1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new girl needs winter advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Truck Chick, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Nov 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    how about some out of the box ideas like making sure that you never run under 1/4 of a tank of gas. Dont forget about throwing a shovel in the bed with some sand or planks of wood in case you get stuck. Having a bag packed with 2 days of clothes including socks and underwear. A blanket and jackets, if you have a decent small size cooler you can put some water in it, make sure that it wont freeze. These are just a couple of ideas that come to mind.

2. Nov 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    True but since I used to instruct winter driving and survival skills in the Army why not give a little info here. I forgot most of what I taught but when the time comes I remember. Another idea is to throw a little tow rope in the truck with you in case you need to be pulled out or need to pull some one out.

3. Nov 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Your antifreeze is fine they mix it up the same if you are in Florida or Alaska.

Use the orange rain ex. That stuff works great on cold frosty mornings. Don't forget to check your air pressure as it gets colder.

And run a bottle of red HEET before it starts freezing.

4. Nov 5, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    Truck Chick

Truck Chick [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    California
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tacoma
    I don't mind! haha I am getting a ton of help :) Thank you again everyone!!!

5. Nov 5, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    What's HEET, is that like drygas?

6. Nov 6, 2012 at 1:29 AM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    I hate dry gas, I like the wet, rumbly gas.

Back on topic, HEET is basically a gas dryer, evaps the water in your gas tank. :cool:

7. Nov 6, 2012 at 1:52 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

+1 on the orange rainX. That shit was nice when I lived there. Honestly I never did anything special with my truck when I lived there. Just keep your wipers off the windshield when it snows, and those nice rubber flexible wipers (Bosch I think) are really nice for the winter time. It also helps to keep a few sacks of sand or concrete in the back for traction.... trucks are generally light. My battery, even after 4 years of NE weather, came out just fine, and I finally replaced it about a week ago after 106k miles.

Rinse the shit out of your truck if you have a heated area to do it, and don't forget the engine bay. My block picked up alot of surface corrosion there.

8. Nov 6, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    It is a fuel water remover. They make it in a yellow and red bottle. I was told the red bottle has like 4-5X's the active ingredient to remove water yet only cost 1/4 more. If this is true or not I do not know.

9. Nov 6, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    It's not just up north. Here in the middle of Alabama you can buy the (-15) degree washer fluid all the time. And it's only $1.99 for a gallon.

That is actually incorrect. In the northern states and Alaska the service departments will change to a richer, 60/40 mix to increase freeze protection.

10. Nov 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    New girl eh....

[​IMG]

11. Nov 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Creeeeepy.....lmao

12. Nov 6, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    X2

I love the Orange RainX! I just sweep the snow off, start the truck, and spray a ton of that stuff on. I usually keep a spare bottle in the truck too. With the above mentality I go through 2-3 bottles a winter. Good wipers are important. Good tires are even more important. Def add weight to the bed. If you are not used to driving in the snow, do yourself and everyone else a favor and don't do it if you don't have to. You can still get a 4X4 stuck in snow. Practice in parking lots that haven't been cleared after the roads have been cleared. I also always keep a basic 20' tow strap and a couple heavy shackles in the truck. And jumper cables.

And where about in New England, there is quite a difference between southern CT to northern ME

13. Nov 6, 2012 at 8:27 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The Rain-X blades are actually really good. Not the expensive ones (they're junk), but the cheap, $12 Rain-X blades.

It's also a good idea to keep some emergency stuff in your truck during the winter months, especially if you travel back roads. I typically carry a blanket, gloves, a hat, boots and a heavy jacket. I always have a shovel and hatchet in the bed as well as the stuff mentioned above.

14. Nov 6, 2012 at 8:33 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    X2
    I carry all of the above. The hatchet is year round though.

15. Nov 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'm lazy... all that stuff is year 'round :anonymous:

16. Nov 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    Yellow HEET is just methanol and should do the better job. Red HEET is the more environmentally conscious version and is Isopropyl alcohol. I know because I use the yellow stuff in my stove in a pinch. It's the most expensive methanol you can buy. Airbrake line de-icer is also methanol, but way cheaper.

17. Nov 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    KauaiBoyToy

KauaiBoyToy Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr longbed
    6" procomp lift 20 inch XD series addict 35" procomp xterrain
    PERVERTS.........LMAO

18. Nov 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I throw a couple of sand tubes in the bed, have a good windshield brush w/ plastic scraper, a small tube of lock ease (graphite), some road flares & tow strap, & good wiper blades are key!
    Along with snow tires, orange windshield fluid & other suggestions made here.

19. Nov 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    toughtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I should throw some flares in the truck. I dont do any weight in the bed though, been lucky I guess. I do need new tires though.

20. Nov 7, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    Truck Chick

Truck Chick [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lauren
    California
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tacoma
    New Hampshire, and does the orange rainx effect the paint at all?

Products Discussed in

To Top