LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Adjust headlights after lift?

Old 11-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Adjust headlights after lift?

I have a 2012 tacoma and now that it getting dark at 6 I have been getting people light checking me. Are the stock lights that bright or has my 3 inch lift affected the angle causing it to be in people face? I also hit a big buck in the ass tonight. Thank god for the great brakes on the truck. I just clipped him in the butt with my front passenger bumper. No damage. Lucky cause I was rolling.
So is there a way to adjust headlights?
Old 11-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, search on here if you need to see where the adjustment points are. You'll use a long Phillips head screw driver for up down/left right. I also hit a deer with my car last night (civic) and same thing happened I braked and managed to scrub off enough speed before impact. I hit her legs out from under her and had fur under my headlight but no damage. At the time of impact I was going less than 10, I really got lucky. With I was in the truck with my ARB!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Holly cow! That's a lot of crap to do to adjust them. Guess people will just have to deal with it.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
rawdog has a spectacular aura aboutrawdog has a spectacular aura about

Name: Steve
rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
stupid deer are running all over the road at this time of year. Everyone needs to get out and start hunting!

And yes, its definitely your lift.. as your lights are 3" higher and your truck is probably level now so the lights go straight forward rather than slightly down.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely adjust them down a little.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
AzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedAzogSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Govenor's Twenty, Mobilization Trainer, Squad Designated Marksman, Flight Operations
Name: Andy
AzogSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post
Holly cow! That's a lot of crap to do to adjust them. Guess people will just have to deal with it.
If you can turn a screw driver you can adjust them.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the problems of lifted vehicles.

Yes, the headlights must be adjusted any time the suspension is changed.
Now for the bad news.
It's not going to help as much as you hope.

The problem is, the proper headlight aiming reference changes with the height of the headlights.
Stock, say your headlights are 24" above the ground. The low side of your cutoff should appear at 22" on a wall 20ft ahead of the truck.
Lift the truck 6", and now the headlights are 30" above the ground. The aim point moves up to 28".

Theoretically, you only need to correct for any difference in lift between the front and rear (and be sure to check it from time to time as the springs settle in).

Adjusted properly, your view down the road will be slightly improved, and you shouldn't be getting people flashing you, but when you pull up behind someone, you need to be aware that you may be blinding them from behind.

If you aim the lights lower than they should be to avoid blinding people in front of you, then you end up really hurting your range on low beam.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Adjust your lights
Old 11-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
It's very simple. Locate the vertical adjuster and lower the beams little bit. Turn them both the same amount of turns. Done in 5 minutes.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #11
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzogSS View Post
If you can turn a screw driver you can adjust them.
Yeah , this

The pdf I posted just was to show you where the adjusters are
Old 11-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #12

As long as the bumper cover doesn't have to come off I will do it. So a long screwdriver will get to a screws? To easy then!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
As long as the bumper cover doesn't have to come off I will do it. So a long screwdriver will get to a screws? To easy then!
Seriously... it's a 15 minute job.

Park behind the local Lowe's and use their wall.

20ft from the wall, measure to the center of your headlight (center of the bulb's glare shield), lay a piece of tape on the wall 2" below that.

Unplug one headlight and adjust the other, then swap plugs.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #14

Good thinking on the lowes wall. Was wondering where to do it cause my drive way is a hill. Thanks everyone I shall do this week!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #15
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wish it was light till 6
I guess I have to move south to get longer days. It was getting dark by 4pm here today.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
It was getting dark by 4pm here today.
Same here
Old 11-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #17

Can't wait till spring. I hate this time of year with the short days and cold weather.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #18

Woot woot I'm not a junior member no more!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #19
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

On An Island's Tacoma Gallery
If your state requires yearly inspections (they do here in Texas) then any place that does them can adjust your headlights to be in compliance. Even if your state doesn't, please adjust them down as suggested by Oz and Rich.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by On An Island View Post
If your state requires yearly inspections (they do here in Texas) then any place that does them can adjust your headlights to be in compliance. Even if your state doesn't, please adjust them down as suggested by Oz and Rich.
No state inspections in kentucky. I am going to adjust this week.