Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

spare tire size?

Old 11-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Orion is on a distinguished road
Orion's Tacoma Gallery
spare tire size?

Probably a dumb question but....

I am currently running 265/65/17's on my 09 tacoma 4 door 4wd shortbed....

I am long overdue for new tires and would like to get the bfg all terrains in size 265/70/17's.......... problem is my spare tire would be the 65?

Can I get away with using it or would I need to get a fifth in size 70?

thanks

steve
Old 11-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
The spare should be matched to the other tires, and included in the rotation. If you run an odd sized tire, (even in an emergency) the spider gears in the diff will constantly be turning. This creates more heat and wear. It is dependant upon speed, tire size difference, and type of oil as to how long you can run like that, but you risk burning out the diff running with different sized tires, even without the 4x4 engaged.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
I have some 265/70/17 series tires, and my spare is still a 265/65/17 series. I just figure if something happens, I'll just put the spare on the front (regardless of which tire blew) until I get to a tire shop. Not a big deal to me. When I'm done with these 70 series and am ready for new tires again, I'll probably put one of these used ones on the spare.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
Ragin Cajun
Plik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant futurePlik has a brilliant future

Plik's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know if a 275/65/R18 size tire will fit in the spare location without modification?
Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #5
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
I run a stock spare, with 265/70/17 on the truck. I would have zero problems with putting the spare on and driving it to a shop. No harm done. Just don't make a habit of it.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plik View Post
Does anyone know if a 275/65/R18 size tire will fit in the spare location without modification?
I have a 285/75/16 in the stock location. It's snug on shackle hangers and backside of hitch receiver. I recently installed my shackle flip, now I have plenty of room.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
Orion is on a distinguished road
Orion's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the comments.......