Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Double cab v6 "bumps" at traffic lights

Old 11-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #21
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
I think it is the transmission (assuming it is auto)
When you stop the transmission is still in a higher gear. Right after you stopped the transmission shifts down to first gear, giving the jolt when it engage. I don't feel it much on my Tacoma (just slightly), but I have a Ford Explorer also that does it very pronounced and it is clear that it is the transmission. Just to check it, I have approached the stop slowly to make sure it completes the downshift before I stop, and then it does not happen.
I believe there is a TSB for this.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #22
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHG View Post
I think it is transmission related. Definately not normal. Guess I need to take it to the shop.
it's not the transmission
Old 11-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #23
Bfry86 is a name known to allBfry86 is a name known to allBfry86 is a name known to allBfry86 is a name known to allBfry86 is a name known to allBfry86 is a name known to all

Name: Brandon
Bfry86's Tacoma Gallery
Mine deoes the same from time to time. I seriously thought I got rear ended the first time. Strange...
Old 11-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #24
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Axle wrap. Next time you drive try this, come to a very abrupt stop pushing the brake pedal hard and once you stop push on the brakes as hard as you can. You will feel the "thump" as soon as you let off the brakes slightly. It because when you stop fast your front end dives and the rear end raises, when you come to a complete stop the truck settles but your holding your foot on the brake which causes the rear leafs to load up, as soon as you relieve enough brake pressure to allow the rear drums to slip the rear springs unload and you feel a thump. Do it a few times and hold the brakes for a different amount of time to test, it wont thump until you release the brakes slightly
Old 11-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #25
Professional Window Licker
fletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to beholdfletch97 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
fletch97's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the same thing but it only seems to happen I have the fan on, whether heat or AC. It doesn't do it when the fan is off.....that's the only pattern I have found.

BTW.....I have a 2013 Tacoma SR5 with a little over a 1000 miles.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #26
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my truck for 14 months and this has been doing it since the 2nd day I got it. The first time it happened I pulled over because I thought that the truck behind me had hit me. Turns out it has to do with the truck shifting into first gear(I have an auto). I was told that it was normal.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #27
GhostDog86 will become famous soon enough

Name: Max
GhostDog86's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the same thing. Iv seen it happen on other makes and what I noticed is there would be a slight increase in RPM right when I would feel the "bump". I always let it fly thinking it was the tranny shifting down.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #28
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think it is transmission related. Definately not normal. Guess I need to take it to the shop.
You have 10 ppl telling you it's not the trans. Don't waste your money going to a shop. Leave your ac off and see if it still does it. If it does, it's a axle wrap. If it doesn't do it, it's the compressor kicking on momentarily. Both of my tacomas have done this and my xrunner had axle wrap before I put I the urd torque arm
Old 11-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #29
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wow! Thanks for all the replies .... It's not the AC kicking in - It's a much harder bump - feels like the car behind me hit my bumper - has not ever occured until recently. Happens stopped in gear while foot on brake - out of the blue, wierd.
Did you recently start using defrost ?
Old 11-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #30
HHG is on a distinguished road
HHG's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, been using the ac on defrost and all other settings for a long time. Sounds like I need to check for axel wrap. Thanks for the advice everyone! I love the truck. Any recommendations on stereo head?
Old 11-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #31
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nope, been using the ac on defrost and all other settings for a long time. Sounds like I need to check for axel wrap.
Check the torque on the u-bolts. Apparently many members have been saying they were 'hand tight' when they should be 73 ft/lbs.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #32
520Toyota is on a distinguished road
Name: C.V.
520Toyota's Tacoma Gallery
My 2008 4runner did it when letting foot off brake pedal after a complete stop or when stopped and slowly moving suv forward.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #33
Drinknmolson is on a distinguished road
Drinknmolson's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same problem, went to the stealership for the Tranny TSB and the guy asked me if I had the feeling of being rearended after I have some to or been at a stop, I said yah that's why I am here, he said they all do that. then after having my truck all day for the TSB (which they were pissed that I had a pdf printed out for it) they had me come get the truck and told me the CPU was locked and wouldn't accept programming.

good luck, I wonder if I get a little whiplash if they will fix it?!

love my truck, tryn to get used to the quirks.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #34
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinknmolson View Post
I have the same problem, went to the stealership for the Tranny TSB and the guy asked me if I had the feeling of being rearended after I have some to or been at a stop, I said yah that's why I am here, he said they all do that. then after having my truck all day for the TSB (which they were pissed that I had a pdf printed out for it) they had me come get the truck and told me the CPU was locked and wouldn't accept programming.

good luck, I wonder if I get a little whiplash if they will fix it?!

love my truck, tryn to get used to the quirks.
wut
Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #35
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
You have 10 ppl telling you it's not the trans. Don't waste your money going to a shop. Leave your ac off and see if it still does it. If it does, it's a axle wrap. If it doesn't do it, it's the compressor kicking on momentarily. Both of my tacomas have done this and my xrunner had axle wrap before I put I the urd torque arm
It IS the transmission. I am not saying that it can't happen with AC and axle wrap also, but I know that the transmission will do it, i.e. I am not just guessing, it's a fact.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #36
HHG is on a distinguished road
HHG's Tacoma Gallery
I will check the rear end hardware,

Great ideas! Thanks!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #37
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
It IS the transmission. I am not saying that it can't happen with AC and axle wrap also, but I know that the transmission will do it, i.e. I am not just guessing, it's a fact.
And what would be your proof? Because it definitely is not the transmission. If it were, my truck would be doing it for the last 5+ years when my A/C is completely off.

Man we've beaten this horse so many times over the years lol
Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #38
ASE Master Tech.
gasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gasgasman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfry86 View Post
Mine deoes the same from time to time. I seriously thought I got rear ended the first time. Strange...

Mine does it. Not the A/C, it does it with the A/C off.

I always catch myself looking in the mirror to see who hit me.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #39

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Mine does it. Not the A/C, it does it with the A/C off.

I always catch myself looking in the mirror to see who hit me.
Do you use defrost ?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #40
tacoroad is on a distinguished road
tacoroad's Tacoma Gallery
I think it has something to do with the torque converter solenoid resetting. My 2013 tacoma is the first automatic in 20+ years. I usually feel it when I have been driving fast and come to an abrupt stop, about 2-4 seconds later. I looked up other truck and car forums with the same type of system, and they are asking the same question.