Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need SERIOUS help with OME Lift and getting 285's to fit

Old 11-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
troy28 is on a distinguished road
troy28's Tacoma Gallery
Need SERIOUS help with OME Lift and getting 285's to fit

I have done all the research and I have spoken with several people from looking at their rigs regarding their tires. Here is where I am at.

I am a SR5 4x4 2012 DCLB. I have the full OME lift kit w/885 up front (no top plate spacer) and Dakar in the rear. My front center of hub to bottom of fender is at 22in with about a 1in rake from the rear.

All I want to do is fit a 285 which I have seen done several times. I do not care about trimming plastic or having to buy new wheels with different back spacing, but would greatly love to avoid the cab mount chop.

If anyone is this configuration or very close what tire are you running, how did you get it to fit, and what is your center of hub to fender measurement??

THANK YOU FOR ANY AND ALL HELP!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting

I'm at 22 1/2" with 885x , no top plate spacers on my DCLB 4x4
Old 11-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
edit bc I cant read
Old 11-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
so what exactally is the problem op? you just wanting to run 285's without a cab mount chop then? you dont need that really unless your going offroad. I didnt do one and its fine.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
troy28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruKnight View Post
so what exactally is the problem op? you just wanting to run 285's without a cab mount chop then? you dont need that really unless your going offroad. I didnt do one and its fine.

For some reason I am having a nightmare getting tires and wheels to fit. My only goal at this point is to run 285's. I am open to purchase different wheels and tires. I would like to fit the BFG all terrain T/A but am not married to that tire. I have been to two shops both tried a couple different wheels and the 285's wouldn't fit. I feel like this is a stupid problem to have when I see so many trucks on here run 285's yet I have this problem.

Any real off roading will be on existing trails for camping or hunting. No real wheeling and no rock climbing. Just need some guidance on what I need to either do to the truck or specific wheel measurements and tries I need.

Thank you again for any and all help!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

I run those tires in that size, look at my build thread and compare your setup.

so what on em isint fitting and where? uca or coil rub? if you want to use your stock rims, you will need spacers or new rims with greater backspacing.

bear in mind that with a 285 anything your gonna rub still at full lock and/or flexing turns without the cmc. shouldnt happen that often tho.

you also have to remove your front mudflaps in addition to plastic trimming if you havent already done so.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Hang on , 285/?/? are you trying to fit OP
Old 11-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy28 View Post
For some reason I am having a nightmare getting tires and wheels to fit. My only goal at this point is to run 285's. I am open to purchase different wheels and tires. I would like to fit the BFG all terrain T/A but am not married to that tire. I have been to two shops both tried a couple different wheels and the 285's wouldn't fit. I feel like this is a stupid problem to have when I see so many trucks on here run 285's yet I have this problem.

Any real off roading will be on existing trails for camping or hunting. No real wheeling and no rock climbing. Just need some guidance on what I need to either do to the truck or specific wheel measurements and tries I need.

Thank you again for any and all help!
That tire size is pretty common, you just need a wheel with 4 inches of backspacing or a set of spacers, I use 1.25 spidertrax to get my tires away from my upper control arm, unfortunately depending on how much you go offroad, you may need to chop your cab mount no matter what wheel you choose.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #9
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Hang on , 285/?/? are you trying to fit OP
This. I'm running 285s (32") have full flex and no rub.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold

eric3187's Tacoma Gallery
alignment... have them push the tires forward... my drivers side tire rubs cab mount and sheet metal, the passenger tire just grazed the fender flare...

i have stock TRD OR rims with spidertrax spacers..
Old 11-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #12

I think we need more specific info op, and a pic of your truck would prolly help too.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
plee33 will become famous soon enoughplee33 will become famous soon enough
Name: Peter
plee33's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same set up. OME lift with 285s and 4" backspace wheels. 4.5" backspace will also be fine. Not necessary to chop the cab mounts. I chopped mine, but trust me, it's not that big of a deal.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3187 View Post
alignment... have them push the tires forward... my drivers side tire rubs cab mount and sheet metal, the passenger tire just grazed the fender flare...

i have stock TRD OR rims with spidertrax spacers..
Get an alignment. It could be that for some reason ur caster is bad out and moved ur wheel back in the fender well
Old 11-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #16
troy28's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the info so far. I will try and address the questions.

I put the light Racing Upper control arms on with the lift and moved the sway bar forward with the spacer.

There is no rub on the coil, UCA, or sway bar.

The alignment was literally done today. The Left Front Camber 0.4degrees, Caster 2.3degrees Toe 0.06 degrees. Front Right Camber 0.4 degrees and Caster 2.8 degrees, Toe -0.01degree. Front Cross Camber 0.0 degrees. Front Cross Caster -0.4 degrees. Total Toe 0.05degree.

Wheels: I am not trying to reuse the OEM wheels. This is one of the wheels that was tested. The best that could fit on these was a 265. I DO NOT have to have these wheels. I thought the shop I went to would be able to figure out the back spacing.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ke+6&typ=Truck

There is no rub in the front of the tire. The rub is in the back of the tire against the cab mount. On a flat surface with no flex you start turning the wheel and the shoulder of the tire crams right into the cab mount. This happens on both the driver and passenger side.

With 285's I am ok if there is a touch of rub at full lock or if I really start flexing. Since it is primarily on road driving I'm don't expect much flex beyond normal driving.

The tire tested was 285/70/17. I also DO NOT have to have 70/17 but it did look good.

My goal: to see if there is anything else I need to add to the lift and find some specific numbers for wheel and tire sizes to take back to the shop. See if I can find a 2012 DCLB with this set up to mimic.

Thank you for all the info and recommendations so far!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
sparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nice

Name: Sparky
sparkystaco's Tacoma Gallery
I run 285/70/17 hankook's with 4.5 back spaced moto metal's,
my hub to fender is at 23in and I still have my mud flap's on
only minor rubbing at full lock, and I'm no where near the cab mount
Old 11-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #18
85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Eric
85yote09taco's Tacoma Gallery
I also ran into this problem and sometimes think that not all trucks are the same. I had to run my caster near 4 degrees positive caster to get rid of the rubbing issues. Since then I have done a cab mount chop and a lot of trimming. It's ok to run your caster above what someone may recommend here on the forum but you will run into what they call ''bump steer'' not at all that bad and you quickly get used to it. A good alignment shop should be able to tell you when they think the caster is starting to get in the bad.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #19
85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Eric
85yote09taco's Tacoma Gallery
again i was worked up when people on this forum were running the same setup as me and had no problems, and i thought that it would never be right.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #20
troy28's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the info so far. It sounds like I have to start with 4 to 4.5 off set wheels. Any other 285/?/? tire size recommendations?

Those that are running 285 what is your center of hub to fender measurement?