Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help! I cannot figure out what the rubbing/humming noise from my front end is!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #21
40 Year Toyota/Chrysler Tech/ASE Master
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Tacoma Mike's Tacoma Gallery
Front hub bearing Nick. If the install was correct on the right side replace the left. The noise vibrates and travels through the front and can be hard to diag which side it is.. Jack the front of the truck up and spin both front wheels with a finger on the coil spring. I bet the left side will feel rough and vibrate your finger.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #22
gen2taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
gen2taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Mike View Post
Front hub bearing Nick. If the install was correct on the right side replace the left. The noise vibrates and travels through the front and can be hard to diag which side it is.. Jack the front of the truck up and spin both front wheels with a finger on the coil spring. I bet the left side will feel rough and vibrate your finger.
Thank you for the advice. I will try this tomorrow after work!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #23
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i would think that the turning to the right and it stopping would point to the passenger side front wheel bearing. same thing happening on mine when i turn to the left and all indications seem to be the drivers side. just havent replaced mine yet.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #24
Tacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma Mike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
i would think that the turning to the right and it stopping would point to the passenger side front wheel bearing. same thing happening on mine when i turn to the left and all indications seem to be the drivers side. just havent replaced mine yet.
It all depends on which half of the bearing is bad. There are two sets of rollers in the bearing and depending on which is bad, the inner or outer, can cause a different result. Been through this before and it can be a pita to get the correct side. I'm hard of hearing so I have to use more than just sound to confirm. That's why he needs to double check. With a bearing that bad he should feel it.
I also take one of the young kids with me on a road test if necessary.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #25
JayLeah is on a distinguished road

Name: Jessica
JayLeah's Tacoma Gallery
Mine does this too. But unless you know what your listening for, it's very suttle. it does it when I'm pulling in my drive way which is on a slight incline, when I'm slowing turning and sometimes just going through the gears. Park to drive, drive to neutral, neutral to reverse. It's very weird.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #26
sparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nicesparkystaco is just really nice

Name: Sparky
sparkystaco's Tacoma Gallery
yep, sounds exactly like the noise I had
Old 11-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #27
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
My 2012 does this also.. But my noise could possibly be my tires, bc I did my lift and tires at the same time..
I know its not my Diff. bearing though. I went through that with my 07 Taco.

I hope you figure it out.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #28
Quote:
After work today, I jacked up the front end, and tried what you asked. The left side is definitely rougher than the right side(the one I replaced). I could feel it vibrate through the coil as well. I never thought to check the left side given the symptom I was seeing (video), LOL I learned my lesson. I think you figured it out! Thanks for the advice. I will change it out on my day off next Monday, and post back results! If anyone is wondering I do not daily drive the truck until there is snow, so I won't be making my daily 50 mile commute on a bad bearing.

Thanks to everyone else for their reply's as well.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #29
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2taco View Post
After work today, I jacked up the front end, and tried what you asked. The left side is definitely rougher than the right side(the one I replaced). I could feel it vibrate through the coil as well. I never thought to check the left side given the symptom I was seeing (video), LOL I learned my lesson. I think you figured it out! Thanks for the advice. I will change it out on my day off next Monday, and post back results! If anyone is wondering I do not daily drive the truck until there is snow, so I won't be making my daily 50 mile commute on a bad bearing.

I would recommend getting a OEM toyota bearing
Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #30

Quote:

I think you got a handle on it.
Let us know how it goes.
Stop by the shop sometime and introduce yourself.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #31
Quote:
I think you got a handle on it.
Let us know how it goes.
Stop by the shop sometime and introduce yourself.
Where is your shop?
Old 11-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #32
K3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud ofK3tsurui has much to be proud of
Name: Ricky
K3tsurui's Tacoma Gallery
In case it is not the wheel bearing, here is something else that might help...

I had a similar problem on a different vehicle (not a Tacoma). It took forever and a day to find it. The one thing that you said that caught my attention was that the "noise goes away when you turn". For me, the problem turned out to be the rear differential bearing. Not sure how you would check this but it wasn't all that hard to replace and the part was relatively inexpensive.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #33
The problem is fixed! It was the left front wheel bearing. I just finished installing it, and took it for a test ride. It smooth as can be! Thank you for all the help!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #34

Quote:
The problem is fixed! It was the left front wheel bearing. I just finished installing it, and took it for a test ride. It smooth as can be! Thank you for all the help!
Good for u. Just remember that trick for the future.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #35
Quote:
Good for u. Just remember that trick for the future.
Will do!
Old 01-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #36
09, 2.7, 4x4, Manual, Access Cab
Tevia74 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Hot Shot
Name: Tom
Tevia74's Tacoma Gallery
Crazy, Ive got the same truck and the same noise!

Actually joined this site in hopes of figuring out what this was on my truck. The only diference is that mine is really only there when taking a long, sweeping left turn at speeds over 55ish, but then it sounds much like what was in your video. Have you figured it out yet? Can you feel it as well... not necessarily in the steering wheel but the chassis ? If you have had any luck please let me know. I was just about to go down the same wild goose hunt road of replace and pray.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tevia74 View Post
Actually joined this site in hopes of figuring out what this was on my truck. The only diference is that mine is really only there when taking a long, sweeping left turn at speeds over 55ish, but then it sounds much like what was in your video. Have you figured it out yet? Can you feel it as well... not necessarily in the steering wheel but the chassis ? If you have had any luck please let me know. I was just about to go down the same wild goose hunt road of replace and pray.
I was able to figure it out. It was the opposite wheel bearing I had replaced. Tacoma Mike gave me the advise that help me find it. I jacked up the front end, and spun the wheel with my finger on the spring. I could feel the vibration in the spring. You may want to do the same, and also check your rear wheels.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #38
baseballfan5566 is a splendid one to beholdbaseballfan5566 is a splendid one to beholdbaseballfan5566 is a splendid one to beholdbaseballfan5566 is a splendid one to beholdbaseballfan5566 is a splendid one to beholdbaseballfan5566 is a splendid one to beholdbaseballfan5566 is a splendid one to behold

baseballfan5566's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same problem, I feel like what you described is exactly what I am hearing. At least I know its nothing major.
Thanks