Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD VS URD

View Poll Results: What do you recommend ?
Stock CAI 37 30.08%
TRD CAI 60 48.78%
URD CAI 26 21.14%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #41
Corndawg has a spectacular aura aboutCorndawg has a spectacular aura about
Name: Corey
Corndawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969novaguy View Post
you're going to have to re-calibrate your MAF sensor. Your MAF sensor is only calibrated to work with the stock intake and airbox that comes stock on the truck, otherwise your truck is going to run rich which is going to give to crappy MPG and you might throw a CEL.

so is it worth doing. if i gain nothing?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #42
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
You really don't gain much if anything with a CAI other than quicker throttle response and sound. With the URD MAF Cal it helps a lot, but still it's no super charger.

Intake, headers, exhaust are worth the money if you ask me, but don't expect a 50hp increase.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:02 AM   #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
You really don't gain much if anything with a CAI other than quicker throttle response and sound. With the URD MAF Cal it helps a lot, but still it's no super charger.

Intake, headers, exhaust are worth the money if you ask me, but don't expect a 50hp increase.
thanks for the info.

im really looking into a TRD INtake DTLT headers URD Y pipe and TRD cat back exhaust and then of course URD Maf..

I just need a place to tune it for me in utah.

and also i think with the Y pipe and DTLT headers my check engine light will be on always so idk if i want that. or not?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:10 AM   #44
Resident SUV racer
Lucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Lucario Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

with an intake, headers, urd y pipe and tuning (x1) I put down 250 whp and 300 ft lbs. That is effectively the same power netted with just a trd supercharger.

Out of the two intakes listed I run the AFE intake, but would love to run a URD intake. If you want to go mudding and driver though rivers get the TRD/AFE. If you do light off roading or don't get the URD.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #45
53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed53flattie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

53flattie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario Runner View Post
with an intake, headers, urd y pipe and tuning (x1) I put down 250 whp and 300 ft lbs. That is effectively the same power netted with just a trd supercharger.

Out of the two intakes listed I run the AFE intake, but would love to run a URD intake. If you want to go mudding and driver though rivers get the TRD/AFE. If you do light off roading or don't get the URD.
Wow. That's pretty impressive, considering you probably have a fraction of the $$ invested that a SC would cost.

When you mention "tuning" - are you referring to a MAF re calibration, or something like a Unichip?

(I like your "recipe" and might want to copy it!)
Old 01-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario Runner View Post

Thats crazy man.. im looking for more BRaPP!! but is doing Doug Thorley long tube headers TRD CAI/Cat Back and URD Y pipe gonna ruin the life of my engine i want my truck to last. I'm hoping none of them will set off check engine light i think the Y pipe will
just search TRDGuyKC on youtube he has the set up i want. he is a TW member
Old 01-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #49
Quote:

okay so lets say i buy all this.. my only thing is i dont want the check engine light on
Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #50
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndawg View Post
okay so lets say i buy all this.. my only thing is i dont want the check engine light on
02 sims from gadget

I see the man snooping.....

How u doin Gman?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #52
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking at the N/A gains thread and am surprised how much people are netting from gains. The general opinion on here is that "it is proven that none of the bolt on mods gain you any performance" Well looking at all the dynos in the NA performance threads means that either, you need a few of them instead of just one to gain anything, or you just need a tuner, like a Maf Cal, to get the gain out of those mods.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...os-w-mods.html

One thing to note is that these guys may get peak gains that are comparable to just the TRD S/C, but I'm sure over the entire power band that the TRD S/C has more power, ie both may have 250hp at 5000rpm but at say 3000 rpm the S/C will have like 240hp and the N/A will have like 200hp. (I just made up those numbers to show my point)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #53
B11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedB11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
B11's Tacoma Gallery
And, don't forget you lose about 3% of your HP for every 1000ft above sea level you go. A supercharger keeps that loss to a minimum.

Anymore, the manufacturers are making some pretty efficient intake and exhaust systems so you get very little HP/Tq increase with CAI, Headers, and exhaust systems. There is no way a few little add on parts are going to compare to a properly installed and tuned supercharger.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #54
Vivid Illumination
memario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmemario1214 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colton
memario1214's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B11 View Post
And, don't forget you lose about 3% of your HP for every 1000ft above sea level you go. A supercharger keeps that loss to a minimum.

Anymore, the manufacturers are making some pretty efficient intake and exhaust systems so you get very little HP/Tq increase with CAI, Headers, and exhaust systems. There is no way a few little add on parts are going to compare to a properly installed and tuned supercharger.
Actually not necessarily... A supercharger experiences the same losses as a N/A engine at altitude. It compresses the air based on a ratio of how fast the rotors are spinning and the air coming in. Of course a supercharged engine will do better than a N/A engine at altitude most likely by virtue of just more power though. A turbo does much better of mitigating the effects of altitude as it has a set psi to reach. However, it has to spin faster to reach the same psi at higher altitude so some of the power is lost due to heat...

As for the second part the I/H/E don't do much on a naturally aspirated engine without a proper tune, but they work wonders with the higher compression that comes with a boosted application.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #55
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Trd, you have to watch the URD like a hawk if you go offroading, going to carwash, going to dealer, if it is raining, dusty, etc. Even with the splash shield, I would still worry.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #56
ajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajw1986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Andrew
ajw1986's Tacoma Gallery
I researched the intakes before i bought one, it was a toss up between the URD and the volant with scoop. I went with the volant + scoop, closed box unit and sucks in from the fender and the open scoop replaces the rad shroud. Truck has more pedal response and sounds way better, i don't care what those "anti CAI" people say

edit: i had a flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust installed before the CAI and the CAI made it sound way better