Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Any interest on a Guide for installing a Viper 5704 alarm/remote start

Old 11-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Collin
Riverdog's Tacoma Gallery
Any interest on a Guide for installing a Viper 5704 alarm/remote start

I just bought a Viper 5704 alarm/remote start and am going to install it soon. But I'm not a professional installer. In fact, I've never installed one of these before. Because I've never done this before, I'm in the process of writing out a guide for myself to follow. The directions are already quite long, and to make them understandable to others I'd have to add quite a bit to the directions (e.g. better explanations, pictures, etc.). So before I do that I just wanted to gauge everyone's interest level.

The guide would only apply to a 2005-2008 Tacoma, and would only cover a Viper 5704 alarm/remote start. So they'd be directions for a specific install. Do you guys have any interest in a guide like this?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. Id thik that any of the viper systems would be similar. I think it would be good. I may use it if i break down and get one...
Old 11-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Rust Framed Tacoma :)
lj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shedlj973gm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lj973gm's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to see a write up if possible.

What bypass kit do you plan on using? I know there are a couple of options for this. Directed is what most pros use, even narrowing it down to them you have options.

I have put in a couple kits in the past and depending on the vehicle they can be tricky mainly on euro cars. I looked into the Tacoma and it was straight forward but time consuming, I was lacking time so I opted not to do it just yet.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Riverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedRiverdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm using an iDataLink ADS-TB for my bypass. I mostly chose this bypass because it was what was sold at the shop I bought the 5704 from. But prior to buying it, also read that it's a pretty good bypass and is very reliable. I had one of the guys at the shop flash the bypass with the appropriate firmware.

The overall install seems like its going to be pretty straightforward. I'm just taking my time researching, asking questions, and planning it all out. I'm hoping all this prep work will pay off in the form of not having any problems. But it is my first install, so I'm expecting running into at least a few issues.

If there is little interest for this among TW members, I might just PM the few that are interested all of the details.

By the way, if you're on the fence about this let me help push you over. The quote I got from Best Buy to install this same system was about $680. The price I paid for the 5704, the bypass, and all the little parts will end up being about $290. Just something for you to think about.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
I say post it up for everyone to see, even if there is little shown interest. At the very least it will help someone do it down the road or be a reference back on your install.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
identium is on a distinguished road
identium's Tacoma Gallery
i have this 5704 model installed on my new 2012 and i love it! Dont remember which bypass was installed, but it was a bit tricky. One thing i'm trying to figure out is how to set it to autolock and unlock doors when truck goes out of park and when i shut off engine.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by identium View Post
i have this 5704 model installed on my new 2012 and i love it! Dont remember which bypass was installed, but it was a bit tricky. One thing i'm trying to figure out is how to set it to autolock and unlock doors when truck goes out of park and when i shut off engine.
That's a really good idea. If you can't find the answer from a TW member, I recommend posting that question on the12volt.com in the Install Bay Forum here. I've used this forum for help with planning out my 5704 install and it's been very useful. If you get it figured out I'd really like to know how to do that. Good luck!

EDIT: I found your answer! (sort of) It works off the ignition, not the shifter. Its a programming feature of the 5704. When activated, the doors will lock when the ignition is turned on, and unlock when the ignition is turned off. Go here and download the installation manual if you don't already have one. It's item #25 on that page. What you're looking for is on page 12 and 13 and is called Ign-controlled locks. Hope that helps!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Jones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shedJones is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by identium View Post
One thing i'm trying to figure out is how to set it to autolock and unlock doors when truck goes out of park and when i shut off engine.
5704 quick reference install guide
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/att...04_install.pdf

The 3rd page has it under menu 1, item 5 for ignition controlled locks. It will lock and unlock when the ignition is turned on and off.

I don't think there is a way to have the truck lock when it goes out of park.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:35 AM   #9
Jford44 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jim
Jford44's Tacoma Gallery
New To Tacoma World

Just had my Viper 5704 installed by Best Buy in my 2011 Toyota SR5 double cab. They had a heck of a time getting the remote start to work with every module they had in stock. After talking to all of their tech supports and keeping the truck for 2 days they finally realized they had to put one of my keys in the module permanently to get it to work because of the 64-bit encryption. Works good now though.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:57 AM   #10
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely do a write up. I may be installing my own here soon as well. Got a SMOKING deal on a viper system with smart start and GPS module along with 1 year subscription to both. OTD at 200 bones. Pays to know people.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
custom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to all

Army: 5/19 SFG(A)
custom90gt's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I'd be very interested in a guide as well. I've had a 5704 on my amazon wishlist for a month now...
Old 11-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #12

Jones's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone has not seen these threads, it is very helpful in getting started.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...pictorial.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...otes-long.html
Old 11-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones View Post
If anyone has not seen these threads, it is very helpful in getting started.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...pictorial.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...otes-long.html
Yeah, I saw those links and they are definitely helpful. Thanks for putting those out there for others to see.

