Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Buy Used or Buy New?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
aCab is on a distinguished road
aCab's Tacoma Gallery
Buy Used or Buy New?

Hi All,

Recently made the decision to dump my F250 7.3 PSD for a Tacoma. In searching for a used one, they really do seem to keep their value - which brings up the question - it is better to go brand new?

Im looking for a Double Cab Long Bed 4x4 w/TRD Sport Package. Most of the used ones from 05/06 have 100k+ miles, and are sill $18-20k. 07-09 have 80k to 100k miles and are $19-22k. 08+ that have 50k miles are still $24-28k. Almost brand new '12 models with 6k miles are going for more than I got a quote on on a brand new '13. ($30k used vs. $30k new).

Would it be worth it just to get a brand new one? What position were you in when you bought your tacoma and what did you choose to do? New/Used?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Enzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to beholdEnzo is a splendid one to behold
Name: Opie
Enzo's Tacoma Gallery
Yes these things hold their value well (welcome to Toyota). I'd get a new truck if I were you.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i bought USED. i found a smoking good deal and flew to los angelos to buy it.

06 (i got it in 2009, so a 3-year old truck) with 36000 miles..got it for $19k. paid cash, and never had a truck payment. the seller took a huge depreciation hit, not me. i love my truck and intend to drive it until something important falls off onto the road.

i would be patient and find a GREAT used truck.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
arnette64 is on a distinguished road

Name: Alexandre
arnette64's Tacoma Gallery
Just bought a 2006 TRD sport double cab 1 month ago with 107000 km, feel like new, nothing to do on the truck! My best move so far and i love this truck!!

And I save a lot of money compared to a new one that is the same truck except for the interior and the front end!!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
There is no easy call when it comes to choosing between new and used. Look at each used truck separately. Are the tires good? Does it need brakes or other maintenance issues, tuneup, filters? Often new can get a lower loan rate.

Write down all of the expect first 6 months erxpected repair expenses for a used and compare against your new truck.

One other thing, talk with your insurance company first about both trucks so you have no surprises on monthly insurance premiums. Some insurance compaies REALLY stick it to you when you opt for a "TRD" whether used or new. As if that decal really changes the truck.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
StormTrooperTaco has a spectacular aura aboutStormTrooperTaco has a spectacular aura about
StormTrooperTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Answer is; if you wanted a good shape low miles 2 year old car, its better to go new. Basically same price, easier financing options, etc.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
I went with a new truck because I NEEDED something with a quad cab and something dependable. I knew I wanted a Taco because they are so well built and if I were to buy used with a loan the monthly payments woul be the same as a new truck.

If you have the cash for a used out right purchase do that
Old 11-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
GoHuskers is on a distinguished road
GoHuskers's Tacoma Gallery
I was in the same boat. All used Tacomas cost way too much. I finally got a new one at $$$$ below invoice. If you can find left over 2012 there is $1500 cash rebate on these.

Got a new one if you can afford it. Insurance is cheaper on new one versus used ones (Allstate gives me discount on new one, but not used one). Good luck.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Get off your horse and drink your milk.
teamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant futureteamamerica has a brilliant future

teamamerica's Tacoma Gallery
i bought new for the first time. i had a few used cars and when they shit out, i'm out of luck. since i'm in the army i dont have the most opportunities to work on my truck (and i'm not too mechanically savvy) seem like new was the way to go. (and now i know 100% of everything ever done to my vehicle!)
but to each his own.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #10
I love snow!
chipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shedchipnoreo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Girdwood Fire Department
Name: Anna
chipnoreo's Tacoma Gallery
I saved a lot buying used. found a good deal on a 2006 TRD sport for 19k out the door. Looked at a brand new SR5 for 26k. For me, it was a "have to buy NOW" situation and I just didn't have the resources to commit to another 7 grand. I liked the 2006 better anyway. The TRD and the color... and it was already lifted with an ok kit.

Regardless, they hold their value great.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Grundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Grundletaint's Tacoma Gallery
Speaking of used 2012s, i think I've decided to sell mine. It's pyrite mica and has a softopper, bedrug mat w/ tailgate mat, weather window visors. Has entune, too. PM me if you want to discuss further. Also have a napier sportz tent and airbedz if you have any interest in those.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
TruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant futureTruKnight has a brilliant future

Name: Tru
TruKnight's Tacoma Gallery
the general rule is that unless you find the deal of the decade on a used one, buy new.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
JDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDeLuca is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
JDeLuca's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking for a used Tacoma. I was looking out of state. By the time I figured air fair and travel time I decided to go new. Just picked up my 2013 Sport. Paid a few more thousand but it was worth it to me.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #14
TRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud ofTRD Toy85 has much to be proud of
TRD Toy85's Tacoma Gallery
I'm on the same boat , I've had my eye on a tacoma for months now , and they defiantly hold their value and we all know why .

I just couldn't justify spending 20k on something used with 20k that may be abused , when for 30 I got a brand spanking new truck that has the exact options and colors I want .

The one part that made my decision tough is I sold all of my speed toys , and I miss then have the itch to buy another , I wanted to spend 15-20 on a used truck and then buy a sporty toy . But I just couldn't find any trucks that I liked and had low mileage for under 20k

I bit the bullet and purchased a new 2013 , fully loaded !
Old 11-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
DJL519 has a spectacular aura aboutDJL519 has a spectacular aura about
Name: DJ
DJL519's Tacoma Gallery
just purchased a new (30 miles) 2012 TRD OR AC Auto last month. MSRP $32,212. paid $27,284.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
mdurbs68 is just really nicemdurbs68 is just really nicemdurbs68 is just really nicemdurbs68 is just really nicemdurbs68 is just really nice

mdurbs68's Tacoma Gallery
I also had a hard time deciding new vs. used. I went used when I found a 2010 dc TRD sport 4wd with 31,000 miles for $24,000. Truck was dealer serviced. Seemed like a better deal to me vs new. Didn't want the huge payment with new. Good luck on your search. Either way it is a great truck.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #17
CLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shedCLynch is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Charlie
CLynch's Tacoma Gallery
I was offered a used 10 for 19000 by dealer. I looked at price of new and bought it the next day. Service for 25000 miles and lifetime inspections at my dealership. New one cost me an extra 4 grand out the door but it only had 33 miles.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #18
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
On An Island's Tacoma Gallery
If it's a fiscally viable option, go new - I did. You never have to wonder how it's been treated or what will go south on you next.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #19
aCab is on a distinguished road
aCab's Tacoma Gallery
So far I'm leaning towards new. My job allows me to write of a lease, so maybe I'll go that route.

That being said, a used truck certainly has its advantages. What are a few major things to look for when buying a used truck?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #20
cjcarner is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Colin
cjcarner's Tacoma Gallery
It really depends on your buying timeline. If you need to buy one soon, you might have to get a new one. If you can wait, you may be able to find a great used deal.

Benefit of new is that you can have pretty much exactly what you want without having to wait and without having to worry about buying someone else's problems.

Products Discussed in this Thread