Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Using 2 sets of Hellwig 550 EZ helpers

Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Yes
rjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
rjg's Tacoma Gallery
Using 2 sets of Hellwig 550 EZ helpers

I read a while back on another forum of someone that used 2 sets of 550 helper springs. One set in the front of the axle and one set behind. Since I have one set, I thought this may help with sag when towing a trailer and hauling weight in the bed.

Has anyone on here tried this? I am just looking at a cost savings. Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
have you thought about getting air springs like the firestones?

if you are considering a second set of helper springs i think it might be time to upgrade the whole system.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...er-spring-kits
Old 11-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #3
ecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedecoterragaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ecoterragaia's Tacoma Gallery
I went with the Hellwig EZ 990 one piece helper springs. Had them on for two years now, and they work as advertised. Note that i didnt have any issues with sagging before i installed them
Old 11-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoterragaia View Post
I went with the Hellwig EZ 990 one piece helper springs. Had them on for two years now, and they work as advertised. Note that i didnt have any issues with sagging before i installed them
Is it noticeably stiffer after the install?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
Yes
rjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrjg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
rjg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
have you thought about getting air springs like the firestones?

if you are considering a second set of helper springs i think it might be time to upgrade the whole system.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...er-spring-kits

Thanks. I have considered those. The truck with the 550's sags slightly with a 600 lb ATV in the bed. It is definitely better than without the helpers.

Since I may try and do some light towing at the same time, I thought an additional set may help even more. Just being cheap, however sometimes doing that ends up costing more money..
Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg View Post
Thanks. I have considered those. The truck with the 550's sags slightly with a 600 lb ATV in the bed. It is definitely better than without the helpers.

Since I may try and do some light towing at the same time, I thought an additional set may help even more. Just being cheap, however sometimes doing that ends up costing more money..
thats usualy my case. do it right the first time and that way you wont have to worry about it not being what you want.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I have a front and back set of the advance auto cheaper version of the helwig 550's and it works well. The front set helps with wheel hop/stuttering when braking or taking off from a stop. I don't have any info to back it up but I feel like having front and rear helpers balances the leaf spring better than just have 1 helper on it. Either way, it definitely helps improve the ride and handling and it cost a whole hell of a lot less than a new leaf pack.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
chetweewax is on a distinguished road

chetweewax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
I have a front and back set of the advance auto cheaper version of the helwig 550's and it works well. The front set helps with wheel hop/stuttering when braking or taking off from a stop. I don't have any info to back it up but I feel like having front and rear helpers balances the leaf spring better than just have 1 helper on it. Either way, it definitely helps improve the ride and handling and it cost a whole hell of a lot less than a new leaf pack.
Did you notice any difference in the stance after you put these on. I just bought a single set for my taco, really doing it because with the cap on the rear sits lower than the front, was hoping this would give me an inch up in the rear.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
It did raise it a bit, maybe an inch.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
LaTorre is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
LaTorre's Tacoma Gallery
I have the firestone air bags ride is great can't go wrong.