1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I Put 7-8 Gal of diesel in my V6 taco

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rs5, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 10, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    :rofl:

2. Nov 10, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    sparkystaco

sparkystaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sparky
    SE Wi
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 dc trd ofrd
    3" lift? A.R.E cap 285/70/17 moto metal 955 17x9
    My first move would be to try and pull the fuel line and let the pump run, to empty the tank down to about 1/4 tank refill with gas and change pulgs, motor should start

as for nozzle size, alot of the stations around here now have diesel right next to gas and use the same size nozzles as gas, the only to tell is the diesel has a yellow cover on the handle

3. Nov 10, 2012 at 7:58 AM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    Some people really want a diesel Tacoma...

The Hunter likes this.
  4. Nov 10, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    The diesel won't ignite in your engine. If it was just a couple of gallons and the rest unleaded you might have been okay. You will have to drain the fuel and refill with unleaded and then crank, crank, crank to get the diesel out of the injectors.

It could be worse. Putting unleaded in a diesel is much worse.

5. Nov 10, 2012 at 8:18 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    This is right.

Since you ran the truck and sucked the diesel all the way through the system, this is going to take extensive work to repair, and probably some specialized equipment.

6. Nov 10, 2012 at 8:21 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Isn't diesel a little bit thicker than gas? Wouldn't it clog the fuel filter and injectors?

7. Nov 10, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    If you are going to the internet approach, I would page Krazie immediately and follow his direction.

8. Nov 10, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Agree with this.

That being said, there is usually a pressure check fitting located on the fuel rail. Not sure on the Tacoma, but if it's there, you can hookup a hose to that fitting and use that to drain the fuel into gas cans. You'll have to jump the fuel pump power to make it run with the engine off.

To do this, you have to have a place to dispose of the fuel, and the fuel pressure gauge/hose set. If you don't have that, it's probably not worth buying, just have the pros do it.

I doubt you've hurt anything else. I can't see the plugs being fouled, I would think they would dry out okay.

Good luck. Don't get in over your head, and don't attempt to fix this while you're in a panic.

9. Nov 10, 2012 at 8:37 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    We do these quite often.
    Contaminated fuel needs to be disposed of properly.
    Your looking at a lot of work with a posibility of residual carnage.
    Don't run the pump to drain.
    R and R is the ONLY way to do it right.
    Get professional help.
    Good luck
    Your gonna need it

10. Nov 10, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fuel filter is built into the fuel pump. Have to replace both together... That was why I brought that up about clogging the fuel filter.

11. Nov 10, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    Zing! :D

12. Nov 10, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    offroadwonder

offroadwonder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Aurora, CO
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    Chopped mud-flaps (yup, I'm hardcore)
    I would tend to agree with this. Diesel is a very low viscosity oil with a very high combustion temperature. So theoretically you should be able to flush out the diesel with little to no damage. The most likely things to be damaged would be a fuel filter and maybe a fuel pump if it is having to work too hard to pump the higher (than gasoline) viscosity fluid and burned itself out.

Someone else mentioned the catalytic converters could be damaged, but I would expect that is only a problem if it is run continuously with a diesel/gasoline mix.

Personally I would drain the fuel tank (that may require dropping the tank), replace any external fuel filters, test the fuel pump, reassemble everything and put in several gallons of gasoline. Then crank (intermittently to avoid burning up the starter) until the diesel has been purged from the injection system.

The caveat here is that this theory is based on low-tech gasoline engines of the past. The computer may be shutting the engine down on purpose to avoid damaging something. In this case I don't even know where I would start.

13. Nov 10, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    I just found out about this post. In the years that I have worked with GM, we have seen this condition hundreds of times (yeah, it is more common than you might think)
    and while the repair costs can get a bit expensive, you want to do it right.
    This can be done by yourself, but you have to do EVERYTHING, and not try to take shortcuts. This procedure is approved by GM, and I would be inclined to believe that Toyota would approve the same procedure. Do the steps in order, without changing them. To complete this you will need the following on hand before starting this process.

• 10 gallons of 87 octane fuel (for flushing)
    • 20 gallons of your choice of fuel that you normally run
    • 1 bottle of fuel injector cleaner (to be dumped into tank when time to do so)
    • 1 can of spray throttle body cleaner
    • 1 fuel filter
    • 1 fused jumper wire (20 amp)
    • compressed air source regulated down to 45 PSI.
    This is for most generic fuel systems, some fuel systems may vary. I am not responsible for anything that occurs when others use this procedure. Always use proper safety and environmental procedures when handling and disposing of fuel.

1. Disconnect fuel lines at fuel rail and connect an approved fuel line to the fuel supply line that is long enough to place into an approved disposal container. Place this hose discharge end into said container.
    2. Using a maximum regulated pressure of 45 psi, blow out the fuel return line to the tank from the fuel rail.
    3. Remove fuel pump relay.
    4. Connect a fused jumper wire across fuel pump relay connector (You will need to check the wiring for your specific vehicle to find the correct 2 terminals)
    5. Turn on ignition switch and allow fuel pump to run until all available fuel has been discharged. Turn off ignition switch.
    6. Add 5 gallons of unleaded gasoline.
    7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 one more time for a total of 10 gallons of unleaded gasoline.
    8. Replace fuel filter.
    9. Remove fuel rail/injectors and drain fuel rail.
    10. Using a can of throttle body cleaner, clean out fuel rail and clean injector inlets.
    11. Reinstall fuel rail and injectors.
    12. Add fuel injector cleaner to empty fuel tank.
    13. Add 20 gallons of recommended fuel to fuel tank. (this helps mix cleaner with fuel properly)
    14. Turn on ignition and allow fuel pump to run for 5 minutes. (this runs fuel through system and helps remove air)
    15. Turn off ignition.
    16. Remove fused jumper wire and reinstall fuel pump relay.
    17. Start engine. (It may take a few revolutions for vehicle to start, but it should start reasonably quickly)

Once you have done this I always recommend that the owner add fuel injector cleaner to the next 2 tanks of fuel. This procedure has been used successfully for years, and has been approved by GM for fuel contamination by diesel. It will NOT work for all types of contamination. (I had one customer who had a pissed off girlfriend add a gallon of bleach to his tank. The entire fuel system had to be replaced)

14. Nov 10, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    bash42

bash42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCLB TRD OR Super White
    X3

15. Nov 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Chrome don't get you home
    You are correct sir, according to one dealer that's also why they don't come with any type of theft lock on the door or cap.

16. Nov 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Smack that dealer employee in the head. Toyota, as well as most all other manufacturers have a rollover protection baffle that has been in place since around 2000. This device also doubles as a anti siphoning device as it prevents anything larger than around 1/16" to travel past it. The purpose of the device is to prevent fuel from leaking out the filler neck in case the truck rolls and ends up on it's roof or side. It has nothing to do with anti siphoning by DESIGN, however it works well for this.

The Hunter likes this.
  17. Nov 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    drill a hole in the bottom

18. Nov 10, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    Does the pump not have a yellow handle for diesel?

19. Nov 10, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    Brandon###

Brandon### Well-Known Member

Member:
    This isnt that big of a deal. Siphon some out and fill with gas to dilute it enough to run. It will run like chit with the remaining diesel, but it will eventually start to run right.

Dont let the dealerships take you for a ride.

Its not that big of a deal for a few gallons of diesel in a gas engine. The other way around is another story.

20. Nov 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    Not to sound like a jerk but if you put diesel in your gas tank working on your truck might not be your thing so you might want to listen to this.

Tucker771 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top