1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scan gauge VS Ultragauge

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Country101, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Nov 12, 2012 at 8:42 AM
    Country101

Country101 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    What is the differance in the functions of these? I looked throught he lists of gauges and only saw maybe 1-2 differances. The ultragauge looks a lot better and is half the price. So why would anybody buy the scan gauge? If you have either and have seen both, what are the pros and cons to them?

I read that you can calibrate your distance with the ultra guage to compensate for larger tires. Does this change your spedometer, or just what it displays on the ultragauge?

2. Nov 12, 2012 at 8:47 AM
    tacofire38

tacofire38 Captain Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Land o Pears,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco PreRunner SR5
    V-Tech gunmetalrims, BFG All-Terrains, Front 5100s and OME 884 coils, Rear 5160s, Rear AAL, SpiderTrax Wheel Spacers, Hummer Bed Rack, Thule Kayak Roof Racks........
    Bump for info for me too:D ive been wondering this for a while

3. Nov 12, 2012 at 9:09 AM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    Lots of threads mentioning scanguage/ultragauge without much usefull info. Thanks for the links. The one was quality.

I married my tacoma likes this.
  4. Nov 12, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    The Ultra Gauge can be calibrated but it WILL NOT adjust your speedometer/odometer. You will have to use something like the Hypertech Speedometer Calibrater to do that. That is what I use to adjust for different tires/gears.

5. Nov 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    So can/will the dealership reprogram the computer for you if you have larger tires?

6. Nov 12, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Larger tires FIXED my speedo lol.

I tries both gauges and ultimately sold both. If I had to pick one I'd go with the Ultra just because its more aesthetically pleasing and its cheaper.

7. Nov 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    dealership wont do anything for you. I called multiple around here and they said there was nothing I could do about it. I got the hypertech calibrator and fixed it right away.

8. Nov 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Looking through the available items, keep in mind that not everything listed is available on every vehicle.
    Example: UG can not read Tacoma trans temperature.

The UG forum has not been accepting new registrations for over a year now, so it is useless, and it seems that the owners/programmers have the attitude of "the customer will take what we give them since we're cheaper"

I like my UG, but wish that it would do a few more things, including trans temp, and read the actual tire pressure from the TPMS (the pressure is in the ECU).

I like the screen on the UG better, but I wish the cable were detachable. To deter theft of this little device that looks like a GPS, you have to mount it in a way that you can remove it and hide it without the cable being apparent, or it needs to be mounted in a way that it is not apparent from outside.
    I mounted mine above the mirror so the darkened spots on the windshield conceal it.

9. Nov 12, 2012 at 11:01 AM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Mr Grimm, Thanks. I called my local dealership and they said they couldnt do it either. You would think they would be able to reprogram thier own computers......

Rich, is there problems with just unplugging it and stashing it in the console when you get out? Only the short term info should be lost, but I would think that would happen when you turn your truck off. Aside from having to plug it back in, I dont see any issues. I'm lazy so it would probably stay out anyway. I noticed that I couldnt read tranny temp, but that doesnt really bother me. Having actual tire pressure in each tire would be nice, if the info is already in the computer. How did you mount yours above the mirror? With the window mount they have or was it custom?

10. Nov 12, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It can be unplugged and plugged back in any time. No information will be lost. It has an "SRT" buffer that reads mileage, average speed, and fuel used since "last reboot" that I find more useful than instantaneous MPG... in fact, my normal display is:

MPG Trip - - - MPG Srt
    Gallons Used (tank) - - - Avg Speed Srt
    Miles Trip - - - Gallons Used Srt

I really should change the Avg Speed and Gallons Srt to something more useful, like coolant temp and intake air temp. I've changed the layout a couple of times.

The problem with not reconnecting it is that it then becomes useless as an MPG monitor, it won't properly track fuel used, distance to empty, etc... Really, if it won't be connected every time the truck is started, you may as well save the $70 and not buy it, because at that point, the only thing it will be useful for is checking and resetting check engine light codes.
    When I ordered mine, they were out of stock on mounts, so I fabbed up a mount using a U-bolt and some hardware and velcro.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Panel on the left is upon arrival at work in the morning.
    Panel on the right is the same day when I got home.

