1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would you buy another tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jmaglipay, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Nov 29, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    mountainman94

mountainman94 awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    A Place of Higher Learning
    Vehicle:
    '98 TRD SR5
    5100's/Eibach coils; 2 inch toytech AAL, Black Pacer 15x8 wheels, 32x11.5 BFG AT K/Os
    Does it? I was just comparing my 3.4 to my moms 5.4, and we get about the same mpgs, but her expedition can smoke my taco any day of the week.

2. Nov 30, 2012 at 12:02 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    Hoping to win powerball are we?

3. Nov 30, 2012 at 12:12 AM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    It's built OK for its purpose.

I'll take a VW Amarok or the Great Wall Motors Steed. ;)

4. Nov 30, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    NO WAY IN HELL would I buy another Toyota, especially Tacoma, my experience with the mechanical integrity, interior quality, and warranty support is awful. Drive train shudder / shake, weak suspension & load capacity, clutch and trans probs, steering column knock, lots of interior rattles basically suck. Toyota's response to my warranty concerns has been to dismiss them all as "normal".

I've got a 2012 DCSB OR and it's been back to the dealer 9 times.

Tacoma quality is not predictable, maybe they'll burn you too, maybe they won't.

Note: My F350 7.3 has been a far better product with less problems over 13 years and 150k miles.

5. Nov 30, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Go check your states Anti-lemon laws. I haven't had any problems with my truck (knock on wood) but it seems you have a lemon.

6. Nov 30, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    DoubleTake

DoubleTake Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would buy another and have bought others before. I started out with a 2000 Tacoma TRD (wish I still had it). Sold that and got a 99 4Runner. Sold that and now drive a F250 7.3. I need it to pull my mowing trailer w/ two mowers and occassionally a 26' gooseneck and tractor. I recently bought a friends 98 Tacoma for hunting and driving around town. I love being able to slip around through the woods in the Tacoma. If I ever get rid of my F250, I would really consider getting a Tacoma DCLB. I really like the looks of the Sport models.

7. Nov 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    650H1

650H1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 (Cement) TRD O/R
    I think you're being a pain in the ass. Every truck is going to have small rattles and shit especially as outside temps change and plastic expands and contracts. The driveline issue is not really an issue, and nothing is wrong, if you wanted something to ride like a marshmallow you should've gotten a 2001 ford Taurus, could've saved a shitload of money. Not sure about your clutch and tranny problems? Care to elaborate on that? Steering column knock? Wtf is that? Any car makers warranty department is going to be the same, as they are there to protect the company, not you. And because they are denying your warranty claim for interior rattles, doesn't mean they suck.... Basically, all cars have issues, it's just a matter of whether or not you'd like to replace a transmission in 3 years or deal with plastic rattling that can be fixed in 10 mins by yourself :rolleyes:

8. Nov 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM
    snowtank

snowtank Where the fuck did my beer go!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    11 txpro dcsb 08 trd sprt dcsb
    Some stuff here and there....
    Sure will. Actually just bought another last night for my girl. We are a taco family now! Mine 11 txpro. Hers is 08 trd dbl cb

9. Nov 30, 2012 at 4:28 PM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    Absolutely. My 2011 is running like a top at 72k. I am hoping to take it well into the 350k range.

Though toyota keeps blowing up my email with 0% offers on a new Tundra...

10. Dec 1, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    MotorsportsAustin

MotorsportsAustin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Belmont, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Off Road 6spd
    What do you sell Tacomas or something?

You're making a lot of assumptions, and seemingly unfamiliar with Tacoma probs or effects of poor drive train harmonics. No not every car maker's warranty dept is the same. Toyota just sucks IMO. I'll bet you haven't owned a lot of brands of vehicles on warranty, especially nice stuff, not just trucks. (And no your parents' or family's cars don't count.)

Dealer repeatedly addressed clutch problem (fails to fully disengage and pedal assembly was installed incorrrectly at factory, foreman says likely weak pressure plate). They've also honored and fixed some rattles, and steering column knock (TSB). One was considered safety issue, had to reassemble driver seat. Toyota now says dealer not allowed to pull back gear box and inspect or replace, nor attempt to fix drive line shudder.

