Notices

2013 Proís & Conís Before Buying

Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
kwanjangnihm will become famous soon enough

Name: Jeff
kwanjangnihm's Tacoma Gallery
Question 2013 Proís & Conís Before Buying

Guys,
Need some input on a new 2013 Tacoma. Going to be doing a lot of highway driving for my job, plus driving to a hunting lease 5 or 6 times a year (1000 miles round trip).
I really wanted to go with an I4 2.7 DC Prerunner TRD Long Bed, but not an option for long bed.
I really like the long bed!!
So my next option would be a I4 DC Prerunner short bed or a V6 in a long bed with TRD sport package.
Guess my questions are this:
1. With the I4 Ė what is the best transmission to go with for optimum fuel mileage?
2. With the V6 - what is the best transmission to go with for optimum fuel mileage?
3. One salesperson I spoke to stated the autos get better fuel mileage now, is this true?
4. I would think with a 5 speed auto or a 6 speed manual, the manual would outperform the auto?
The only thing I will be towing is a 5x10 trailer with a Polaris 700 with misc goodies.
Any input would be great guys. If I missed something please ask me about it.
Jeff
Note: Been driving a 04 tundra for 9 years now - awesome truck - mileage stinks at 17 on a good day - ready for a Tacoma!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Deercamp has a spectacular aura aboutDeercamp has a spectacular aura about

Law Enforcement: Investigator
Name: Doug
Deercamp's Tacoma Gallery
2013 TRD Double Cab Long Bed

I too would have ordered the Prerunner if it came in Dbl Cab LB; so I opted for the 2013 TRD Sport Package Dbl Cab LB (automatic)- This rig is about a foot shorter than my 2004 Sierra Extended cab Z71. The long bed will accommodate my wood splitter (a major consideration) as well as the camp gear/supplies I often take to camp. I doubt mileage will vary much between the MT and AT so I wouldn't base my decision on mileage. After 50+ years of driving, I've been spoiled by ATs and based on my needs, don't have any compelling reasons to revert back to manual.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
SPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant futureSPENCAF has a brilliant future

Air Force: HQ AMC Port Dawg
Name: Jason
SPENCAF's Tacoma Gallery
If your looking for something that is good on gas, keep looking. If I were you I wouldn't oppt for the I4.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
GoHuskers is on a distinguished road
GoHuskers's Tacoma Gallery
I have a TRD Sport DCLB V6 Prerunner and it drives really nice. After 1200 miles with 30/70 City/Hiway I average about 18.9 mpg (based on Fuelly.com). It is colder here so I guess you can do better in FL.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
Test drive them both. I think you'll find the I4 lacking, especially coming from a Tundra.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
The Tacoma with the V6 will be comparable gas mileage wise to your Tundra. You would regret getting the I4.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
taco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
taco206's Tacoma Gallery
You wont get any better MPG with a Tacoma. My 06 6 speed barely gets 17 UNLOADED with 2 people between Seattle and Missoula. Anyone who tells you different is just trying to justify their huge investment into this overpriced truck. Gas mileage goes way down when I tow even the smallest loads. Tacomas are way overpriced, look into get a F-150 with the 3.7L V6 (not the turbo). Better MPG and more power than the Tacoma. And do NOT get a I4, way underpowered for the DC and those big wheels. Good Costco/grocery runner for people who dont care about MPG. Look into getting a 05 or 06 Tundra which has the 5 speed auto and more HP maybe. Better than a Tacoma in every way and does it with regular gas not premium.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)
AeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedAeroCooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
AeroCooper's Tacoma Gallery
^^ My V6 automatic gets just under 22mpg in the summer. In the winter, not so much...it gets around 17 in the colder months. Not trying to justify anything, just the facts.

Now as for power, of course it will never compare to a Ford, and if I was going to be doing a lot of heavy towing, the Tacoma would not be my choice either.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
Assimilated
On An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shedOn An Island is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
On An Island's Tacoma Gallery
I have the '12 TRD Sport DC LB and towing with it is a breeze. We just drove from Eastsound, WA to Houston, TX towing a 3,500 lb trailer (total weight with load). The only times I could tell it was back there was on long, steep uphills. The rest of the time I was pushing 75-80 most of the way and averaged 15-16 mpg.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
ace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedace96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ace96's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco206 View Post
You wont get any better MPG with a Tacoma. My 06 6 speed barely gets 17 UNLOADED with 2 people between Seattle and Missoula. Anyone who tells you different is just trying to justify their huge investment into this overpriced truck. Gas mileage goes way down when I tow even the smallest loads. Tacomas are way overpriced, look into get a F-150 with the 3.7L V6 (not the turbo). Better MPG and more power than the Tacoma. And do NOT get a I4, way underpowered for the DC and those big wheels. Good Costco/grocery runner for people who dont care about MPG. Look into getting a 05 or 06 Tundra which has the 5 speed auto and more HP maybe. Better than a Tacoma in every way and does it with regular gas not premium.
My high average is around 21 mpg on regular. Now that its colder getting around 19.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
ASE Master Tech.
gasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gasgasman's Tacoma Gallery
Cons-Paint scratches easy.
Powertrain VERY unrefined.

Pros-Great ride/handling.
Great audio-Entune w/ Nav
Old 11-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Cons-debt

Pros-awesome truck
Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
kwanjangnihm will become famous soon enough

Name: Jeff
kwanjangnihm's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at an I4 and 24 MPG was a big draw for me! That’s 40% better fuel mileage than my 17 MPG tundra, so yes it was my first choice - plus the 4’s run forever! I ran the stew out of a 84 Nissan KC with 95 HP, so naturally I though a 159 hp taco would be ok. (yes big weight difference between Taco and old school Nissan KC)
So my best choice is the V6!
Next questions concern MPG. I have read up on this forum the best things for optimum fuel mileage.
1. After market high flow air filter.
2. Synthetics front to back
Note: has anyone experimented with low roll resistance tires? I have heard they can improve mileage 1-2 mpg?
Thanks again for everyone’s input!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
taco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
taco206's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroCooper View Post
^^ My V6 automatic gets just under 22mpg in the summer. In the winter, not so much...it gets around 17 in the colder months. Not trying to justify anything, just the facts.

Now as for power, of course it will never compare to a Ford, and if I was going to be doing a lot of heavy towing, the Tacoma would not be my choice either.
The highway rating is 19 and I own the truck so you see why I am a little hesitant to believe that, but who knows. Does a newer 2nd gen have some type of trip computer, because those are notoriously wrong. My brother in law has a 03 4 runner and the actual mileage is 2-4 lower than what the computer is telling him. And as far as power compared to a Ford, a V6 wont be close to the Ford 5.0 350 HP, but its not even close to the 3.7L Ford.