1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scan gauge VS Ultragauge

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Country101, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Nov 13, 2012 at 8:34 AM
    Space Junk

Space Junk Flight Ready

Member:
    Silicon Valley
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma access Cab TRD Off Road
    Another great feature of the Ultragauge is you can clear the check engine light with it. I need to install an add-a-fuse for another mod and was poking about in the fuse panel below the dash, pulled a fuse and turned the key to accessory which created a check engine and trac off lights to light. I was able to clear the code and the lights with the UG.

2. Nov 13, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    ssmith29440

ssmith29440 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TxPro Trd

3. Nov 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    I have the scanguage.

I tow a trailer a lot. So I really like to be able to watch the trans pan/conv. temps. Towing 5-6K can heat the trans faster than you think.

4. Nov 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The UG (or Scangauge for that matter) won't adjust the calibration on the speedo.

Here's the problem with using the UG as a speedo....

The UG and cluster use the same signal for a data source.
    The stock speedo is off by about 5-8%. The stock odometer is off by about half that amount.
    UG calibrates by adjusting distance traveled... you can have either distance or speed accurate, but not both. It'll take some experimentation to dial in the speed.

5. Nov 13, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    badger

badger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    This is truth. I used a Dakota Digital unit to adjust the incoming signal and set the factory cluster at dead accurate ODO. The speedo is off by maybe 2-3%. Then I calibrated the Scangauge with that input signal for the correct speed. I did that because I use the trip ODOs for navigation. The slight mismatch on the distance in the SG is of no consequence. So now I have dead accurate speed and ODO functions.

6. Nov 13, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    OTOH, though it takes experimentation, with a GPS and straight, open road where you can get up to 80 (or your legal limit), you can dial in speed in an hour or so.

To get the odo dead accurate, you need a few hundred miles.

Remember, a 1% error is only 1 mile every 100.

7. Nov 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM
    chipnoreo

chipnoreo Ready for snow!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    Getting 30 mpg on the highway
    I got the scangauge, I think before the Ultragauge came out.

It is not as aesthetically pleasing as the ultragauge but gets the job done. I just have it mounted under the climate controls with velcro for now. When I take out the dash to put in a new cd player I am going to figure out a better way to mount it. Until then...

I am not sure what the ultragauge specs are but the scangauge has a number of preset functions that it reads. It can also be used to read and clear codes and will give you specific statistics for each trip you take. (if you are really worried about fuel consumption....)

The nice thing about it is that it has "x gauge" where you can program a number of other, possibly more useful things. Not sure if the ultragauge does that or not....

http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge-commands/

8. Nov 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Subbed. I've had a sg2 for several years in my Tacomas, and just got an ultra gauge through the gb that I'm putting in my 4runner. I'll know how I like the ultra gauge in a week or so. I'll be spending some quality time with it driving to Oregon and back at thanksgiving. LOL

Products Discussed in

To Top