Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Double cab v6 "bumps" at traffic lights

Old 11-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
HHG is on a distinguished road
HHG's Tacoma Gallery
Double cab v6 "bumps" at traffic lights

Truck ha 60 miles, v6 with tow package.
In last few weeks maybe every two to three days while sitting stopped at traffic lights the truck "bumps". I thought the car behind tapped me the first couple of times it happened. Have had the transmission and rear end serviced at dealer at 40 miles. Love the truck - stereo volume at head unit goes crazy, researching sound systems.
Anyone expirienced the "bump"?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Brianz1001 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
Brianz1001's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like the universals to me, grease them up real good, (purge them) then take it for a ride.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Drivetrain slop?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
Axle wrap?

Ray
Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Does it bump while you are just sitting there with your foot on the brake? (A/C compressor)
Does it 'bump' when you take your foot off the brake as you get going? (U Joints/Axle Wrap/Slip Yoke)
Old 11-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Axle wrap?

Ray
he said its when sitting stopped, so i doubt it
Old 11-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Search the site for axle wrap. If your AC is on or you're set to defrost your compressor will kick on and at lights can cause you to feel a serge.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^That. It's been discussed a million times since 2005.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: E-4
Name: Tom
tomwilson74's Tacoma Gallery
Is your gas tank full or close to it? My Dakota used to do that and it is explained in the manual what the bump or "jolt" was. Could be the culprit. Just the petro shifting around.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
HHG's Tacoma Gallery
Wow! Thanks for all the replies .... It's not the AC kicking in - It's a much harder bump - feels like the car behind me hit my bumper - has not ever occured until recently. Happens stopped in gear while foot on brake - out of the blue, wierd.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Nixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shedNixinus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nixinus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHG View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the replies .... It's not the AC kicking in - It's a much harder bump - feels like the car behind me hit my bumper - has not ever occured until recently. Happens stopped in gear while foot on brake - out of the blue, wierd.
Sounds a lot like the A/C bump, thought someone hit me the first time it happened. Guess its time to start troubleshooting.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future1stacoma has a brilliant future

1stacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does the same thing. Its not the AC like I saw somone ask it really feels like I'm being tapped from the back (that does not sound good).

I've learned to live with it it does not happen that often.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stacoma View Post
Mine does the same thing. Its not the AC like I saw somone ask it really feels like I'm being tapped from the back (that does not sound good).

I've learned to live with it it does not happen that often.
remember even if you are set to defrost it will still do it.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #15
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I think it is the transmission (assuming it is auto)
When you stop the transmission is still in a higher gear. Right after you stopped the transmission shifts down to first gear, giving the jolt when it engage. I don't feel it much on my Tacoma (just slightly), but I have a Ford Explorer also that does it very pronounced and it is clear that it is the transmission. Just to check it, I have approached the stop slowly to make sure it completes the downshift before I stop, and then it does not happen.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #16
GEENYUSS is on a distinguished road
GEENYUSS's Tacoma Gallery
wow i thought i was crazy mine does that too.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSgt - A.G.E. Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
It is the ac compressor kicking in and your rpm's jump up due to that, causing the jolt that you feel.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #18
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
My explorer also does the same thing when I back up and then switch to Drive. A slight pause and then "bang" and give me a slight whiplash, and bystanders looking at me thinking that I have hit something, because they can even hear the bang from the outside, i the same issue you get when you stop and it downshifts.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
mine has same feeling and mine is the AC kicking in
Old 11-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
HHG's Tacoma Gallery
I think it is transmission related. Definately not normal. Guess I need to take it to the shop.