Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 steering wheel plastics, not the logo

Old 11-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
2012 steering wheel plastics, not the logo

Has anybody taken the plastics off of a 2012 steering wheel yet, I want to blackout the silver plastics around the steering wheel controls, not the logo, I did that already.

Anybody?

Last bit of silver and chrome plastic left that I have not painted flat black yet and I really want to blackout steering wheel

Thanks
Old 11-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Cain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant futureCain has a brilliant future

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
Happy Veterans Day and thank you for your Service
Old 11-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Off the top of my head, the plastics should be fairly simple to remove, but you with have to remove your airbag to access the screws for them. That is the tricky part, usually 2 T30 torx bolts on the sides and it comes off, but make sure the battery is disconnected before doing anything.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Sold it, dont miss it yet.
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^^

Member you are jerking on is a toyota tech. He is correct in his info.

He is stating that in order to remove the plastic trim that the OP is asking about you need to disconnect the battery since the airbag while be touched in the process.

Have you ever taken a column down or down a spiral cable? If so you will see he is correct in what he is talking about.

If you turn the wheel 90 degrees you will see the access holes on the back side of the main section of the wheel this will release the covers and allow access.

I do not think the color will fade it will just wear off if driver touches that area all the time while driving. Most plastics are just painted and not colored all the way through except for switches typically.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj973gm View Post
^^^^^^

Member you are jerking on is a toyota tech. He is correct in his info.
Thanks, but i knew what he was refering to. There was another thread where me and him and another member went back and forth for a while at that OP's expense. It was all in good fun, lots of joking, it's all good.

And BTW, i agree with your comment under your avatar, I hate Toyota extended warranties, MPP and Fidelity are the worst, i hate doing any repair out of factory warranty and STILL get paid warranty time, what kind of crap is that?!?!?
Old 11-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #8

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
Cheers men
Old 11-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
Sold it, dont miss it yet.
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
Thanks, but i knew what he was refering to. There was another thread where me and him and another member went back and forth for a while at that OP's expense. It was all in good fun, lots of joking, it's all good.

And BTW, i agree with your comment under your avatar, I hate Toyota extended warranties, MPP and Fidelity are the worst, i hate doing any repair out of factory warranty and STILL get paid warranty time, what kind of crap is that?!?!?
My best friend is a tech so I know what you mean.

I ended up with my warranty through purchase of the vehicle used, it is less than favorable.

I have done a number of repairs myself to pass on the headache from getting the run around.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #10

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
2 part epoxy paint is amazingly durable, thanks
Old 11-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #12

Cain's Tacoma Gallery
100 dollars for hot rod matte black for a quart and a half of paint, reducer and catalyst
Sprays very easy as long as you mist coat the first pass.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
Foxone is on a distinguished road
Foxone's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is an old post, but how did the recoloring go? Im the same boat right now.