Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dual case t-case skid - Big Thanks to BAMF

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Senior Member
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of
 
Wicked 2007's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2010, #47770
Location: Bay Area, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 564
Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
Dual case t-case skid - Big Thanks to BAMF

Just wanted to post something that Jerry and I at BAMF put together yesterday. Huge thanks to Jerry - great guy and awesome work!! Anyone wondering about the quality of his work - don't worry, his products are solid and very well built.

A couple years ago Wyatt and I put in a FJ t-case (twin stick) and a marlin crawler (4.7 gears). While this setup has worked out great (probably the best thing i've done to any truck. I was concerned that my t-case was exposed cause it sat 8" farther back and no one makes a dual case crossmember or skid plate to protect the t-case on a dual case setup.

After talking with Jerry a few times we finally put a date together to bust this out. At first I was looking for just a skid to the t-case (since I had made a mount already for the crawler) but once there we decided it would be nice to run the skid up to the crossmember and incorporate the marlin crawler mount to the skid.

a couple hours later on the computer and we had a design ready to cut on his CNC plasma. We decided on 1/4" - yes its over kill but going 3/16th wouldn't be that much lights and 1/4" makes it bomb proof. I think 3/16" is about 20-25% lighter so for this skid were only talking 10lbs heavier going to 1/4"

We made a plate that bolted to the back face of the crossmember and welded that to the skid. We ran the skid from the front of the crossmember back behind the t-case. There we used square tubing to bolt to the skid and then to the frame for support. We angled the sides up 90* for strength and made the rear come out at an angle to slide of rocks easy. We made two cuts so you can access the crawl box mount bolts and welded the mount to the skid for the rubber crawl box mount bolts to that.

here is the finished product. I will be taking it off to primer and paint, I will take pics of it off but here are a few i took today with it on.
Attached Thumbnails
Dual case t-case skid - Big Thanks to BAMF-photo-1.jpg   Dual case t-case skid - Big Thanks to BAMF-photo-2.jpg   Dual case t-case skid - Big Thanks to BAMF-photo-3.jpg   Dual case t-case skid - Big Thanks to BAMF-photo-4.jpg   Dual case t-case skid - Big Thanks to BAMF-photo-5.jpg  

Dual case t-case skid - Big Thanks to BAMF-photo.jpg  
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Sep 2011, #63268
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,938
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Damn that looks good. Any chance Jerry will make skids for regular tacos?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Senior Member
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of
 
Wicked 2007's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2010, #47770
Location: Bay Area, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 564
Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Damn that looks good. Any chance Jerry will make skids for regular tacos?
Thanks. I think that's a Jerry question. My guess would be yes, but in the future. I'll let him comment on it though
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #5
Senior Member
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Jan 2009, #12156
Location: O.C. Cali
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,541
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Turned out very nice. And you did all the right things. You supported the crawler box and protected both the crawler and the t case with out bolting anything to the t case. So now, not only will you have a protected drive train, but you wont have to worry about any leaks occuring because of stress coming from pressure put on the t case from mounts and such. Very nice


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked 2007 View Post
Just wanted to post something that Jerry and I at BAMF put together yesterday. Huge thanks to Jerry - great guy and awesome work!! Anyone wondering about the quality of his work - don't worry, his products are solid and very well built.

A couple years ago Wyatt and I put in a FJ t-case (twin stick) and a marlin crawler (4.7 gears). While this setup has worked out great (probably the best thing i've done to any truck. I was concerned that my t-case was exposed cause it sat 8" farther back and no one makes a dual case crossmember or skid plate to protect the t-case on a dual case setup.

After talking with Jerry a few times we finally put a date together to bust this out. At first I was looking for just a skid to the t-case (since I had made a mount already for the crawler) but once there we decided it would be nice to run the skid up to the crossmember and incorporate the marlin crawler mount to the skid.

a couple hours later on the computer and we had a design ready to cut on his CNC plasma. We decided on 1/4" - yes its over kill but going 3/16th wouldn't be that much lights and 1/4" makes it bomb proof. I think 3/16" is about 20-25% lighter so for this skid were only talking 10lbs heavier going to 1/4"

We made a plate that bolted to the back face of the crossmember and welded that to the skid. We ran the skid from the front of the crossmember back behind the t-case. There we used square tubing to bolt to the skid and then to the frame for support. We angled the sides up 90* for strength and made the rear come out at an angle to slide of rocks easy. We made two cuts so you can access the crawl box mount bolts and welded the mount to the skid for the rubber crawl box mount bolts to that.

here is the finished product. I will be taking it off to primer and paint, I will take pics of it off but here are a few i took today with it on.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
Senior Member
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of
 
Wicked 2007's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2010, #47770
Location: Bay Area, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 564
Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsumdc View Post
Turned out very nice. And you did all the right things. You supported the crawler box and protected both the crawler and the t case with out bolting anything to the t case. So now, not only will you have a protected drive train, but you wont have to worry about any leaks occuring because of stress coming from pressure put on the t case from mounts and such. Very nice
Thanks Wyatt - glad to hear you approve since you were heavily involved in helping me put in the crawl box and FJ twin stick case - still my favorite mod to date!

Leaving the t-case exposed has been on my mind ever since doing this and I can finally rest easy on the trails knowing I wont be popping my t-case on any rock and doing any JB weld trail fixes like you and Dan had to this past weekend on Ray's t-case after popping it on a rock.

