LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tire decision???? need a lil help !!

View Poll Results: what would you choose?
dick cepek Radial F-C II 13 8.72%
stock tires 2 1.34%
bfg t/a ko 10 ply white letter 57 38.26%
bfg t/a ko 8 ply black wall 79 53.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #41
neverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud ofneverstuck has much to be proud of
Name: Matt
neverstuck's Tacoma Gallery
8 ply vs 10

I understand the sidewall of a bfg 8 ply is the same as the sidewall of a bfg 10 ply - only difference is on the tread'ed (flat) portion. The tire guy could have been talking out of his @$$ though.

I have the bfg 10 ply and love them. wearing well and good mileage.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 PM   #42
MEMO CAMPOS is on a distinguished road

MEMO CAMPOS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by devman80 View Post
I really want the bf goodrich all terrain t/a ko and my dealer is trying to get me to buy dick cepek Radial F-C II.

any advice out there? also for the bfg's should i go 10ply or 8 ply... 10 got the white letters which id rather?
Go with the BFG's, being in the the tire industry for 10 years I've owned them all and can confirm its pretty tough to beat the A/T KO. As far as the weight concern go to BFG's web site and you will see the 8 ply actually weighs more than the 10 ply! 59 lbs vs 57 lbs. this is due to tread depth the 8 ply has more 32nds of an inch compared to 10 ply this means there is more rubber in the 8 ply. One last detail about the bfg it is one of the few at's with a severe service emblem (snow flake stamped on sidewall) Oh ya white letters FTW!
Attached Thumbnails
Tire decision???? need a lil help !!-image.jpg  
Old 11-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #43
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Have 265/70R16 BFG T/A KOs ... got over 22mpg twice this summer driving all around and through Colorado. Average 19mpg over the first 15k miles so far. Great mixed use tires on the Taco.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #44
devman80 is on a distinguished road

EMS: ems with local company
Name: Dev
devman80's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEMO CAMPOS View Post
Go with the BFG's, being in the the tire industry for 10 years I've owned them all and can confirm its pretty tough to beat the A/T KO. As far as the weight concern go to BFG's web site and you will see the 8 ply actually weighs more than the 10 ply! 59 lbs vs 57 lbs. this is due to tread depth the 8 ply has more 32nds of an inch compared to 10 ply this means there is more rubber in the 8 ply. One last detail about the bfg it is one of the few at's with a severe service emblem (snow flake stamped on sidewall) Oh ya white letters FTW!

Thanks... very good help.. greatly appreciated!!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #45
N736RA is on a distinguished road
N736RA's Tacoma Gallery
I had the general grabbers on my 4runner, and they were amazing, trying out the Hankook Dyapro ATM's on the taco, they handled the trans labrador highway fine, and the first snow here in maine was no issue (they're also fairly cheap), they seem to be another forum favorite

edit: Also my hankooks are P rated, and I'm still getting ~25mpgs
Old 11-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #46
TrippTheGreat
BehindUranus is on a distinguished road

Name: Tripp
BehindUranus's Tacoma Gallery
I know that youre looking at the BFG and the Dick Cepek but have you looked at a few other tires. I havent had any snowy whether experience yet with my Cooper Discoverer AT3s but I love them so far. If youre looking for a WL these can be WL out. My signature has a pic of mine before my suspension. Ill get a new pic up soon with the suspension Anyways, when I was looking for tires (I had Firestone Destination LE then moved to the AT and now on Cooper AT3s) I did ALOT of searching and thinking about what I wanted. My final decisin came down to the Nitto Trail Graps (Price was to high with no Mileage warranty), Kumho Road Venture MTs (Couldnt find these in my area so got knocked out), and the Cooper STTs. While I hardly ever see Cooper talked about on here or in the world really they do make a great tire. My AT3s do well in rain / gravel and dirt. Theyre also pricewise cheaper than say the BFG or most other AT tires and have a 50k mileage warranty on them. Just my $0.02.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #47
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Tony
TeamLombardo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Looks good! What size tires?
Old 11-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #48
bamma is on a distinguished road

bamma's Tacoma Gallery
I had the BFGs and had them balanced 5 times and they could never get balanced. Turns out I had two defective tires. I found out that the BFGs are very hard to balance.

I switched to the LTX M/S 2 tire and have been very happy.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamma View Post
I had the BFGs and had them balanced 5 times and they could never get balanced. Turns out I had two defective tires. I found out that the BFGs are very hard to balance.

I switched to the LTX M/S 2 tire and have been very happy.

i did have this issue on my old ford as well
Old 11-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #50
custom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to all

Army: 5/19 SFG(A)
custom90gt's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say none of them, my vote goes for Hankook ATMs. So far it's been a fantastic tire, I like it much better than my BFG Muds or KOs...
Old 11-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLombardo View Post
Looks good! What size tires?
Thank you! 305/70r-16 would be the size (my favorite so far)
Old 11-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #52
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Thank you! 305/70r-16 would be the size (my favorite so far)
Holy shit balls man! I wish I had the nuts to go that big. 285/75/16 is my limit partner

edit: I checked out the tire calc and its not that big a diff from 285/75/16
Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLombardo View Post
Holy shit balls man! I wish I had the nuts to go that big. 285/75/16 is my limit partner

edit: I checked out the tire calc and its not that big a diff from 285/75/16
You are absolutley right! It measures exactly 33" tall and 12.50" wide. 285's are 32.7" tall 11.50" wide. Just looks meatier in person compared to 285's specially running camburg spindles in which they are lifting me 4"!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #54

Army:
Quote:
You are absolutley right! It measures exactly 33" tall and 12.50" wide. 285's are 32.7" tall 11.50" wide. Just looks meatier in person compared to 285's specially running camburg spindles in which they are lifting me 4"!
Well I dig it. Good job sir!
Old 11-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #55

Quote:

how many 32nds in diffrence??
Old 11-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #57
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
Want to save about $300? And get a good riding, good preforming and good looking tire? Look into the Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's. $600 for 4 shipped to my door with a $50 gift card! (Tire Buyer.com) Lifetime balance and rotation at Wally world for $47, so basically $600 mounted and balanced out the door. Its been a great tire thus far...
size P265/75R/16's
Old 11-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #58
JimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud ofJimBCa has much to be proud of
Name: Jim
JimBCa's Tacoma Gallery
Off to the tire shop to get a set of Duratrac tires. They came in yesterday. Hard time to decide over KO's or those. Decided going to spend much of my winter in the mountain snow, so thought would give them a try.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #59
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Black on one side, white on other as far as I know, my father in law has 10ply bfgs on his dodge and has black walls out.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #60

not using the ko's for winter.... i use firestone winterforce studs