Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

WeatherTech MudFlaps?

Old 01-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #81
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
A parts guy I talked to said the Weathertecs are NOT flexible, they are pretty much just like the OEM's. They sure don't look flexible.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #82
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krob32 View Post
OP pics show the look is okay. DD says they are flexible. Randy made a good point; are they long enough to protect my truck?
If you were referring to me, I said that the Plasticolor flaps I have are very flexible. I've never touched the new WeatherTech flaps, but they don't look to be what I'm after. Probably fine for street use and much more shatter resistant than the POS OEM flaps, though.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #83
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Not a bad idea. I saw some monster rally trucks sporting a rear flap support for similar reasons. Not sure about the durability dragging through a lot of rock, though.
Flip the bracket and notch the flap around the slider
Old 01-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #84
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Flip the bracket and notch the flap around the slider
Good idea.

Something like that, with a really long piece of material, is like the truck I saw. They tied the flap back to let it hang with enough coverage, but not drag on the ground. I'll see if I can find a photo.

Here's one of the trucks. Still looking for a good photo of the front flaps. This shows a different flap configuation.

If you can kind of see what I'm talking about in the profile shots.
http://youtu.be/pQXxnWbJKJk

You could still rip off the flap by pinching it between the slider and rock while dragging over something, but otherwise, that's a lot of flexible coverage.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #85
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
You could also go with something like rally armor. Used them on every Subaru I had.

A good blend between rigid and pliable. They did not get brittle in cold weather, and flexed enough to not do any damage at the attachment points if they hit something.

Rallyarmor.com
Old 01-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #86
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I like the Rally Armor stuff , looks like a great product

and that pic is a Lorry DD
Old 01-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #87
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pra4sno View Post
You could also go with something like rally armor. Used them on every Subaru I had.

A good blend between rigid and pliable. They did not get brittle in cold weather, and flexed enough to not do any damage at the attachment points if they hit something.

Rallyarmor.com
I think they'd work well, as the diminsions are right and they look plenty flexy, but USD$128!

Once I finish swapping bump stops today, I'll finally install the Plasticolors and post something more on them.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #88
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I like the Rally Armor stuff , looks like a great product

and that pic is a Lorry DD
No, it's a monster rally truck! j/k

Actually, it's an IVECO Dakar Rally truck. Simply amazing vehicles, and probably one of the scarier things in the world of Dakar motorcyclists. They should have crash bars around their tanks to cover their balls. Then again, they probably don't need any protection.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #89
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Rally and desert running need flaps. Rock crawling does not. Just remove the flaps completely for crawling.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #90
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Rally and desert running need flaps. Rock crawling does not. Just remove the flaps completely for crawling.
Well, yeah.

There's not any way around that conflict that I know of. I think people are looking for the best flap solution that provides maximum clearance. I was just pointing out some options and pitfalls.

Don't you have to help some studded guy lace up for a winter marathon?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #91
tacomawv
tacomawv is on a distinguished road

Name: Richard
tacomawv's Tacoma Gallery
Quick question for somebody that has installed these.. Do they have a sharp edge like the OEM ones. Got a new truck and dont want my mud flaps to dig into the paint on the fender flare. I have had the husky ones in the past and they have a round edge. I think i like the looks of the weather techs better. I like the squared bottom. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #92
Goof Ball
pra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shedpra4sno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
pra4sno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I think they'd work well, as the diminsions are right and they look plenty flexy, but USD$128!

Once I finish swapping bump stops today, I'll finally install the Plasticolors and post something more on them.

Sounds random, but search NASIOC.com (Subaru forums). There are a bunch of guys making VERY good "knock offs" of the rally armor product. I think they found the same material and are producing them for the forum. No patents on that kind of stuff, so its all legal.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #93
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pra4sno View Post
Sounds random, but search NASIOC.com (Subaru forums). There are a bunch of guys making VERY good "knock offs" of the rally armor product. I think they found the same material and are producing them for the forum. No patents on that kind of stuff, so its all legal.
I visited there a few times in my Subie days. I'm not surprised that someone decided to undercut Rally Armor. It's just sheet material, after all.

I installed my Plasticolor flaps and I think they're perfect for our trucks. I'll post photos later, but the length & width of the flaps seems right, and they're very flexible at 10° F. I used the OEMs for a template, but that didn't go as well as I'd hoped. It was too crowded in my garage for me to eyeball the fitment, and I stupidly didn't think to use a level, so they aren't perfectly level because I didn't allow for the curve of the OEMs when I transferred the hole pattern. I can fix it later, so I'm not too concerned about it, and they work fine as they are.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #94
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
. . . Sub'd
Old 03-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #95
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyface View Post
A parts guy I talked to said the Weathertecs are NOT flexible, they are pretty much just like the OEM's. They sure don't look flexible.
just installed weathertech on the front...they do flex but are stiff

I yanked on both of them and bent them back and upward and they
will bend and not rip out, this at 50 deg F I don't dare bend them at 32F
Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #96
jjloco is on a distinguished road
Name: John
jjloco's Tacoma Gallery
I installed a set of these today on my 08. Very quick and easy. You'll need new nylon fasteners, as the originals break when you take them out. But then again, it was about 35 degrees here in Boston today when I did it. I hunted high and low online for fasteners. Someone here mentioned clipsandfasteners.com. They definitely have the best deal on fasteners. $14 for a box of 15 including shipping

Someone mentioned that these do not match up exactly to the flares on the visible side. This is true, you can see a line where the OEM flaps were on the flares. I have some touch up paint that ill apply once it warms up here in New England.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #97
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
Bump this up. For those of you guys that have them, how do you like em so far? I am thinking about getting a set.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #98
jjloco is on a distinguished road
Name: John
jjloco's Tacoma Gallery
Had them on for about 2 weeks now. I like them a lot. Perfect fit for the front ones. (I only did the fronts.) Only draw back is the marks on the fender flares from the oem's. Barely noticeable on my 08 with painted flares, but its there. Maybe not be so noticeable on the black unpainted ones. I have 90 k miles though. Shop around for the nylon fasteners. You"ll need them.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #99
fmb is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: Retired Canadian Army/Captain in Fire Service
fmb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Unfortunately short flaps aren't effective. Too far from the pavement and they simply don't catch the road spray. I ended up doing this to my Huskyliners:

Installed the front Husky flaps a month ago...great construction and super fit, but gotta agree that they are too short. Mud and stone chips (most of my driving is on gravel) along the door sills and bottom of rear fender flares where there never has been with the OEM units. I wish I had seen this before I got them...probably would have gone with factory. I plow with my truck as well and never had a real issue until the passenger side one finally wore out and tore... as far as I'm concerned these are a constant wear/disposable item.
The pic shows a creative solution...might give it a go.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:16 PM   #100
pmosin is on a distinguished road
pmosin's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for posting this. Sub'd for future. Ordered my WeatherTech front flaps today, as my passenger side one broke off this weekend...$42 (incl shipping) beats OEM in my book.