With more and more 2nd gens finally doing marlin boxes - it will be good to see people more mass produce a marlin case/t-case skid plate that incorporates the mount like we did (and like the do for the 2004 and belows)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
GP3 GP3 is offline
Senior Member
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
GP3's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2011, #54719
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,205
GP3's Tacoma Gallery
OT: You haven't had any issues with your front axles with all that torque from the 4.56 gears and crawl box?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Dec 2010, #47036
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,705
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, that's nice, love Jerry's work
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #10
Senior Member
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Joined: Jan 2009, #12156
Location: O.C. Cali
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,541
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
OT: You haven't had any issues with your front axles with all that torque from the 4.56 gears and crawl box?
NO. Actually you save parts because everything is moving so slow. Now if it gets bound up then yes your going to have issue's but in most case's the lower gearing allows you far more control over the vehicle which in turns protects parts better.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
Senior Member
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of
 
Wicked 2007's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2010, #47770
Location: Bay Area, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 564
Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP3 View Post
OT: You haven't had any issues with your front axles with all that torque from the 4.56 gears and crawl box?
No. I carry two spare CV shafts with me. Never broke one. This is on 35" tires and a locker.

As Wyatt said you move so slow and methodically you are never on the gas to break stuff. If you feel yourself getting bound you just pop it in neutral.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
JLee's Avatar
Name: Jerry
Joined: Jul 2010, #40461
Location: Bay Area NorCal
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,465
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to have helped it was a fun little project on a Sunday to work on and that thing is a beast just under 1/4 4'x8' sheet of 1/4" plate we will have to hit the trail this spring to give it some real world testing
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #13
Senior Member
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of
 
Wicked 2007's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2010, #47770
Location: Bay Area, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 564
Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Glad to have helped it was a fun little project on a Sunday to work on and that thing is a beast just under 1/4 4'x8' sheet of 1/4" plate we will have to hit the trail this spring to give it some real world testing
Thanks again, looking forward to beating it up!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #14
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
DoorDing's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2012, #86445
Age: 2
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,808
DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great!

One suggestion: Now that the skid is complete, you may want to anchor a heat shield to it to protect the transfer case and U-joint from the crossover exhaust pipe. Considering all the rest of the work you've put into the project, it'd be an easy addition, and would help keep your gear lube temperature a little lower.

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #15
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
mgrande's Avatar
Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
Joined: Apr 2009, #15830
Location: Orlando
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,268
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
You just wanted to show off your marlin crawler
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #17
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
DoorDing's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2012, #86445
Age: 2
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,808
DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
If Jerry is too busy, I noticed that BudBuilt sells a dual case skid, too. I've been happy with his other skids, but have no experience with that one. That said, there's nothing like having a well made, custom built part.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
Senior Member
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of
 
Wicked 2007's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2010, #47770
Location: Bay Area, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 564
Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
If Jerry is too busy, I noticed that BudBuilt sells a dual case skid, too. I've been happy with his other skids, but have no experience with that one. That said, there's nothing like having a well made, custom built part.
Bud Built does not make a dual case mount/t-case skid for 2nd gen tacomas - I spoke with bud about it. they do for earlier models though. They only have a skid for someone with dual cases. - its important to support the crawl box with a mount.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #19
Most people call me ... Jim.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
DoorDing's Avatar
Joined: Sep 2012, #86445
Age: 2
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,808
DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked 2007 View Post
Bud Built does not make a dual case mount/t-case skid for 2nd gen tacomas - I spoke with bud about it. they do for earlier models though. They only have a skid for someone with dual cases. - its important to support the crawl box with a mount.
Then this is really odd:

05+ Tacoma Trans Skid Dual Case
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #20
Senior Member
Wicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud ofWicked 2007 has much to be proud of
 
Wicked 2007's Avatar
Joined: Dec 2010, #47770
Location: Bay Area, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 564
Wicked 2007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Then this is really odd:

05+ Tacoma Trans Skid Dual Case
Not really odd, its just a long skid plate - but no mount like this (I guess you could modify it and put one one) thats why I spoke with bud and he told me they dont have a true dual case mount/skid like they do for the early models ( https://www.budbuilt.com/new/dual_cross_members.html )

I think as we see more people putting crawl boxes in, people will start making them soon - until then it will need to be more of a one off/custom job.

I nice ideal setup would be to remove the factory crossmember and build the dual cross member and skid like the one buds does for early trucks linked above.

For now I was just looking for a skid to protect my t-case but also have it incorporate a mount for the crawler (I had just a simple mount int here before but removed it since the skid incorporates it now)

  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual transfer case questions MtnRanchtaco 1st Gen. Tacomas 1 03-17-2012 07:57 PM
dual case on automatic trans? tsab916 Technical Chat 2 10-18-2011 11:26 PM
anybody done dual t-case? Rebeltac 1st Gen. Tacomas 1 11-21-2010 03:10 PM
FS: Skid Row Skid Plates - Front and Transfer Case 95-04 Tacoma Tacozona Buy / Sell / Trade 2 07-03-2010 12:50 PM
Dual T-case set-up 5.20:1 Crawlin Dark Knight Technical Chat 8 01-22-2010 02:46 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.