Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Pepboys just made my 6-lug into a 5 lugger

Old 11-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #41
Cobalt719 will become famous soon enoughCobalt719 will become famous soon enough

Cobalt719's Tacoma Gallery
So for like a car noob do you know if there are instructions anywhere on how to do that inspection and grease job?
Old 11-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #42
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
There's a sticky on here for the oil change process and lubing the driveshaft. As far as inspection, a little reading will tell you what each component is, or find a local member who knows and have 'em give you the quick teach.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #43
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverSound View Post
Probably tire rotation? I've owned many different vehicles and I've only broken the wheel studs off Toyota's.
Me too
Old 11-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #44
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofire38 View Post
Old 11-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #45
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Say what?

Color me skeptical. That sh*t costs 9 bucks a quart.

Searching around, I found a coupon for $10 off a 5 quart jug. (although the four banger needs 5.5 quarts)

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Coupon_for_$10_Off_Mobil_1.pdf

Hook us up man! Show us where we can get mobil 1 for under five bucks a quart.
I get mine at costco. Reg price is usually around $35 per case of 6 quarts i think, but sometimes they throw a coupon for $10 off per case. I stock up when they go on sale. Add a few bucks for oem toyota filter bought in bulk from camelback toyota (thanks Jorge!) And i spend about half hour and $30 for a oil change. Longest part of the job for me is the greasing the drive shaft. Those front zerks never want to fit on the grease gun
Old 11-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #47
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
Yes loud noises coming... YOU PAID 76 DOLLARS FOR AN OIL CHANGE?!

WTF! That is stupid expensive.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #48
NewbSauce
yog182 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nathan
yog182's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE STRAIT View Post
It was an Oil change and free tire rotation. 76 and change. I am pissed, I contacted customer service but they of course won't get back with me.
Keep on them about it.. The squeaky door is the one that gets the oil. I just fought a 4 month battle with the post office for 100 benjamens due to them losing a shipment.

Eventually they will just want to get you out of their hair and they will compensate you or give you a gift card or credit the whole service!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #49
TH3DUBBS is on a distinguished road
Name: dubbs
TH3DUBBS's Tacoma Gallery
$76 wow.
You should learn to change your own oil. It's easy and in the long run will safe you a lot of money and headaches.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #50
NWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: James
NWTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
I am curious about all of the broken wheel studs on your trucks....I am thinking maybe it is because a lot of you guys are running spacers and torquing them down too tight
Old 11-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #51
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Say what?

Searching around, I found a coupon for $10 off a 5 quart jug. (although the four banger needs 5.5 quarts)

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Coupon_for_$10_Off_Mobil_1.pdf

Nice find on the rebate.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #52
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Quote:
It was an Oil change and free tire rotation. 76 and change. I am pissed, I contacted customer service but they of course won't get back with me.
76 bucks?! I can get 2 jugs of Motul 5-40 oil and 2 filters and a tall can for that price.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #53
kyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkyleTRDtaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kyleTRDtaco12's Tacoma Gallery
never, ever ever everrr go to pepboys, midas, minaki, STS, jiffy lub, or any of those junk places unless u have a personal friend as a mechanic, u bring it to toyota you get the most piece of mind and the best job done, and if they mess anything up like this, they are totally liable , no questions asked
Old 11-06-2012, 04:36 AM   #54
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTacoGuy View Post
I am curious about all of the broken wheel studs on your trucks....I am thinking maybe it is because a lot of you guys are running spacers and torquing them down too tight
Hard usage is what it is...overtorquing certainly won't help if that's what's happening, but when you put trucks through hell, you have increased chance of component failure.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:45 AM   #55
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Tony
TeamLombardo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
Dropped off the girlfriend's IS there to get some tires mounted and come back two hours later and the average mpg was down a whole MPH, get home and notice they mounted two of the staggered tires on the wrong rims and the wider rims were on the front and it was vibrating and the service guy swears it never left the lot after I ask them WTF they did. The new tech the next afternoon says that the two rims that were on the front are slightly bent now. Filed a complaint with the main office and got nowhere, filed a complaint wit the BBB and they fought that too, i ended up buying a new set of wheels after those others were toast. Fucking hate pepboys, new wheels look sick though

F^&% that right der! My Pepboys experience didn't include damaged/broken anything, but they sure do suck at alignments. Wasted $80 on an alignment job that SUCKS.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:57 AM   #56
nomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Say what?

The coupon is only good at autozone and the 5qt jug is $37. The same jug is $24 a walmart this weekend.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #57
nomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleTRDtaco12 View Post
never, ever ever everrr go to pepboys, midas, minaki, STS, jiffy lub, or any of those junk places unless u have a personal friend as a mechanic, u bring it to toyota you get the most piece of mind and the best job done, and if they mess anything up like this, they are totally liable , no questions asked
Haha if only I trusted the a-hole toyota dealers around me. For inspections and alignments I take my truck to the honda dealer my wife bought her car from. They are actually good at what they do. But thats why the are voted best in the region year and year again.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:10 AM   #58
stolleee is on a distinguished road
stolleee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Went in for an oil change at pepboys today since it's right next to my office (first mistake I suppose). Took nearly two hours and one of the studs that holds the wheel on was destroyed in the process. Best part about it was they wanted to charge me for a replacement part too.

Would you like me to have it fixed...? I know the EVP of merch at Pep and can have him get involved. Thank god....they are not in my area though

Just let me know
steve
Old 11-06-2012, 06:55 AM   #59
Large Breast Enthusiast
GEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedGEORGE STRAIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
GEORGE STRAIT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolleee View Post
Would you like me to have it fixed...? I know the EVP of merch at Pep and can have him get involved. Thank god....they are not in my area though

Just let me know
steve
They took care of the broken stud last night, thanks though.

And to the people talking about the 76 dollar oil change, I dont use 5w-30, I use 0w-20 full synthetic - the oil recommended by Toyota, which is pricy- so the marginal amount I can save by doing it myself isn't that significant.. maybe 20 dollars or so, and since 0w-20 can go up to 10k miles between changes, it's not that big of a deal. And the oil change part wasn't what pissed me off, it was the broken stud.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #60
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They took care of the broken stud last night, thanks though.

And to the people talking about the 76 dollar oil change, I dont use 5w-30, I use 0w-20 full synthetic - the oil recommended by Toyota, which is pricy- so the marginal amount I can save by doing it myself isn't that significant.. maybe 20 dollars or so, and since 0w-20 can go up to 10k miles between changes, it's not that big of a deal. And the oil change part wasn't what pissed me off, it was the broken stud.
Sorry to threadjack your thread man. But it looks like other folks besides me (maybe you too) have been wondering how to save money on the "stupid expensive" 0W20 full synthetic oil change which is still supposed to be changed every 5000 miles on the 2011 and newer four-banger.

So yeah, I'm glad to hear from others where to go to get the oil at a cheap price.