Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front IFS Diff Locker

Old 11-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Ghost848's Tacoma Gallery
Front IFS Diff Locker

Ok guys, I have searched and serched and have found nothing, Besides an ARB and an auto locker is there an Elocker that would fit with little to no moddification? I have a rear Elocker but need to regear. I was looking and may be onto something with switching out a Hilux front IFS diff and they have lockers for those but not sure if its a plug and go. Thoughts/suggestions... this is not to be a pissing contest or a "JUST USE ARB" thread. Im on the hunt for an answer for this once and for all. I am willing to put my truck up on the block to use as a test dummy. Without solid axle swap of course.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
I doubt it would be easy and would probably require a lot of work to get an a Hilix diff up front.
I'm gonna say it, ARB would probably be cheaper and less work than swapping in a whole new custome diff just to run a different locker than a proven classic.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

i think I worded it wrong.... Im gonna try it... from my research the 05 hilux has the same front IFS diff as the 2 gen tacoma... so I have stubled apon a elocker that may work just wondering if im thinking right.. throw new gears in it and vwella! someone prove me wrong before I believe it myself lol
Link
http://www.harrop.com.au/4wd_detail....KR11110&cat=82
Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #4

stumbled upon even more promising info, the 05+ tacoma has the same IFS as the perado 120/150 which in turn are the same as the 05 Hilux.... thus meaning that elocker posed above ^^^ will work bolt in and wire and go...
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/#taco_ifs
Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
sparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nice

Name: Sparky
sparkystaco's Tacoma Gallery
from the link, that looks like its for a rear diff, the front diff in the 2gen is what they consider [or call] a clamshell design, meaning the two halves of the carrier hold the center section, its not a dropout as in the rear

if it was the same, there would be lots of companys out there making reverse cut gears so we could put e-lockers in the front diff
Old 11-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #6

http://www.justdifferentials.com/m/i...&cPath=490_494
here is another link saying all the same clamshell for the IFS thus this locker should fit... this company is based out of australia so there main focus is there orgin of vehicles? call me crazy but I think it may work on paper it looks good but...

sorry and to seal the deal

http://www.justdifferentials.com/ind...Path=22_37_484
booya tell me im wrong!
Old 11-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
just go with ARB, the air lockers are proven, and taken a chance to possibly be SOL
Old 11-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Without recommending that you install the ARB, I can recommend you use their research.

Check and see if the ARB part number for the front Tacoma IFS is the same as the part number for the other model(s) you're looking at. If it is - you know you're golden. If it isn't - you may not be SOL, as the variation may be in relatively minor areas like wiring harness, installation instructions, etc...
Old 11-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
just go with ARB, the air lockers are proven, and taken a chance to possibly be SOL
im determind to win this one lol

So besides using an "ARB" as i know was comming :P
look at the info, try and tell me its wrong.
Harrop is the same company as eaton lockers and well they have a good rep as well so im not worried
Old 11-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost848 View Post
its not worth it.... + than you get OBA for tire fills etc dude

they are worth the 1200 bucks itll cost you to get it here + the 1xxx to 2xxx in installs + gears
Old 11-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
SUbbed
Old 11-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
its not worth it.... + than you get OBA for tire fills etc dude

they are worth the 1200 bucks itll cost you to get it here + the 1xxx to 2xxx in installs + gears
No different than buying 2 arb lockers plus a compressor and airlines to hook up.... they are both ball park.
Just trying to open up a market for this as im interested and many others finally looking for an aswer.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

cjimenRR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjimenRR
Quote:

So besides using an "ARB" as i know was comming :P
look at the info, try and tell me its wrong.
Harrop is the same company as eaton lockers and well they have a good rep as well so im not worried
so how much does it run if you buy the Harrop diff?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #14

im guessing close to 1200 but do not quote me on that... im just in research stage ATM but if I get more folks agreeing with me ill start pricing and go from there.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #15
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with ARB and then you have support on this side of the world if your locker shits out on you. The e-locker may very well fit but I'd also wonder how robust it is.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #16

ok you guys are missing th point of this whole thread this just a thread to verify info, I knew the get arb was comming.. nothing aginst it just looking for alternatives not just for me but for others. so lets save the "Get ARB" and help for the cause... so anyone else see a flaw besides the fact that its not "ARB"
Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #17
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I can see that the hilux would be the same as ours, cause toyota is not gonna re-engineer a minor part like a diff for a different country for basically the same truck.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #18
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok you guys are missing th point of this whole thread this just a thread to verify info, I knew the get arb was comming.. nothing aginst it just looking for alternatives not just for me but for others. so lets save the "Get ARB" and help for the cause... so anyone else see a flaw besides the fact that its not "ARB"
Here is a flaw I see, as already pointed out. If it doesnt work correctly, who is going to know how to fix it? No support structure here in the states would put me off considering the $ spent on it
Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #19
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Is heard bad things about ifs and lockers. I am doing it though. Any input? No different than solid axle lockers I would think? Don't turn sharp...or at all...with it locked. Any other input?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #20
the habs fan

bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ pretty much it ^^^

keep your switch far away, watch you turning radius and have fun, its why mine was ordered :P

that log you needed to bump is no longer, just IMO makes sense