Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do I replace bed side panels or the whole bed?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
patbea is on a distinguished road
patbea's Tacoma Gallery
Do I replace bed side panels or the whole bed?

Hi all,
New to the site so hopefully I am posting in the correct location? If not someone let me know. Thanks.

Problem: I kind of wrecked my 2008 Tacoma bed sidewalls (both sides). Can I get some opinions on what is the correct course of action (they need to be fixed). The rest of the bed is good, just the sidewall got damaged.

1- Can I just change out the side panels? If I go this way it appears that sidewall parts are available online. Do the panels just bolt on or are they welded? I do not have welding experience or a welder so if this is needed I may have to replace the whole bed. Seems this is the less expensive option and I am on a tight budget.

2- Complete bed replacement. Again it appears parts are available but the cost is 2X the panel replacement.
What are the steps to remove the bed?
Anyone know the weight of the bed?
Will I need some type of lift tool?
Any one have manuals/tutorials on this they can send me?

Thanks. PJ
Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
you can remove/add bedside without a welder/torch. they use bolts. to get them off, pry off the rail caps and remove bed rail system. this will loosen top part. remove tail lights and bolts, and then look under truck for additional bolts to remove that holds the bed sides to a bracket to the composite bed. look around the tailgate for bolts that would loosen the metal from the bed as well. I've never done this, someone correct me if i'm wrong.

ive seen a guy remove the entire bed my unbolting the 4 bolts in the composite bed to get to the fuel tank. but like you said, if your actual composite part is fine, i would just remove the sides.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
patbea is on a distinguished road
patbea's Tacoma Gallery
Thank Taco Dan,
Glad to here they only bolt on. Thats the way I will go.

Anybody know of a aftermarket maker of Tacoma body parts like JC Whittney? Only ones I can find are for the forward quarter panels? They are significantly less than Toyota dealers and cheaper than some wrecking yards?

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
k2pow is on a distinguished road

k2pow's Tacoma Gallery
Long time no post... Curious what people are doing for the rear beds now a days. I have damage to my right rear quarter and rear bumper are gone. I've bounced back and forth of maybe getting the whole bedside from glassworks or comparable and then a custom rear bumper, but feel the front will need the same make over to match which just blows the budget.

Anyone out there that has taken off stock stuff and willing to part so I can make my poor taco decent to look at?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
mackietaco is on a distinguished road
Name: MACKIE
mackietaco's Tacoma Gallery
I bet this dude already got rid of the taco