I'm working on the write up for it today. I should have it all polished and ready tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #15
RubberDucky is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 354th Communications
Name: Dillon
RubberDucky's Tacoma Gallery
I just got on Tacoworld looking for the thread you are (hopefully) making! I don't have the money to have one installed and saving $400 sounds great! It is about -40 outside here right now and I need a remote start ASAP considering the only other way to warm up my truck is to leave the key in it and the doors unlocked, ideal theft situation. Please let me know if this goes anywhere or point me to the info I need to do one myself. Thanks a million!

*Update* I just bought one and I am hoping to install it before it hits -50 here! I am wondering a lot about 2 things. A clear Dummy proof Wiring diagram and how to tell if I need the Bypass for my key.

-Ducky
Old 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDucky View Post
I just got on Tacoworld looking for the thread you are (hopefully) making! I don't have the money to have one installed and saving $400 sounds great! It is about -40 outside here right now and I need a remote start ASAP considering the only other way to warm up my truck is to leave the key in it and the doors unlocked, ideal theft situation. Please let me know if this goes anywhere or point me to the info I need to do one myself. Thanks a million!

*Update* I just bought one and I am hoping to install it before it hits -50 here! I am wondering a lot about 2 things. A clear Dummy proof Wiring diagram and how to tell if I need the Bypass for my key.

-Ducky
I'm working on the write-up right now (I've had a crazy busy week). I'm trying to make it dummy proof so anyone can do it. It looks like you have a 2010 Tacoma, so you'll definitely need a bypass. To make sure, look at your key. As far as I know, all cars that need a bypass have a dot on one side of the key where the metal and plastic meet.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jford44 View Post
Just had my Viper 5704 installed by Best Buy in my 2011 Toyota SR5 double cab. They had a heck of a time getting the remote start to work with every module they had in stock. After talking to all of their tech supports and keeping the truck for 2 days they finally realized they had to put one of my keys in the module permanently to get it to work because of the 64-bit encryption. Works good now though.
Do you think you could post a photo of all your keys? Or the one that isn't inside your steering column? Haha!
Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
I'm working on the write-up right now (I've had a crazy busy week). I'm trying to make it dummy proof so anyone can do it. It looks like you have a 2010 Tacoma, so you'll definitely need a bypass. To make sure, look at your key. As far as I know, all cars that need a bypass have a dot on one side of the key where the metal and plastic meet.
Thank you for this! If you've got a bypass and it works well, I will just buy the same one Mine has the dot on the side too. I figured I need a bypass and was looking at the Fortune Key Override All. It has some nice directions online. I really appreciate what your doing!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDucky View Post
Thank you for this! If you've got a bypass and it works well, I will just buy the same one Mine has the dot on the side too. I figured I need a bypass and was looking at the Fortune Key Override All. It has some nice directions online. I really appreciate what your doing!
One note on the bypass that I used. The bypass I used is a universal bypass and needs to have the firmware loaded onto it by someone with access to the company's database. The car audio shop I bought the bypass from did this for me. So if you buy this same one, make sure you get the firmware flashed onto it by someone. I'm not sure if an online retailer would do this or not.

The same company (iDataLink) makes bypasses with firmware pre-loaded for our trucks. You can go this route, but I'm not sure which one you would need nor how to wire it. It might wire up the same as mine, but it might not.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
One note on the bypass that I used. The bypass I used is a universal bypass and needs to have the firmware loaded onto it by someone with access to the company's database. The car audio shop I bought the bypass from did this for me. So if you buy this same one, make sure you get the firmware flashed onto it by someone. I'm not sure if an online retailer would do this or not.

The same company (iDataLink) makes bypasses with firmware pre-loaded for our trucks. You can go this route, but I'm not sure which one you would need nor how to wire it. It might wire up the same as mine, but it might not.
Thanks for the heads up, Ill do some more research on it. Glad I haven't bought on yet!