1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any interest on a Guide for installing a Viper 5704 alarm/remote start

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Riverdog, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Nov 24, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I just bought a Viper 5704 alarm/remote start and am going to install it soon. But I'm not a professional installer. In fact, I've never installed one of these before. Because I've never done this before, I'm in the process of writing out a guide for myself to follow. The directions are already quite long, and to make them understandable to others I'd have to add quite a bit to the directions (e.g. better explanations, pictures, etc.). So before I do that I just wanted to gauge everyone's interest level.

The guide would only apply to a 2005-2008 Tacoma, and would only cover a Viper 5704 alarm/remote start. So they'd be directions for a specific install. Do you guys have any interest in a guide like this?

2. Nov 24, 2012 at 9:27 PM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Yes. Id thik that any of the viper systems would be similar. I think it would be good. I may use it if i break down and get one...

3. Nov 25, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    I would like to see a write up if possible.

What bypass kit do you plan on using? I know there are a couple of options for this. Directed is what most pros use, even narrowing it down to them you have options.

I have put in a couple kits in the past and depending on the vehicle they can be tricky mainly on euro cars. I looked into the Tacoma and it was straight forward but time consuming, I was lacking time so I opted not to do it just yet.

4. Nov 25, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I'm using an iDataLink ADS-TB for my bypass. I mostly chose this bypass because it was what was sold at the shop I bought the 5704 from. But prior to buying it, also read that it's a pretty good bypass and is very reliable. I had one of the guys at the shop flash the bypass with the appropriate firmware.

The overall install seems like its going to be pretty straightforward. I'm just taking my time researching, asking questions, and planning it all out. I'm hoping all this prep work will pay off in the form of not having any problems. But it is my first install, so I'm expecting running into at least a few issues.

If there is little interest for this among TW members, I might just PM the few that are interested all of the details.

By the way, if you're on the fence about this let me help push you over. The quote I got from Best Buy to install this same system was about $680. The price I paid for the 5704, the bypass, and all the little parts will end up being about $290. Just something for you to think about.

5. Nov 25, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    Jones

Jones Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 SSM Prerunner TRD-OFFROAD
    Front: 5100@1.75 with SR5 coils; Rear: 5100 and 1.5 Toytec aal; Tires: Hankook 265/75R16 RF08 ATM; Wheels: powdercoated off-road wheels with FJ TRD center caps
    I say post it up for everyone to see, even if there is little shown interest. At the very least it will help someone do it down the road or be a reference back on your install.

6. Nov 25, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    identium

identium New Member

Member:
    i have this 5704 model installed on my new 2012 and i love it! Dont remember which bypass was installed, but it was a bit tricky. One thing i'm trying to figure out is how to set it to autolock and unlock doors when truck goes out of park and when i shut off engine.

7. Nov 25, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    That's a really good idea. If you can't find the answer from a TW member, I recommend posting that question on the12volt.com in the Install Bay Forum here. I've used this forum for help with planning out my 5704 install and it's been very useful. If you get it figured out I'd really like to know how to do that. Good luck!

EDIT: I found your answer! (sort of) It works off the ignition, not the shifter. Its a programming feature of the 5704. When activated, the doors will lock when the ignition is turned on, and unlock when the ignition is turned off. Go here and download the installation manual if you don't already have one. It's item #25 on that page. What you're looking for is on page 12 and 13 and is called Ign-controlled locks. Hope that helps!

8. Nov 25, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    Jones

Jones Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas DFW
    Vehicle:
    Front: 5100@1.75 with SR5 coils; Rear: 5100 and 1.5 Toytec aal; Tires: Hankook 265/75R16 RF08 ATM; Wheels: powdercoated off-road wheels with FJ TRD center caps
    5704 quick reference install guide
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/at...-5704-5901-replacement-viper_5704_install.pdf

The 3rd page has it under menu 1, item 5 for ignition controlled locks. It will lock and unlock when the ignition is turned on and off.

I don't think there is a way to have the truck lock when it goes out of park.

9. Nov 27, 2012 at 3:35 AM
    Jford44

Jford44 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    11 Double Cab SR5
    Just had my Viper 5704 installed by Best Buy in my 2011 Toyota SR5 double cab. They had a heck of a time getting the remote start to work with every module they had in stock. After talking to all of their tech supports and keeping the truck for 2 days they finally realized they had to put one of my keys in the module permanently to get it to work because of the 64-bit encryption. Works good now though. :)

10. Nov 27, 2012 at 3:57 AM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Definitely do a write up. I may be installing my own here soon as well. Got a SMOKING deal on a viper system with smart start and GPS module along with 1 year subscription to both. OTD at 200 bones. Pays to know people.

11. Nov 27, 2012 at 7:51 AM
    custom90gt

custom90gt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 SWB TRD Off Road
    Yeah I'd be very interested in a guide as well. I've had a 5704 on my Amazon wishlist for a month now...

12. Nov 27, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    Jones

Jones Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas DFW
    Vehicle:
  13. Nov 29, 2012 at 2:14 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Yeah, I saw those links and they are definitely helpful. Thanks for putting those out there for others to see.

I'm working on the write up for it today. I should have it all polished and ready tomorrow.

14. Nov 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    subbed

15. Dec 4, 2012 at 4:50 PM
    RubberDucky

RubberDucky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport SR5 LB
    Stereo install.
    I just got on Tacoworld looking for the thread you are (hopefully) making! I don't have the money to have one installed and saving $400 sounds great! It is about -40 outside here right now and I need a remote start ASAP considering the only other way to warm up my truck is to leave the key in it and the doors unlocked, ideal theft situation. Please let me know if this goes anywhere or point me to the info I need to do one myself. Thanks a million!

*Update* I just bought one and I am hoping to install it before it hits -50 here! I am wondering a lot about 2 things. A clear Dummy proof Wiring diagram and how to tell if I need the Bypass for my key.

-Ducky

16. Dec 5, 2012 at 5:21 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    I'm working on the write-up right now (I've had a crazy busy week). I'm trying to make it dummy proof so anyone can do it. It looks like you have a 2010 Tacoma, so you'll definitely need a bypass. To make sure, look at your key. As far as I know, all cars that need a bypass have a dot on one side of the key where the metal and plastic meet.

17. Dec 5, 2012 at 6:16 PM
    RubberDucky

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport SR5 LB
    Stereo install.
    Do you think you could post a photo of all your keys? Or the one that isn't inside your steering column? Haha!

18. Dec 5, 2012 at 6:21 PM
    RubberDucky

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport SR5 LB
    Stereo install.
    Thank you for this! If you've got a bypass and it works well, I will just buy the same one ;) Mine has the dot on the side too. I figured I need a bypass and was looking at the Fortune Key Override All. It has some nice directions online. I really appreciate what your doing!

19. Dec 5, 2012 at 9:13 PM
    Riverdog

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    One note on the bypass that I used. The bypass I used is a universal bypass and needs to have the firmware loaded onto it by someone with access to the company's database. The car audio shop I bought the bypass from did this for me. So if you buy this same one, make sure you get the firmware flashed onto it by someone. I'm not sure if an online retailer would do this or not.

The same company (iDataLink) makes bypasses with firmware pre-loaded for our trucks. You can go this route, but I'm not sure which one you would need nor how to wire it. It might wire up the same as mine, but it might not.

20. Dec 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM
    RubberDucky

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Pole, AK
    Vehicle:
    2010 Sport SR5 LB
    Stereo install.
    Thanks for the heads up, Ill do some more research on it. Glad I haven't bought on yet!

Products Discussed in

To Top