1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why Diesel?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jackass, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Nov 27, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Fleet sales are a major driving force in sales comparison numbers.

I asked my boss why everything the city we work for is either CNG or gas... apparently, there's some law that was passed that prohibits municipal agencies from purchasing anything but, except for fire and other "public safety" vehicles.
    Also, smaller companies that are large enough to have in-house maintenance generally stick to one platform.

2. Nov 27, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    taco terror

taco terror 1st gen = best gen

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x
    Well since Toyota's last forever, and diesels last much longer than most gas engines, it all adds up to you never needing another truck.:)

3. Nov 28, 2012 at 4:28 AM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    the only reason i would want a diesel is to make my own fuel. Diesel engines are a great SHTF investment. A lot of people don't know you can run pure clean veggitable oil in the tank and the engine will run flawless. the first diesel engine, invented by a German named Rudolph Diesel was intended to run off of any natural oil, whether it be from plants or animal fat. this being said, Its a cheap alternative. Biodiesel is made using waste veggitable oil and filtered, add some methanol to the mixture, and boom, you have a good diesel alternative fuel-to put it simply. i looked into all of this when i had an F350.
    So to sum up adding a diesel option to the toyota, yes it would be great. you wouldn't have to rely on Petrol diesel.

They are made to run a more viscous fuel. that's why diesel engines have glow plugs, they get extremely hot, using the secondary battery in the truck to reach the higher flash point of diesel fuel.

4. Nov 28, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    sorry taco dan but your wrong on few points.

The second battery has to do with how many cranking amps are needed to start a vehicle with up to 22:1 compression, my samurai uses one battery just like the mercedes the engine came out of. The higher compression ratio literally squeezes the fuel and air till it gets hot and explodes.

Rudolfph diesel's motor ran on peanut oil and yes our diesels can run pure veggie oil but you will have problems with filter lifeand low temp gelling.

also to make bio fuel its not just methanol but a combination of ingredients including methanol and lye.

diesels will also run on either filter waste motor oil or on waste auto trans fluid, but you cannot mix waste veg oil with waste motor oil it causes a black sludge that will kill the fuel system.

5. Nov 28, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
  6. Nov 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I just learned something new. :thumbsup:

7. Nov 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    Actually the trucks do utilize the second battery for the glow plugs. The glow plugs are only used at start-up, but they need more power than 1 battery can supply when it's cold and hard to turn over. Your little diesels with 4 glow plugs don't draw the same power as 8 big glow plugs.

8. Nov 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    The starter will pull way more amps on a cold diesel, even if you're pulling 100-200 amps for glow plugs.

and if you've got 8 glow plugs you're doing it wrong. :p

9. Dec 4, 2012 at 8:01 AM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    I'm not saying that some trucks dont have 2 batteries or anything like that my 6.2 V8 has two 1000cca batteries in it, but the second battery has exactly 0 to do with heating the motor or the glow plugs. I think the main reason manufactures use 2 batteries is it is just easier to package two small batteries that will do the job rather than one huge battery.

I actually had a gmc diesel before that the PO converted to use one giant caterpillar battery since he worked on equipment and had easy access to them for cheap, V8 with 8 glow plugs and would fire up easy with 1 battery.

1 batt or 2 has nothing to do with glow plugs its just about available cca

10. Dec 4, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    LOL