Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tire decision???? need a lil help !!

View Poll Results: what would you choose?
dick cepek Radial F-C II 13 8.72%
stock tires 2 1.34%
bfg t/a ko 10 ply white letter 57 38.26%
bfg t/a ko 8 ply black wall 79 53.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
devman80 is on a distinguished road

EMS: ems with local company
Name: Dev
devman80's Tacoma Gallery
Tire decision???? need a lil help !!

I really want the bf goodrich all terrain t/a ko and my dealer is trying to get me to buy dick cepek Radial F-C II.

any advice out there? also for the bfg's should i go 10ply or 8 ply... 10 got the white letters which id rather?
Attached Thumbnails
Tire decision???? need a lil help !!-bfgoodrichtako.jpg   Tire decision???? need a lil help !!-dick_cepek_radial_fcii.jpg  
Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
What size are you looking for? BFG is CLEARLY a better tire...

The BFG A/T should have the white lettering on one side and not the other regardless...

I would shy away from the load range E tires...
Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #3

@ 285/70/r17 the white letter only comes 10 ply.... id rather a lighter tire but .. also want the whites
Old 11-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
UBIQUE
Highland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHighland Logan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Canadian Army: Royal Canadian Artillery (Sgt, Ret.)
Name: Frank
Highland Logan's Tacoma Gallery
Drop both. The Grabber AT2, by General is on paper a better all around performer. And very quiet on the road.

Frank
Old 11-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
I would shy away from the load range E tires...
^x2. Load E is overkill for the little Tacoma (so is load D in my opinion). I don't know much about the Dick Cepek tires but I'm not a fan of the BFG A/Ts. I think there are much better options when it comes to A/T tires.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by devman80 View Post
@ 285/70/r17 the white letter only comes 10 ply.... id rather a lighter tire but .. also want the whites
I'll let someone else chime in here, but my 8ply on my last truck had the lettering...
Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #7

ive rid the bfgs on my ol ford i use to have.... not too noisy ... lasted a while... great performance .... im not to clear on ranges and specs?? any help?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
BakerTaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Will
BakerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've got black wall BFG A/Ts and LOVE them. I had the white wall ones before and I personally think the black looks way better/cleaner. Also these tires perform well on and off road. Last upwards of 50,000 miles!
Old 11-08-2012, 09:24 AM   #9

id rather 8 ply ... but still like the look of white walls/letter.... bakertaco do you find the 8ply alot harder on gas?? and is the taco pinning them with any issue?
Old 11-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
aidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shedaidenhardcore is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: miguel
aidenhardcore's Tacoma Gallery
Hey op, I would stay away from load e!!!!! I had the grabbers and the bfg ats and both were load e and yes It's an overkill. These trucks dont need a load e tire to preform great. It killed my gas millage. I lost about 2 to 3 mpg. Its so not worth it. I wouldn't go higher then a load c. Its a great load range, still not to heavy and great offroad.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
The Way Life Should Be
HighTideTaco is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Volunteer Firefighter II
Name: Jon
HighTideTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I can't comment too much on Load relevance (noob), but FYI, I recently bought General Grabber AT2s instead of BFG A/Ts. Performance has been excellent, road noise/drive satisfactory, and I saved c. $75/tire. Hope that helps.

Also, I posted pics upon request, so you can have a look if that's of interest: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ml#post5756018
Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #12

i really like the aggressiveness of the bfg ta ko... they only come in Lts tho
Old 11-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
BakerTaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Will
BakerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
id rather 8 ply ... but still like the look of white walls/letter.... bakertaco do you find the 8ply alot harder on gas?? and is the taco pinning them with any issue?
Obviously moving to an over-sized tire is gonna drop the MPGs a little. As for me, I haven't been able to get a spot on number because the odometer is programed for the 265 stock tires. With my 265s I got about 17-17.5 Now with the 285s I get about 16-16.5 You've just gotta drive conservatively. Also, the tires require more power from the engine. It pushes at about 100RPMs more that stock. Overall, this is a very small setback: 1 MPG lost. The BFG A/Ts are very good on gas for how well they perform on and off road.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
520Toyota is on a distinguished road
Name: C.V.
520Toyota's Tacoma Gallery
Got 75000 on the Cooper ST with at least 1/4 inch thread remaining. I only run Cooper on my trucks.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
hey man,
i just got some BFG AT's. I love em and they are the 10 ply range E tires. I havent noticed much drop in mpg. I do some heavy hauling and crush the range c tires. plus i like the white letters too. not sure about whether or not they come in other range's. I dont hear them on the road at all. Off road traction is very capable for what i do in the desert.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #16

i really like the agressiveness of the bfg t/a kos.... they only come in lts for 285/70/r17s ... 10 or 8 ply.... local dealer says 10 ply only for white letter... but just called bfg themselves.... guy said white letter on all.... but he didn't sound to sure of himself to me!! any body out there running 285/70/17 bfg t/a ko 8ply white letter????
Old 11-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntilehman View Post
hey man,
i just got some BFG AT's. I love em and they are the 10 ply range E tires. I havent noticed much drop in mpg. I do some heavy hauling and crush the range c tires. plus i like the white letters too. not sure about whether or not they come in other range's. I dont hear them on the road at all. Off road traction is very capable for what i do in the desert.

any pics??
Old 11-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #18
ntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shedntilehman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Infantry
Name: Seth
ntilehman's Tacoma Gallery
sure can bud. here ya go

Old 11-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #19
Member Caught Off Road

FWIW, I have never seen a BFG A/T that hasn't had the lettering...it may be facing inward, but its still there...
Old 11-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #20
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I really want the bf goodrich all terrain t/a ko and my dealer is trying to get me to buy dick cepek Radial F-C II.

any advice out there? also for the bfg's should i go 10ply or 8 ply... 10 got the white letters which id rather?

I Just replaced my Generals with MT baja ATZ's loving them, the have nice on road manners, not too noisy, and so far work well offroad including sand. I purchased them from 4wheelonline, no sales tax and free shipping.