1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Tacoma Test Drive raises a question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Horndog, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Nov 17, 2012 at 9:47 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Yep , they are crap

2. Nov 17, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    Horndog

Horndog [OP] Active Member

Member:
    On the test drive both rear ends seemed fine. But the front was a differant story. Felt very un-safe.
    I remeber I bought a set of Coopers long ago for a Honda Accord. Same thing happend on the highway, even though the grooves were barley visable. Took 'em back and they said it was alignment. Had 2 alignments done at differant places. No help. Finally called the sales rep and told him I was calling the BBB, and Dept of Consumaer Affairs. The next day they gave me an "upgraded" set of tires and all the problem was solved.

Hate to put out 30+ knowing I need to buy replacement tires right away.

Does anyone know if Toyota offers differant tires as an option?

3. Nov 18, 2012 at 5:08 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Horndog, The TRD OFFROAD package will come with the better BFGoodrich tires. That is the only optional way to get better tires from Toyota.

If your dealer has a Tacoma or other used truck that they need to replace the tires on before they can sell it, then you may work a deal with them to "buy" the Dunlops if you choose the SR5 and put real tires on your truck.

I was able to sell my Dunlops for $300 privately, thus offsetting some of the cost of mounting Michelins. I did not trust the Dunlops to drive them until they wore out.

By mounting Michelins, I did save a bit of money each month by not having to change underwear after each drive with the Dunlops.

4. Nov 18, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    Horndog

Horndog [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Know wht you mean......that's what I'm afraid of too! Looks like the TRD Offroad is they way to go.

Now I'm wonding if I should wait to see if the new V6 injection engine happens, bringing the "upper" milage rating to 25. Not a great differance, but it all adds up gas wise. Just don't know if there will be a price incerase along with the new engine.

Just when I thought I figued out what to buy, I really didn't.

5. Nov 18, 2012 at 9:39 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    Horndog, another member went through the same decision process here a few weeks back. Instead of replacing the substandard suspension/tires after buying he too chose to go with the TRD OFF Road as well. I am not sure if this is the answer in every case, but it made dollars sense in his case. It also appears that if you select the "Towing Package" you get the slightly better 4 leaf rear springs over the standard 3 leaf rear springs, as well as the hitch, oil cooler and transmission cooler(Automatic transmission only).

6. Nov 18, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Yep , 2012 and newer Offroads get the 3 leaf pack , Sport and SR5 models get the 4 leaf pack

7. Nov 18, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    One thing that no one else mentioned - I think.

You mentioned the ride was really stiff on the SR5, in addition to the squirrelly handling on grooved pavement.

The other possibility that comes to my mind is that the tires on that particular truck may have been over inflated. They wouldn't come that way from the factory, but you never know for sure what some minimum wage dealer prep kid is going to do.

You could check the tire pressure on that truck with a gauge, and then drive it again.

8. Nov 18, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    One available dealer upsell option is different rims with BFG All-Terrain TA/KO tires. Those are better even than the "Rugged Terrain" tires that come on the TRD Off-Road.

9. Nov 18, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I would go straight to the Dakars. I wouldn't waste time getting the TSB leaf packs if you plan on towing and/or hauling with any regularity.

10. Nov 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You need to be lifting the front as well if you are using Dakars unless you like the NHRA funny car rake

Products Discussed in

To Top