Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD VS URD

View Poll Results: What do you recommend ?
Stock CAI 37 30.08%
TRD CAI 60 48.78%
URD CAI 26 21.14%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #21
Coupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
I have a TRD 1st Gen, if you need one.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #22
BudTRD is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
BudTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Picture?
Price?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #25
53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

53flattie's Tacoma Gallery
Forgive a novice here, but I didn't know there were different generations of the CAI. When I first started reading this thread, I thought you were referring to 1st and 2nd Gen Tacomas... But I presume you're saying there are two different TRD CAI's for the second Gen Tacoma?

Is the first Gen the one with the clear cover? Or is there another way to identify them? And it looks like the first Gen is better, based on responses here?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #27
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flattie View Post
Forgive a novice here, but I didn't know there were different generations of the CAI. When I first started reading this thread, I thought you were referring to 1st and 2nd Gen Tacomas... But I presume you're saying there are two different TRD CAI's for the second Gen Tacoma?

Is the first Gen the one with the clear cover? Or is there another way to identifty them? And it looks like the first Gen is better, based on responses here?
Iirc the clear covered ones are just custom made lexan or plexi covers and I think coupe made them?

Afe/1st gen trd has silver/aluminum cover and 6 bolts......cone filter.

K&N/2nd gen trd is all plastic iirc, has a lil "indicator" or some crap for filter service life, and the cover is held on by hinges I think and pretty sure it uses a panel filter.

Imho the afe stage 2 si and 1st gen trd intake are very obtrusive inside the cab when ur on the gas....they resonate in the box and into the cab.

2nd gen made by K&N, bad design.

Trd 1st gen.....made by afe and has 0 issues, u can order the afe stage 2 Si and its very very similar.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #28
Fisher is one of the sharper tools in the shedFisher is one of the sharper tools in the shedFisher is one of the sharper tools in the shedFisher is one of the sharper tools in the shedFisher is one of the sharper tools in the shedFisher is one of the sharper tools in the shedFisher is one of the sharper tools in the shedFisher is one of the sharper tools in the shedFisher is one of the sharper tools in the shedFisher is one of the sharper tools in the shedFisher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Fisher's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #29
Coupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoupe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coupe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudTRD View Post
Picture?
Price?
I need to replace the silicone couplers on these. I will post some pics, when I get some new couplers.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #31
1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future1969novaguy has a brilliant future
Firefighter: EMT/HAZMAT technician
Name: Michael
1969novaguy's Tacoma Gallery
you're going to have to re-calibrate your MAF sensor. Your MAF sensor is only calibrated to work with the stock intake and airbox that comes stock on the truck, otherwise your truck is going to run rich which is going to give to crappy MPG and you might throw a CEL.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #32
53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

53flattie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969novaguy View Post
you're going to have to re-calibrate your MAF sensor. Your MAF sensor is only calibrated to work with the stock intake and airbox that comes stock on the truck, otherwise your truck is going to run rich which is going to give to crappy MPG and you might throw a CEL.
Soooo, installing a CAI will give crappy mileage, make it run rich, and possibly throw the CEL?

How in the world have CAI manufacturers stayed in business this long?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #33
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colby
Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969novaguy View Post
I do not agree with this as I run Torque app where I can see my AF ratio.. As well I hooked it up to Toyota's computers to get fuel trim levels.

My TRD made my engine run LEANER, not richer. And even then we are talking small amounts of difference.

On top of that, I got more MPG's, about 1 maybe 2. I still avg 20-22mpgs depending on where I'm driving and what mood I'm in.

Yes a MAF Calibrator will help out tons, talk to Gadget at URD about it. He'll set you up with a custom flash that will work with all your aftermarket parts.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #34
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post

My TRD made my engine run LEANER, not richer. And even then we are talking small amounts of difference.

Yes a MAF Calibrator will help out tons
1st gen or 2nd gen TRD by chance?

MAF cal may help some but I think "tons" is a bit much of a word to use
Old 01-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #35
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Both 1st and 2nd. 2nd runs leaner than the 1st gen. I had them both. I like the second gen more as its quieter and seems to feel a bit better when I step on the gas according to my ass dyno.

And no, the MAF made a BIG difference and is worth the money. So I'll stick to my 'tons' as it really did make a ton of difference on how the truck performed.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #36

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Both 1st and 2nd. 2nd runs leaner than the 1st gen. I had them both. I like the second gen more as its quieter and seems to feel a bit better when I step on the gas according to my ass dyno.

And no, the MAF made a BIG difference and is worth the money. So I'll stick to my 'tons' as it really did make a ton of difference on how the truck performed.

thats the problem with subjective claims.

Ill say it didnt change tons on all applications.

lets agree to disagree

but ill agree on the 1st gen trd intake/afe stage 2 Si........terribly annoying racket inside the cabin while passing/getting on freeway.

again subjective, but I agree............very loud
Old 01-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #37
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
thats the problem with subjective claims.

Ill say it didnt change tons on all applications.

lets agree to disagree

but ill agree on the 1st gen trd intake/afe stage 2 Si........terribly annoying racket inside the cabin while passing/getting on freeway.

again subjective, but I agree............very loud
Yes the intake is loud. I found 2 reasons why my 1st gen was really loud and it made it better.
1. the intake tube was pressing up against my TB spacer, no gap at all.
2. Rubber gaskets where the airbox mounts.

those 2 things I have no more in cabin noise, just the intake is a lot louder when under full RPM. I understand the in cabin noise as when I first installed the CAI the noise was insane. But its all good now.

Do you have a URD MAF Calibrator hooked up and flashed correctly?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #38

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes the intake is loud. I found 2 reasons why my 1st gen was really loud and it made it better.
1. the intake tube was pressing up against my TB spacer, no gap at all.
2. Rubber gaskets where the airbox mounts.

those 2 things I have no more in cabin noise, just the intake is a lot louder when under full RPM. I understand the in cabin noise as when I first installed the CAI the noise was insane. But its all good now.

Do you have a URD MAF Calibrator hooked up and flashed correctly?
yep G man flashed it himself, and I double checked it with the R2 disc..........URD intake was installed 1st for a week, then the calibrator.

small note change, a pretty big difference in the transmission kicking down as opposed to the engine bogging to death when at highway speed and needing to pass. Slightly more responsive from mid throttle to WOT.

I guess from URD intake without the maf to URD intake with the MAF just wasnt what I would consider a huge gain most times.....the leaning of the mixture I assume helped clear up the snappy take off VS bogging.

Also installed URD MAF on a truck with AFE stage 2Si............not a massive change there either IMHO, but it was a manual so there was no bogging issue unless driver error.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #39
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
yep G man flashed it himself, and I double checked it with the R2 disc..........URD intake was installed 1st for a week, then the calibrator.

small note change, a pretty big difference in the transmission kicking down as opposed to the engine bogging to death when at highway speed and needing to pass. Slightly more responsive from mid throttle to WOT.

I guess from URD intake without the maf to URD intake with the MAF just wasnt what I would consider a huge gain most times.....the leaning of the mixture I assume helped clear up the snappy take off VS bogging.

Also installed URD MAF on a truck with AFE stage 2Si............not a massive change there either IMHO, but it was a manual so there was no bogging issue unless driver error.
Maybe you are just used to it.

Yeah I thought it was a major difference on my 2011 auto.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #40

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Maybe you are just used to it.

Yeah I thought it was a major difference on my 2011 auto.
could very well be