Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Solar panel battery charger.

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #61
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked 2007 View Post
Those devices are typically 10-20Ah (this one is 22Ah according to the specs)- that wont get you very far with the stuff skygear is running. a 100w (charging a laptop) item plugged into that would run 1-2 hours if your lucky- and that would be a 100% drain which isnt good to do because its a small AGM battery in there and max DoD should be 80% - 50% giving you the most cycles

they are good for jumpstarting or running very low wattage LED during power outages but that about it.

The nice thing about this is the small footprint it has. And if one battery is not enough it has a removable battery so you can carry a second one. Then the next day while driving just plug in to cig outlet to recharge.

But to do it the solar way you really need a large panel or two and a few deep cycle batteries to do it right but you could easily blow $700-800 bucks on that.

Just google solar power supply for a cabin. Thats basicly what you need. Panel, Batteries, Inverter and an overcharge protector.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #62
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of

Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utard View Post
The nice thing about this is the small footprint it has. And if one battery is not enough it has a removable battery so you can carry a second one. Then the next day while driving just plug in to cig outlet to recharge.

But to do it the solar way you really need a large panel or two and a few deep cycle batteries to do it right but you could easily blow $700-800 bucks on that.

Just google solar power supply for a cabin. Thats basicly what you need. Panel, Batteries, Inverter and an overcharge protector.
I understand the size factor. I have a full 100w panel setup on my truck with 2 group 31m batteries, MPPT charge controller, etc.

Those charge boosters are nice and portable. I was just commenting that with 20amp hours in them with an AGM battery that shouldn't be discharged more than 50% you got 10 usable amp hours which isn't much. Yes you can fire up the car to recharge but that defeating the purpose of sky gear question and for people who want to park for extended periods of time without starting.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #65
Solar Taco Addict
qwertynerd is a splendid one to beholdqwertynerd is a splendid one to beholdqwertynerd is a splendid one to beholdqwertynerd is a splendid one to beholdqwertynerd is a splendid one to beholdqwertynerd is a splendid one to beholdqwertynerd is a splendid one to behold

qwertynerd's Tacoma Gallery
Just do this . . .

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...olar-taco.html
Old 09-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #66
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of

Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
Solar panel battery charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertynerd View Post
Looks good. I went with a 100w panel and a national luna power pack with remote meter in front). I got one 100amp/hr group 31 odyssey battery under the hood and one in the power pack. I didn't hard mount my panel so I can use the 25' cord to move it to the sun when I want to park in the shade.

I used a blue sky energy solar boost 2512ix MPPT with the blue sky pro IPN remote meter. Controler is capable is 300w+ so I can add later if needed.

Currently it runs my ARB fridge, all nighttime LED lights, 600w inverter and any other accessories I need when camping.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #67
shawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of lightshawnd2 is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Shawn
shawnd2's Tacoma Gallery
From what I gathered from the OPs original post, he is going on a road trip (not sitting in one spot for a month) and maybe sleeping in his truck some nights and doesn't want to worry about running down the battery.
As others have mentioned a $60 power pack works great.
I've charged the power pack, laptop, IPad etc. all with the cigarette lighter during the day, at night we run down the laptop etc batteries, if we need more time then we plug it into the power pack and run for a few more hours if needed, and repeat the next day.
This way you never touch the trucks battery and risk draining it.
If by chance you drain and damage the power packs battery (although mine has low voltage protection and has lasted several years) you are only out $60 and it probably has more then a 30 day warranty anyway.
All these $1000 solar set ups and generators are great if you are in one spot for days, have the room, and knowledge but seems like way overkill to me for I guy that wants to go on a road trip.

Shawn.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:50 PM   #68
Reaper's Taco
ReaperTaco98 is a name known to allReaperTaco98 is a name known to allReaperTaco98 is a name known to allReaperTaco98 is a name known to allReaperTaco98 is a name known to allReaperTaco98 is a name known to all

Army: Sgt. 2-8IN 2-4ID 13F Fister
Name: Tyler
ReaperTaco98's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
not yet. been really busy the last month and a half and haven't had more than a couple hours free at any given time. I did toss about 5 watts worth of panels on my dash though. hooked them up to a trickle unit to maintain the battery. seems to be doing well.

Where did you get these panels at?

Products Discussed in this Thread