1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Leaf TSB + AAL -- OR -- Just the AAL...Opinions!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by edavidso, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Nov 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    edavidso

edavidso [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1997 SR5 3.4L 4x4 & 2011 TRD OR DC SB 6Spd 4x
    3" Toytec Lift, Smitty Roll Bar, Push Bar, Nerf Bars, 7 KC 150W, Viper alarm w/ Remote Start, Pioneer CD/MP3, 6 disc changer, Infiniti Speakers, Rhino Lining.
    So here's the deal. I am putting on a 3" lift. I am going with the Toytec AAL in the back. I do not have the TSB done (only 3 leafs in back). I realize that I will get 3" one of two ways with this set up. I could do the 2" AAL and not get the TSB done (Stay with 3 leafs) -- OR -- I could get the TSB done (4 leafs) and add the 1.5" AAL to get the 3" of lift. I realize either way will give 3" of lift. My question is, if I choose not the have the TSB done and stick with the longer 2" AAL, will I be sacrificing on how much weight I can carry in the bed?

In other words, If I were to load the back up with a few hundred pounds of camping gear and bikes, fill it with 4 guys and a tank of gas, will I be dragging ass with the 2" AAL and no TSB? Or would it be better to deal with Toyota hassle, get the TSB done, and add the 1.5" AAL? My concern with this is the rest of the time with nothing in the back, will I have to glue my butt to the seat when going over any bumps (Harsh Ride)?

I have a 2011 DC SB...I do not carry heavy loads, but I do occasionally pull a small boat in the summers. Is the 2" AAL sufficient? I was told the 2" AAL would give approx 200#/sqft.

I have searched for this and havent found a specific opinion...

2. Nov 27, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    spiralout462

spiralout462 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern Shore VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 dclb
    Icon suspension '15 toyota nav TRD FJ SE anthracite wheels Weathertechs Trd pro pieces
    I would like to know the same thing. Sub'd

3. Nov 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM
    mike92y

mike92y Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OFF ROAD
    OME all around. SPC UCA. This and that.
    I did the TSB and a 1.5" AAL from Toytec. I baught a leer topper and the rear leafs are hurting. Stock leaf pack suck if you can afford it get a new leaf pack. I will not be able to post pics till next week. I have a Access Cab.

4. Nov 27, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    Hound83

Hound83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD off road 4X4
    Icon coilover w/ King 700lb spring, ARB front bumper, Warn M8000, AllPro rear bumper w/ tire carrier, OME rear nitrochargers, Dakar leaf pack with overload, Wheeler€™s front and rear SuperBump, Icon tubular UCA, Icon lower control arm skid plate, Armor Tech Offroad front skid, Relentless mid skid, CBI rock sliders, diff drop, BAMF behind the grill light bar, Rigid Dually & D2 LED lights, HomerTaco Satoshi grill, ATO bed cross bars, ARB air compressor, ARB roof top tent, ARB awning = 6300lbs gvw
    I'm in the same boat. I actually went to Toyota today and asked for the TSB, they said they would do it BUT I would hate the ride unless I had 200+lbs in the bed at all times. I opted not to and came back on here for the 20th time to try and figure out the best possible setup.

I am currently running Icon coilovers in the front and Icon 2.0 resi in the rear and was thinking about the Icon progressive leaf pack w/overload to help with what I assume is a weight issue now when camping. Last weekend I had about 300lbs of gear in the bed on the trail and while bouncing around one of my shocks burst a seal and oil went everywhere. I had to limp home with only the leafs supporting the rear. (this was only after 6 months of owning the Icons, verdict is still out on if i have to pay for the repair of the shocks)

5. Nov 27, 2012 at 4:30 PM
    ckeene9

ckeene9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB Supercharged 4x4 TRD Sport
    See Build Thread
    Sub'd

6. Nov 27, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    Hound83

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD off road 4X4
    Icon coilover w/ King 700lb spring, ARB front bumper, Warn M8000, AllPro rear bumper w/ tire carrier, OME rear nitrochargers, Dakar leaf pack with overload, Wheeler€™s front and rear SuperBump, Icon tubular UCA, Icon lower control arm skid plate, Armor Tech Offroad front skid, Relentless mid skid, CBI rock sliders, diff drop, BAMF behind the grill light bar, Rigid Dually & D2 LED lights, HomerTaco Satoshi grill, ATO bed cross bars, ARB air compressor, ARB roof top tent, ARB awning = 6300lbs gvw
    They didn't hassle me at all, the service advisor even pointed out that I didn't need it but would be more then willing to do it if I really wanted it. He also said that about half of the people who get it come back about a week later complaining about stiffer ride quality.

