Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear diff Regear

Old 11-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Ghost848's Tacoma Gallery
Rear diff Regear

Hey guys, So I started the front diff IFS thread for a reason, (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ff-locker.html)
My rear diff started the dredded whine! I did diff fluids today and found this:

So Im starting to think regearing is in my near furture.

Now the list, what all do I need to regear... what spline is my 09 TRD OR 8" elocker diff? do I need a new install kit to make my 3rd member more reliable?

Please if you know, LMK cause I gots to start shopping now. I will be going to east coast gear supply so links to there store would help ALOT!

If you cant tell Im new to the regearing side of things, so help would be great.
all im after is the parts so I can just take everything to a shop and say fix it lol.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Dont be stupid, its not smart.
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
SurfInferno's Tacoma Gallery
check out east coast gear supply, they have a ton of regear stuff.
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-616...-e-locker.html
depending on the tire size you are going with i think most people go with 4.56. I just regeared to 4.10s which is what i think yours is stock.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

any idea on what need off that page... Im running 33" may go up to 35, but doubt it
Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
SurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shedSurfInferno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Even with 33s you may still be in the clear as far as regear. I have a 5 luck so i can't be positive. If you go 35s you would defiantly need to regear to 4.56. Theres really 4 ways you can do it. You can bring the truck to a shop and have them change the gears, or take the 3rd member off and bring it to them (will save a few hundred in labor), buy a whole new third and install it(easiest way but not the cheapest) or do it yourself, Im not good with gears and getting them to run perfect so i didn't attempt it, but you may be.

Heres the gear set, I've heard good things about yukon but they are more expensive.
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-132...nd-pinion.html
along with that you will need a rebuild kit if I'm not mistaken
Old 11-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #5

this is the route i took, just got a prebuilt one
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-131...ocker-3rd.html
Old 11-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #6

OK im starting to make sence of all this, what spline whas the yukon gear?
Old 11-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #7

I believe its a 29 but I could be wrong, i would need a second opinion.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #8

so you bought a new pinion flang too then
Old 11-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #9

i just bought the whole 3rd member, took my stop one out, installed the new one, and sent them my old one. It was maybe 100-200 bucks more but i know it was done right.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:39 PM   #10

actually that seems like the smart way, I was just doing the math. and I would prob save close to 4-500 buck doing the whole asse.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
If you're going with ECGS just get a built diff and swap em.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #12

Hey jandrews, have you had to regear your 09 TRD OR yet? what was your cause of failure?
Old 11-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #13
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost848 View Post
Hey jandrews, have you had to regear your 09 TRD OR yet? what was your cause of failure?
Lol.

The first failure was from wheeling. Replaced it with a boneyard diff. The second failure was from wheeling
Replaced with nitro 4.56 diffs from ECGS. So far things have held up. If this third gearset shits I'm ripping the whole fucking elocker axle out and putting in a rockjock.

The truck almost has 28000 miles!
Old 11-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #14

Lol yeah im thinking i should of went with the sport then put lockers in it, but I thought the locker would have been better quality than it is there I go assuming again.... My bros Land cruiser is a monster, and makes the tacoma look like a tonka toy....his diffs are built to last but mind you his are 8 high pinion lol
Old 11-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
nfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shednfs257 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: GSM1
Name: Chris
nfs257's Tacoma Gallery
The thing that sucks with the TRD and elocker is there isnt a ARB locker made for the rear that I know of. Also for a complete list of what you may or may not need talk to Chase at ECGS he knows his shit...
Old 11-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
The thing that sucks with the TRD and elocker is there isnt a ARB locker made for the rear that I know of. Also for a complete list of what you may or may not need talk to Chase at ECGS he knows his shit...
The carrier isn't the problem. The diff housing is weak and deflects under stress.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs257 View Post
Will do thanks man, planning on doing my front IFS too so.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:57 PM   #18
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
I think the ECGS assembled diffs are the way to go. Nobody can put together Toyota diffs as good as those guys, and it is a fairly simple driveway install to swap the assembled diffs. Took me and a friend a few hours to install front and rear.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
I think the ECGS assembled diffs are the way to go. Nobody can put together Toyota diffs as good as those guys, and it is a fairly simple driveway install to swap the assembled diffs. Took me and a friend a few hours to install front and rear.
ZUK does an aweso me job but declines to clamshell diffs because its so time consuming. ECGS diffs are definitely the best deal on the market.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Lol.

The first failure was from wheeling. Replaced it with a boneyard diff. The second failure was from wheeling
Replaced with nitro 4.56 diffs from ECGS. So far things have held up. If this third gearset shits I'm ripping the whole fucking elocker axle out and putting in a rockjock.

The truck almost has 28000 miles!
How many miles you got on your nitro gears so far, do you wheel alot?