Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD VS URD

View Poll Results: What do you recommend ?
Stock CAI 37 30.08%
TRD CAI 60 48.78%
URD CAI 26 21.14%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
Corndawg has a spectacular aura aboutCorndawg has a spectacular aura about
Name: Corey
Corndawg's Tacoma Gallery
TRD VS URD

Well, another thread for Performance
i want to get a CAI and cat back exhaust of some kind
and have heard some PRO's and Cons of TRD system
Mainly that they just add sound. if i can just feel quicker throttle response. that would be great...... also considering TRD S/C but dont know if that will lessen the overall life of my engine

looking for a slight HP and Torque increase ?

and from the URD CAI I have heard nothing bad..

so do you all think? any experience running them ?
Attached Thumbnails
TRD VS URD-picture055-1-1.jpg   TRD VS URD-img00008-20091220-1629.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the 1st gen and 2nd gen TRD CAI's. Both are great and the 2nd gen is a lot more quiet. I feel a pickup in throttle response with both intakes. can't go wrong.

If you are going to supercharge I'd get the 2nd Gen TRD as I'm not sure if the 1st gen will work with the supercharger.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Corndawg has a spectacular aura aboutCorndawg has a spectacular aura about
Name: Corey
Corndawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
I've had the 1st gen and 2nd gen TRD CAI's. Both are great and the 2nd gen is a lot more quiet. I feel a pickup in throttle response with both intakes. can't go wrong.

If you are going to supercharge I'd get the 2nd Gen TRD as I'm not sure if the 1st gen will work with the supercharger.
thanks for the info,. good looking truck. by the way!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Yota_Fox is on a distinguished road

Name: Ben
Yota_Fox's Tacoma Gallery
I've had a trd for just over a year throttle response is defiantly better and seems to pull my boat quite a bit better too
Old 11-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post

1st gen cai works fine with the supercharger. In fact it's better that the 2nd gen cai
Old 11-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a URD setup second hand and haven't looked back (because i'm too busy passing people)

Only con to the URD TCAI is that the filter will get wet since it sits out in front of the radiator.

oh and the sound it makes when you're WOT is super sexy and makes pants tighter
Old 11-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
ironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud of

Name: Jonathan
ironman_jon's Tacoma Gallery
I just went from the TRD 1st Gen CAI to the URD TCAI.

The TRD is well built and sturdy only issue i had with it was the air inlet is in the fender well and with having fender flares and no liner it was causing build up of dust and dirt with was causing excess cleaning and replacement of the filter also a possibility of hydro-lock (in my case). Good sound and better pick up from stock and was on the truck for 51k

My current cai is the URD, it takes a little mechanical know how to put it in you have to cut a larger opening for the inlet piping you must also extend your maf sensor so you must know how to solder or know someone who does. Yes there is the possibility of hydro-lock if you live in a overly wet place but they sell pre-filters for this issue. Awesome sound with the URD and better performance on the truck for about 500 miles

this is my personal option.

the URD is far better then the TRD. Ive had the URD for going on 2 weeks and the the truck performs better, has more pick up and sound 80x better. Like previously stated if you live in an overly wet place u will need a pre-filter.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman_jon View Post
I just went from the TRD 1st Gen CAI to the URD TCAI.

The TRD is well built and sturdy only issue i had with it was the air inlet is in the fender well and with having fender flares and no liner it was causing build up of dust and dirt with was causing excess cleaning and replacement of the filter also a possibility of hydro-lock (in my case). Good sound and better pick up from stock and was on the truck for 51k

My current cai is the URD, it takes a little mechanical know how to put it in you have to cut a larger opening for the inlet piping you must also extend your maf sensor so you must know how to solder or know someone who does. Yes there is the possibility of hydro-lock if you live in a overly wet place but they sell pre-filters for this issue. Awesome sound with the URD and better performance on the truck for about 500 miles

this is my personal option.

the URD is far better then the TRD. Ive had the URD for going on 2 weeks and the the truck performs better, has more pick up and sound 80x better. Only down side is it will not work with the TRD supercharger but will work with the URD and like previously stated if you live in an overly wet place u will need a pre-filter.

it works just fine with the TRD Supercharger. this guy is running it

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...ml#post5677593
Old 11-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
ironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud ofironman_jon has much to be proud of

I stand corrected. Updated my previous post, good looking out Ryan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmathis View Post
it works just fine with the TRD Supercharger. this guy is running it

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...ml#post5677593
Old 11-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #10
Dark Lord of the Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman_jon View Post
I stand corrected. Updated my previous post, good looking out Ryan.

no problem.

the First Gen TRD CAI is pretty good. the 2nd Gen was running way lean when it first came out. not sure if anyone fixed it or what but i wouldnt run the 2nd gen trd cai at all
Old 11-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #11

Quote:
no problem.

the First Gen TRD CAI is pretty good. the 2nd Gen was running way lean when it first came out. not sure if anyone fixed it or what but i wouldnt run the 2nd gen trd cai at all
I had no problems with the 1st gen, my mods just out grew it and i was having the issue of the dirt and dust so that was my reason for going with the URD. Perfect for those who dont deal with those issues. Now i have a hole to fill in the fender well lol
Old 11-27-2012, 05:05 AM   #12
jmhirshorn is on a distinguished road
Army: Intel
Name: Josh
jmhirshorn's Tacoma Gallery
I ran 70,000 miles with a URD CAI on my '07 Tacoma, and currently have 10,000 miles with a URD CAI on my '12 Tacoma. It has noticeable gains in the upper range and I have had zero issues.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #14
sideways19 is on a distinguished road
Royal Canadian Mounted Police: RCMP
sideways19's Tacoma Gallery
I'd do intake if you can find one of the original TRD's for sale. I have the 1st gen TRD CAI and it sounds awesome. Neither are going to give you much gain in terms of performance, so purely based on sound and maybe a slightly improved throttle response I'd choose the intake over the exhaust. From what I've heard, the TRD exhaust isn't that noticeable in terms of sound and many have been disappointed by it.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
Akiri is on a distinguished road
Name: Cory
Akiri's Tacoma Gallery
Do 2012 TRD Sports come with TRD CAI/Exhaust?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #16
GoHuskers is on a distinguished road
GoHuskers's Tacoma Gallery
Not on mine.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndawg View Post
so i have cash for TRD CAI or TRD Cat back exhaust what should i do first?
Cat back
Old 11-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #18
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiri View Post
Do 2012 TRD Sports come with TRD CAI/Exhaust?
Don't think so, unless you get a tx pro, or baja but those only come with Cat Backs
Old 11-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no problem.

2nd gen doesn't run any leaner than the 1st gen. I've used my Torque app and can see this.

With a SC, yes it will. You hack part of the intake off to fix it. There is a video on how to fix it by cutting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndawg View Post
so i have cash for TRD CAI or TRD Cat back exhaust what should i do first?
TRD CAI if you ask me.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #20
spithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shedspithead051 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
spithead051's Tacoma Gallery
Just a heads up if you are looking for the 1st Gen TRD CAI. It is very difficult to find the TRD one now, at least brand new. However, AFe, the actual manufacturer of the 1st Gen still makes the CAI. It is the Stage 2 Si intake.

Just an FYI for ya