7. Nov 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM
    P9HST2

P9HST2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM AC TRD OR
    WeatherTech floor liners, tailgate hoseclamp, Famous Fab sliders, Brute Force Fab rear bumper, Icon "3T" suspension.
    My understanding is that you'll get the stated ToyTec lift amount.

They said in a thread, that I don't have a link to at the moment, that the 2" AAL will give no more than 2" of lift.

So it seems to me that a 1.5" TSB AAL will give you 1.5" over the factory TSB height, and a 2" non-TSB AAL will give you 2" over your non-TSB 3-leaf springs.

8. Nov 27, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ West Valley
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Taco
    OME Lift, Stubbs Sliders, Truxedo cover, Pioneer Avic deck, speakers/amp etc., Black badges.
    If you are doing an AAL in either situation, save yourself the hassle of taking it in for the TSB. Common sense, dudes. You can get to your destination in one stop or two, its up to you.

I did the Toytec 1.5" AAL and an OME front with no spacers (2 3/4") lift for reference. Looks great and handles loads fine. i did a week in the AZ Strip loaded with 20 gallons of gas, huge cooler, 10 gallons of water, plus food and gear without issues.

9. Nov 28, 2012 at 7:17 AM
    edavidso

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    3" Toytec Lift, Smitty Roll Bar, Push Bar, Nerf Bars, 7 KC 150W, Viper alarm w/ Remote Start, Pioneer CD/MP3, 6 disc changer, Infiniti Speakers, Rhino Lining.
    So it sounds like no one has a firm opinion either way....even thought its apparently "common sense, dudes"

I'm going to stick with what I got (the 2" AAL and not get the TSB). I will report back when it's done with how the ride is and how the weight carrying is.

10. Nov 28, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ West Valley
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Taco
    OME Lift, Stubbs Sliders, Truxedo cover, Pioneer Avic deck, speakers/amp etc., Black badges.
    My opinion is firm, it is uneccessary to complicate the process with the TSB if you are going to install an AAL either way. You are doing it right just getting the 2" AAL and skipping the TSB IMO.

If that doesn't meet your needs- the next option is replacing the whole leaf pack with an expedition leaf pack. I was fine with a weeks gear and 3 guys in the truck in the AZ strip going through some tough terrain with just the 1.5" AAL.

11. Nov 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM
    nytro

nytro Active Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB
    Front:Bilsteins 5100 with 884's. Rear: Bilsteins 5100, tsb and AAL.
    I went through the same dilemma not long ago.
    In the end I decided to get the TSB for the simple reason that I would be putting an AAL into a new leaf pack and not a worn saggy one where possibly the AAL would be working harder and cause sag sooner.
    Not sure if that's a logical conclusion or not but it worked in my brain...

12. Dec 7, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    jamesdemien

jamesdemien Member

Member:
    I'm trying to trick the dealer into doing the tsb... unfortunately I just bought the truck 3 weeks ago and it has 41k miles on it...

So my question is similar. If I don't get the TSB is AAL sufficient for a stock ride?

13. Dec 8, 2012 at 4:18 AM
    edavidso

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    I just finished the lift and IMO the ride is great with the AAL and no tsb. It's not stock, but I didn't really like the "stock" ride anyway. Felt too squishy. Ride is not jarring by any means, just slightly firmer. You "feel" the road more.

14. Oct 7, 2013 at 9:02 AM
    Hound83

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD off road 4X4
    Just went to get the TSB installed today because I plan to carry 300+ lbs of gear full time now, except that they changed the TSB and now it includes a front spring. Since I have aftermarket coilovers Toyota (not the dealer) refused to let them install the kit. They said they have to use all the parts supplied and can't do half the kit.

Products Discussed in

To Top