Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Think my power steering pump is going out.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Think my power steering pump is going out.

Checked the fluid level, its good. No apparent leaks, no whines that I can hear. I've gotten to the point that I have to use two hands now at a stop, or slow turn.

Any ideas?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I could probably figure it out, but its dark now and I'm not going to worry about it until I get back in a few weeks. If I flush it, where would I be finding a drain plug, or should I just pull off the hose on the bottom of the resi?
Old 11-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be suspect of the lower column u-joint seizing, rather than a pump or rack issue. I've heard of half a dozen cases of this so far, appearantly they aren't sealed very well, aren't greasable, or replaceable. The lower steering shaft has to be replaced, but some penetrating lube helps temporarily to determine if thats your issue, just soak it, and see if things improve. If it does, replace the shaft.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
danteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud ofdanteisme has much to be proud of
danteisme's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
I'd be suspect of the lower column u-joint seizing, rather than a pump or rack issue. I've heard of half a dozen cases of this so far, appearantly they aren't sealed very well, aren't greasable, or replaceable. The lower steering shaft has to be replaced, but some penetrating lube helps temporarily to determine if thats your issue, just soak it, and see if things improve. If it does, replace the shaft.
That was the problem with mine. i've actually had luck so far just pulling that rubber sheath or whatever it is up and spraying it with grease. i do that a couple times a year and it works well.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
OP im having the exact same problem... did you get it resolved?
Old 03-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
Meteor Proof
Spinner is on a distinguished road
Spinner's Tacoma Gallery
I was having the same issue and doused my lower u-joint with white lithium grease - FIXED!!!!! I'll include this with my oil changes - thanks guys