[​IMG]

11. Nov 12, 2012 at 12:05 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    I have the UG, i feel like its kind of useless. I agree with Josh.

ok so you set it up, you will know exact engine temp, intake temp, barometric pressure, instant and avg MPG... anything TRULY useful you will have to 'nanny' yourself on the UG or it simply doesnt read... (tranny temp, TPMS, fuel sender info, oil pressure, oil temp)

examples...
    sure it'll track fuel usage, and fuel in your tank, but not until its calibrated and you have to hold a button on the back every time you fill up your truck. kind of like doing it with pen and paper... its information is only as good as you set it up, and maintain it to be...

it reads exact engine temp... bfd... so now you know when the needle in the middle of the gauge, where it always sits, is 190. you'll know the engine compartment temperature and realize that all the fuss people make about "CAI" are a complete joke... you'll know the barometric pressure, possibly be able to predict if it will rain that evening...

pointless. but i guess, nice to have??

E90A37F2-5FA5-44EE-B300-270B38B44C59-664_ffdf13cab032d2f40f8cc217452740789c7a52ba.jpg

[​IMG]

12. Nov 12, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Rich, I meant I would leave it out and plugged in. I would be too lazy to unplug it and then put it in later. :D How hard was it to run your cable under the roof pad? I assume it would just tuck right in. Did you run it behind the pillar plastic? I wouldnt have thought there was that much cord on it. If you did, how do you take the plastic off the pillar?

Kevin, I was wondering if it would fit in there. I read somewhere that it wouldnt, but that may have been a differant model. If you dont like it I'll take it off your hands cheap. :D

13. Nov 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    The cord is plenty long for that. I tucked it under the front of the headliner and ran it down the A-pillar.
    To remove the pillar, just pop the two caps from the grab handle, remove the handle, and the cover pulls right off.
    There's a gap between the dash cover and the pillar that's large enough to pass the gauge's OBD-II connector.

14. Nov 12, 2012 at 1:57 PM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Cool. I'll keep that in mind when I get one. I like it in the spot you put it. I would like a little bit cleaner look than the ubolts though. I saw one custom mount that slid underneath the roof pad instead of coming of the rearview mount. Might be able to do that if I can find the right material.

15. Nov 12, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    ssmith29440

ssmith29440 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TxPro Trd
    1351633395906.jpg

I have my Scan Guage mounted so all I have to do is unplug the unit, tuck the wire under the dash and put the unit under the seat so it can not be seen. I researched both units before purchasing and decided to go with the scan guage.

16. Nov 12, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I tried a bicycle reflector mount as recommended by others, but it was too big to clamp to the square-ish mirror stem on my base model.

When I get off my lazy ass, I'll be swapping the mirror for a Gentex compass/temp mirror and I'll give the reflector mount another try.

But as ghetto as it looks, you can't see the hardware from the seated position and it's not obvious from the outside of the truck.

17. Nov 13, 2012 at 5:32 AM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Steve, what did you see that made it worth the extra money?

Rich, I think I may try to drill and tap the A-pillar and mount it just about the dash. I got to thinking about it and if I am going to use it to compensate for larger tires, I need it in a more easily viewable location. I did take my GPS last night and found out that I am actually pretty close to being right on, but I'm going to get larger one in the future. I got plenty of time to think about mounts..............

18. Nov 13, 2012 at 6:55 AM
    Space Junk

Space Junk Flight Ready

Member:
    Silicon Valley
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma access Cab TRD Off Road
    I used a plastics corner, those used to protect the edge of a box when you band it down to a pallet.
    I used Velcro to mount the Ultragauge to the corner and the corner to the top of my steering wheel in front of the dash gauges. Highly visible, easily adjustable and more importantly, no ugly holes to look at when the gauge eventually breaks and goes in the garbage!

19. Nov 13, 2012 at 7:19 AM
    Country101

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
  20. Nov 13, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    Space Junk

Space Junk Flight Ready

Member:
    Silicon Valley
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma access Cab TRD Off Road

Products Discussed in

To Top