Same point still goes, buy a Tacoma, might get a bad one, bigger problem is don't count on Toyota to remedy. When I get the results from lemon law process (very long process) then victory = Toyota will replace with good one, or loss = I take it on the chin and replace with non-Toyota.

Thanks for trying to help, but it's still a non-supported shi* box.

11. Dec 1, 2012 at 4:43 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    If I felt this way about a vehicle I was driving...

It would be traded in on something different ASAP.

end of story.

done.

12. Dec 2, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    RedTacoDriver

RedTacoDriver Out of my mind....be back later.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Regular Cab 2.7L
    BakFlipG2, Westin Nerf Bars, Harbor Freight Bed Jacks, Flame Devil Horns, vinyl raven emblems, intermittent wiper switch swapout More to come.

It is amazing that this guy still is on the Tacoma World forum if he is so dead against this vehicle. It sort makes me wonder if he is just a lurker who would run down any vehicle as that is how he gets his jollies. From reading his posts I get the sense that his story will change and he will get more animated the more we draw attention to him.

This guy is an attention whore, ignore him and he will go away.

13. Dec 2, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    Umrunner

Umrunner Caltanian

Member:
    Around.
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC OR Timberland Mica. 6 speed.
    Leer 100xr with adventure package, duratrack's, weathertech's, demello sliders, billie 5100's all around, URD short shifter, Diff breather mod. Hiese lightbar. Grillcraft grill. PIAA 520 severere weather driving lights. Other random stuff as well.
    Yes.
    But Chances are my next truck will be an older diesel.
    The fact that i can drive a full sized truck, and get over 20 to the gallon is appealing to me.

14. Dec 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    mistaare

mistaare Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    silver. sport.

But has a 2012 F250 diesel crewcab and gets better gas mileage than my Taco everyday.

15. Dec 2, 2012 at 2:42 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Don't know if I will ever need to, this thing will probably last the rest of my life, but I would if it didn't.

16. Dec 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    Miketech

Miketech Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Seattle, WA & San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 TRD Sport
    It would certainly be one of the vehicles considered. This is my second Toyota after a 1997 4Runner that saved my life. After seeing the build quality of the 4Runner through the accident (flipped 3 1/2 times, coming to rest on its roof at the bottom of a ~10" ditch, walked away with a scraped elbow) and knowing that the Tacoma is built to similar standards as well as having been treated so well by Toyota over the years I don't think I would be much interested in anything that wasn't Toyota. Currently the Tacoma fits my needs perfectly and I love it. It would be hard to choose between an FJ and a Tacoma when the time comes, but right now I need the bed space. It's an excellent truck.

17. Dec 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    Deererainman

Deererainman Member

Member:
    Central KY
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 4x4 Stock
    non
    Oh yeah. Been driving a Toyota truck for years, solid & dependable. Pretty inexpensive to own.

I'm not going to buy a new one until (you listening Toyota?) one is offered in diesel configuration.

18. Dec 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Plan on waiting for a very long time, because diesel isn't happening anytime soon, I doubt it ever will. We will see a hybrid or fully electric Tacoma before a diesel Tacoma. You can always save up for a dieseltoys conversion though. Costs about 20 grand I think.

19. Dec 4, 2012 at 4:51 AM
    miniceptor86

miniceptor86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    McGregor,IA
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue Prerunner Dbl cab
    TRD sport exhaust and cold air intake, nerf and bull bar, RideRide, ProEFX towing mirrors, BakFlip F1 trifold tonneau
    I have no reason to buy another Tacoma. They have made no significant improvements in gen two Tacomas and they dropped the only color I would consider, speedway blue! Everybody knows BluTacos are faster, get better mpg, last longer and get more attention from the girls!

I might however be tempted by a speedway blue dcsb td if it performed like the VW diesels I have driven and came close to 30 mpg! Might make up for the messiness of diesel fuel.

Jim

20. Dec 4, 2012 at 4:56 AM
    toyohtadude

toyohtadude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 4x4 Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Bone stock
    This is my third Taco. I had a Gen I extra-cab, then got a Gen I DC. I traded that for a Tundra stepside TRD and didn't like that so I went to the current Gen II TRD O-R DC!

Before that, I drove two of the hi-lux 2wd minis for years....

I tried a Chevy...... once..... and felt really dirty and got depressed, then I wised up and came back.

Products Discussed in

To Top