1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DDM Tuning HID Experience

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by halfway72, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Nov 14, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    halfway72

halfway72 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT LB
    Cosmetic stuff.... best part HomerTaco Raptor Grille. Need to get a lift, armor and lockers.
    I don't know if bashing a company is frowned upon in this forum or not but so I'm going to avoid "bashing" and just give solid facts about my experience and suggest that you all don't use them. If this isn't acceptable I'll remove it.

I bought the DDM HID Kit Slim Ballast 55w 6000K for a buddy of mine that has a Toyota Camry. We installed them in May or June of this year (2012). The pictures below were taken a month ago. One of the bulbs is now showing a 4000K Color.

So naturally I e-mail DDM Tuning to figure out what to do and how to get it replaced. So I submit a "ticket" like they request and at the time I didn't have pictures. So then I had to send in another "ticket" for the warrenty. Waited 2 or 3 weeks and got NOTHING back. So I submit yet another "ticket" and within a day the same person from the first ticket sent to the "Customer Support" says "Sign into our website with your username and password to view the correspondance". Funny story, never set one up before so I try to and my e-mail is already registered? So I can't register and can't see the e-mails. Excellent.

So here I am a month later no fix to the problem and he's still driving around with one 6000k one 4000k.

To make a fat story thin, do what you want when it comes to HID lights but I'm staying a long ways away from DDM Tuning. Remember... you get what you pay for!

photo 3.jpg
    photo 2.jpg

2. Nov 14, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Posting on here might actually get you some help. Honestly I would call them. Email is a crappy means of communication when you can get so much more from a phone call.

3. Nov 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM
    halfway72

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT LB
    Cosmetic stuff.... best part HomerTaco Raptor Grille. Need to get a lift, armor and lockers.
    Can't find a number anywhere. I'll look again though. Thanks

4. Nov 14, 2012 at 3:15 PM
    J Rod

J Rod Loves Sammiches.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Where theres more livestock than humans.
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJC
    16x8 Method NV Wheels, 285/75/16 Duratracs, Axe/Shovel Mount for Roof Rack, Tuffy Light Mount, Rigid Industries 40" LED light bar, Husky Liner floor mats, TT Blackout all around.
    I've had problems with not one, but two ballasts they sent me. And when I called them to warranty out the first ones, they pretty much told me that I would need to buy another ballast to use while the first one is being warrantied. That is if I didn't want to drive around with a headlight out for 4-8 weeks. Then that ballast I purchased crapped too, go figure. Never again will I buy from them, EVER.

5. Nov 14, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    halfway72

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT LB
  6. Nov 14, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    J Rod

J Rod Loves Sammiches.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Where theres more livestock than humans.
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJC
    16x8 Method NV Wheels, 285/75/16 Duratracs, Axe/Shovel Mount for Roof Rack, Tuffy Light Mount, Rigid Industries 40" LED light bar, Husky Liner floor mats, TT Blackout all around.
    Nobody other than TRS will get my money from now on also. Just got in on their last group buy for projectors.

7. Nov 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Email is the only way with DDM.

They used to have a phone, but they killed the 800 number in late 2009.

Their official line was "to fairly serve customers in the order the issue is received".

Reading between the lines: They laid off all but one of their customer service reps.

A year or so later, DDM announced that as of the end of January, they would stop selling HID retrofit kits... only replacement parts.
    That never happened... not sure what the deal was with that.

Suffice it to say, DDM is NOT the same company they were in 2006-2009 when their products were pretty durable and they were responsive to customer issues.

8. Nov 15, 2012 at 1:06 AM
    tn2012taco

tn2012taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Nashville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunnin Trooper
    Plasti-dipped wheels, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75, 1 in. block in rear, CB in center console, 12V outlet in console, weathertechs, N-FAB wheel-to-wheel 3in. tube, Action packer cheap toolbox, Spidertraxx 1.25" spacers, Kensun 5000K in fogs, K&N drop-in filter, foglight anytime mod, Anytime Panty-dropper mod.
    I went through Kensun and had the best customer experience I've ever had anywhere. They sent me a faulty ballast (I thought it was the bulb). So I told them my bulb blew, they sent me a new one, no need to return, ad it within the week. Then that bulb blew (same ballast), so I emailed them again, and with a bit of a time delay due to hurricane sandy, installed my new bulb and ballast free of charge two weeks later. Now everything is running nice and smooth. Oh, and all their kits are under $100.

Products Discussed in

To Top