people need to quit watching Captain Planet already...
Old 11-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
Maybe a hybrid, but there's no way I could use an electric vehicle out here. It's so rural it could not make the long distances. A town commuter if I was in a city, now that would be different. I love the earth and mother nature, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to be labeled in with the hippie eco-nazis that drive Priuses and take pride in torching logging equipment, SUVs, and other "environmental hazards created by man". Those people need to quit watching Captain Planet already...

Eco-terrorists. Its funny you should say it, because I remmeber watching Axe Men awhile back, seeing people that had vandalized their equipment.... I know a good portion of those people on the show and my dad works with them every day. That shit never happened as long as I can remember. Once they got in the public eye shit started happening.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
I saw a bumper sticker on a logging truck about the eco-Kooks, it said.

" When you feel like complaining about logging, try wiping your ass with a piece of plastic. "
Old 11-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe a hybrid like the technology they are using in the Le Mans series cars now would be cool
Old 11-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
sachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shedsachou is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam
sachou's Tacoma Gallery
This thing is freaking fantastic! I'm glad to see people utilizing the ridiculous torque figures achievable from electric motors. The Tesla was iconic for car racing, and this thing is on par in the category of offroad racing.

Are they planning to race the Baja 1000? How do they plan to do that? I guess it'd be viable with 10 battery packs ready to swap out every 100 miles...

Still, you'd save on possible engine failure due to the great simplicity of an electric motor - only 1 moving part.

I was expecting a negative response from the truck community that is Tacomaworld, and to the electric naysayers - you can bash on EVs as much as you want, but that doesn't change the fact that we WILL run out of oil. You also have to realize that this is one of the first of its kind, and even greater things are yet to come.

That being said - who the hell wouldn't want to drive this thing? Hippies who drive Priuses. That's who.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Eco-terrorists. Its funny you should say it, because I remmeber watching Axe Men awhile back, seeing people that had vandalized their equipment.... I know a good portion of those people on the show and my dad works with them every day. That shit never happened as long as I can remember. Once they got in the public eye shit started happening.
Yeah, it don't happen much up here. Most people know that they take a risk of being shot at for trespassing or vandalizing on someone's property. I've only seen Axe Men maybe once, but it is a fun show to watc.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
I love the sound it makes!!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #17
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Bingo.

Pure electrics are a dead-end until they can provide a comparable performance to gas (available), with a LONGER range.

The problem is the recharge time. Even if they can build an electric with a 400 mile range, nobody is going to want to have to stop for the night every 400 miles on a road trip to recharge.

Onboard charging / plug-in hybrid technology is the only thing that will ever be commercially viable.

Nice thing about hybrid technology is that it allows for the use of alternative fuels that are not good "performers" such as ethanol and CNG, since the electrics are providing the motive power and the fuel is only recharging the packs.
Like the Volt. Problem is that with the Volt's price tag, anyone who can afford one can afford to buy lots of gas. It's a rich man's toy at this point. I like the idea of that type of setup in a truck. It would be the end of drivetrain vibrations, for one thing. No transmission to fail, no problems with regearing for big tires, no drivetrain fluid changes......
Old 11-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #18
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Prices will come down as competition and sales increase.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #19
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Volt is heavily subsidized.

But uhh we're not running out of oil anytime soon. IF we do the cost per bbl of oil will raise and tech like this will become more economical and viable, if something better doesn't come along. For now though, it doesn't look like a viable option. Not to say the constant torque of an electric motor isn't cool, but battery tech isn't there yet.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #20
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Cadillac and the dodge ram did it both failures. Instead of 10mpg they get 13