Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Would you buy a Tacoma with a replaced motor

Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
double dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Derrick
double dee's Tacoma Gallery
Would you buy a Tacoma with a replaced motor

I am in the process of buying a used Tacoma. It is a 2010 DCSB 4x4. I just did a CARFAX on it and it says at 9,700 miles the motor was replaced. The truck now has 35,000 miles on it. Haven't talked to the owner yet about why. I was planing on calling the dealership it was replaced at to see if they can give me any info. Would you run away or still be interested? My thought is it was replaced while it was still under warranty 25,000 miles ago so I would assume any problems for it would have come up by now
Old 11-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
double dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the sheddouble dee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
well i found this from the vin.

SHORT BLOCK R&R ~|~C.S HEARS A CLICKING NOISE ON DRIVERS SIDE---AT IDLE--- ~|~FOUND SEVERE METAL IN PAN--4--ROD BEARING SPUN-CRANKSHAFT SCORED- ~|~9805 CHECK NOISE IN ENGINE AREA UPON INSP FOUND INTERNAL ENGINE NOISE,CONTACTED TECH SUPPORT,CASE#TA101520055,SUGG REMOVE AND TEAR DOWN AND INSPECT,REMOVED AND TORE DOWN,FOUND SEVERE METAL IN PAN,#4 CONNECTING ROD BEARING SPUN,CRANKSHAFT SCORED,REFERED TO
Old 11-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Dont worry about it. If you want take it some where for them to check it out before you buy.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Tony
TeamLombardo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by double dee View Post
I am in the process of buying a used Tacoma. It is a 2010 DCSB 4x4. I just did a CARFAX on it and it says at 9,700 miles the motor was replaced. The truck now has 35,000 miles on it. Haven't talked to the owner yet about why. I was planing on calling the dealership it was replaced at to see if they can give me any info. Would you run away or still be interested? My thought is it was replaced while it was still under warranty 25,000 miles ago so I would assume any problems for it would have come up by now
2 things I would NEVER do: 1) Buy a semi-new vehicle that has had the engine replaced and 2) Shove a dead hooker into a twin size mattress....it just isn't big enough!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #5

Air Force:
well thats two different answers.....
Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLombardo View Post
2 things I would NEVER do: 1) Buy a semi-new vehicle that has had the engine replaced and 2) Shove a dead hooker into a twin size mattress....it just isn't big enough!
Midget ones fit just fine

I bet you would be just fine. But it might be something to be able to talk down the price?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Tony
TeamLombardo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well thats two different answers.....
The second one was just for S.A.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #8
Blueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueitrgsr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
Blueitrgsr's Tacoma Gallery
It was well documented and done by the dealer I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #9

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueitrgsr View Post
That what i'm thinking but has kinda given me an uneasy feeling.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
this
Old 11-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #11

Air Force:
would it be possible they replaced it with a used motor?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #12
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
would it be possible they replaced it with a used motor?
Not for warranty work.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #13

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrdSurgie View Post
Not for warranty work.
that makes me feel a little better
Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #14
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Still has a 60k mile power train.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
revised
Quote:
that makes me feel a little better
These trucks are simple enough that having a motor replaced on one isnt a big deal.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #16

Air Force:
thanks guys
Old 11-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #17
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well i found this from the vin.

SHORT BLOCK R&R ~|~C.S HEARS A CLICKING NOISE ON DRIVERS SIDE---AT IDLE--- ~|~FOUND SEVERE METAL IN PAN--4--ROD BEARING SPUN-CRANKSHAFT SCORED- ~|~9805 CHECK NOISE IN ENGINE AREA UPON INSP FOUND INTERNAL ENGINE NOISE,CONTACTED TECH SUPPORT,CASE#TA101520055,SUGG REMOVE AND TEAR DOWN AND INSPECT,REMOVED AND TORE DOWN,FOUND SEVERE METAL IN PAN,#4 CONNECTING ROD BEARING SPUN,CRANKSHAFT SCORED,REFERED TO
Short block is engine cylinder block with crankshaft, rods, pistons installed. That means a dealership mechanic transfered everything else over from the original engine. That includes the cylinder heads. I just wonder about how much metal made it up to the heads, if any.

A tech doing flat rate warranty work may or may not stop and gain approval for additional work to correct damage to those heads, if he discovers it later, while the truck is apart and in his work bay.

If it was an entire assembled engine, I would not have any major misgivings about it, especially 25K miles later. But since it was short block only I would worry about top end problems that might not show up till 100K or more.

Depends on what you want. If the plan is to buy a 100K warranty and sell before it's out of warranty, go for it. If you are going to try and drive it over the 100K mark, I would pass.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 AM   #18

Air Force:
anyone else have more input?
Old 11-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #19
N7MCS
Chipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shedChipskip is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31R, HHB, 2/43 ADA Battalian, 108th ADA Brigade, XVIII Airborne Corps
Name: Chip
Chipskip's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
^ This
Old 11-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #20
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't be worried if the truck was at 150, but it's only at 35.

Why is the guy getting rid of it at 35 when he just got the engine replaced 20k ago?

I'd be very suspicious that he's selling because they didn't fix whatever is wrong.