Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Buy Used or Buy New?

Old 11-16-2012, 04:09 PM   #21
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I tried for months to find a nice low mileage used Taco. They were all within a couple thousand of new so I ended buying a new one. Better interest rate on the loan helped too.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #22
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on the time of year I would say. Email several dealers in your area & compare prices of used vs new. IMO if the truck has some miles (from 20-50k) and it saves you around 5 or 6 thousand that would be a decent deal if it was maintenanced properly.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #23
4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
4x4Taco2012's Tacoma Gallery
I intended to buy used when I started looking since the truck is a third vehicle, but I ended up buying new due to the outrageous prices used Tacos were going for (which is a good thing!). It didn't make sense to me to pay $3K less for a two year old truck with 30-40K miles on it than it did for a brand new one. I would buy new if I were in your shoes. If you don't care whether it's a '12 or '13 I would jump on a '12 if you can find one on a close-out. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #24
GWinstead is on a distinguished road
Army:
GWinstead's Tacoma Gallery
I spent spring of 2012 looking for a used one. Downside of that was not finding a truck with all the things I wanted and felt necessary, and, as noted many times above, the cost of used ones are pretty high. Based on that, I bought new. No regrets.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #25
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
I bought used this time. Only because it was hard to find exactly what I wanted. TRD Off Road DCSB with a 6 speed. Paid a lot for it, but that's what I wanted.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #26
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
I went new as well- did not make sense to go used considering the value of new vs used. Plus as mentioned, financing was easier, etc etc
Old 11-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #27
sexual ninja
barker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
barker14's Tacoma Gallery
I bought used. But only because I got a ridiculous deal on the truck. At the time I was just finished college so buying new wasn't really an option. If I hadn't found a used truck at such a good price by now I might have gone used.

On another note, I use my truck as a truck. So when I'm driving in to the camp and a tree limb scratches the paint a bit, at least it's not a brand new truck I'm scratching
Old 11-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #28
Spruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpruced UP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: '90-96
Name: Eric
Spruced UP's Tacoma Gallery
For me, I was dead set on Spruce Mica, which was first offered in '12. I also wanted a DCLB. There was no option for a used Taco with these requirements. So, when my '05 Escape died, unexpectedly, I didn't really think twice about getting a new one. LOL
Old 11-17-2012, 10:25 AM   #29
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
You will typically have more bargaining room on a used vehicle than on a new vehicle. There is not a lot of profit in new vehicles.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #30
aCab is on a distinguished road
aCab's Tacoma Gallery
Man, new DCLBs are hard to find! Went to 4 dealership today - only one I could find was a new Emerald Green TRD Sport Limited. $36k - no thanks.

Was offered a Silver DCSB 13' TRD Off Road 4x4 with etune for $30,298. :eek3:

Not sure how I feel about the Short Bed, but the TRD Off Road seemed to ride better than the Used TRD Sport DCLB I drove.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #31
slbible is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Steve
slbible's Tacoma Gallery
$30,298 is an outstanding price. I would have jumped on it.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #32
geoff7877 has a spectacular aura aboutgeoff7877 has a spectacular aura about

geoff7877's Tacoma Gallery
New, hands down. Close to the same price. After financing options on new, your pavements would probably be the same if not better on new one.

Full warranty, no miles and you can get exactly what you want.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #33
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff7877 View Post
New, hands down. Close to the same price. After financing options on new, your pavements would probably be the same if not better on new one.

Full warranty, no miles and you can get exactly what you want.
X10
Old 11-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #34
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff7877 View Post
After financing options on new, your pavements would probably be the same if not better on new one.
Maybe true in some cases but not in mine. I went slightly used and saved ~13% on the monthly payment (same term, fully priced out after haggling etc.). Which just means I can pay it off sooner.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #35
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Someone told me the sales tax on a new car is partially deductable on your tax return while a used cars sales tax is not .

Can anyone confirm of this is true or not ?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 AM   #36
bash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbash42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bash42's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD Toy85 View Post
Someone told me the sales tax on a new car is partially deductable on your tax return while a used cars sales tax is not .

Can anyone confirm of this is true or not ?
I think that was the case a few years ago but I am not sure if it is anymore.

Google is a wonderful invention
Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #37
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bash42 View Post
I think that was the case a few years ago but I am not sure if it is anymore.

Google is a wonderful invention

It sure is , would be worth looking up if someone was still hung up on new vs used .
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #38
VoyageTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
VoyageTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Buy New

If you can, this is one of those things that you certainly want to buy new.

The Tacoma holds its value so exceptionally well that it makes no sense to pay for a used item when the new is not much more.

I wouldn't want a truck that I don't know the history of how it's been maintained and used.

My 2003 trade in got $11,000 with 103,000 miles. That's pretty amazing. In contrast, my mother's $40,000 new 2003 Mercedes was traded in this past year for 6,000. I can't believe that my Tacoma cost less but has more value in the end.

BUY NEW!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #39
Lwolf777 is on a distinguished road
Name: Pj
Lwolf777's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say go new if possible, at least then you know what was, or has been done to it from the get go. Like it was said the new vs used price is close, so why not new? Good luck
Old 01-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #40
JDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
JDeLuca's Tacoma Gallery
I started out looking for used, but after months of looking bought new. Seemed like the for sale by owners would be sold when I called and the dealers wanted way too much compared to a new truck. Happy with new!