1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me with these dilemmas

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TenBeers, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Nov 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Right now I want NO LIFT. My truck is a daily driver, with vacation use that requires a normal high-clearance 4WD, and stock does that just fine without tweaking all the suspension and driveline angles for a couple of inches of clearance. If I am going to change anything it is going to go all the way, similar to the one in that Guyana guy's thread. That LT expedition build is down the road a bit, though.

Dilemma #1:

Again, right now I just want to keep it stock height, get a camper shell, and carry a decent amount of camping gear, passengers and mountain bikes without riding on the bump stops. The stock OR leafs are not going to cut it. But I don't want it jacked up in the back on daily basis when the only load is the shell.

Are there any leaf options out there that give you close to stock height but the ability to carry more weight? Anyone have just the Dakars with a camper shell? Any pics or measurements unloaded and loaded? If I could do the Dakars with a shell and just have a little bit of rake unloaded I would be happy, but I am not sure if that would be the case, seems like I would have a lot of rake unless I lifted the front as well. I prefer not to go the AAL route and go with a full leaf pack.

Dilemma #2:

While I like the Rugged Fails better than the Dunflops, neither are what I would consider a good tire. I want to go with a BFG AT in 265/75/16 on stock rims. Searching and reading posts, there are some indications that even that slight increase may cause some rubbing. I don't see how, it looks like there would be plenty of room. I don't want to dump a grand on tires that are going to rub, I'd rather just stick to stock size. Will they really rub?

I've been here a long time, and you would think I would know this stuff, but I just haven't been able to come up with these answers. Thanks for any input.

2. Nov 28, 2012 at 9:10 PM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
    Four leaf tsb springs. Or you can get a custom pack built...

5100's all around, front set to stock height (better ride than the wimpy stock shocks)

265/75/16 bfg at/ko will not rub...

/thread

3. Nov 28, 2012 at 9:15 PM
    Tacomaniacal

Tacomaniacal luv gettin in the Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    '01 double cab 3.4 2WD
    Custom grille, 7" Pioneer touchscreen DVD/iPod player, Dunlop Fierce Attitude 265/75/16 M/T
    Dilemma 2: I just put Dunlop fierce attitudes m/ t 265/ 75/16 on 2 days ago and have ripped it off road and on and while they do rub minimally in what appear to be one small area it's not bad. It looks like if I cared enough I cut this 2 inch section of plastic easily with a dremmel in 10 seconds and you wouldn't even be able to tell. Buy the 265/75/16 m/t or a/t of your choice. You'll be fine

4. Nov 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    Tacomaniacal

Tacomaniacal luv gettin in the Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    '01 double cab 3.4 2WD
    Custom grille, 7" Pioneer touchscreen DVD/iPod player, Dunlop Fierce Attitude 265/75/16 M/T
    Btw I have no lift kit and my suspension sags as its an 01 and original if that helps

5. Nov 28, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    09 Pre-Runner
    I have the EZ-550 set on my '09 (http://www.hellwigproducts.com/products/load-control/medium-duty-helper-springs/) and the best thing about these springs is that you don't even know that they are there. They don't have any effect on the ride until the OEM springs start to take a load and they won't change your ride height. Then, they start working. If you think that you'll need more than the 550 set, you can get one of the high-capacity sets.

We've had these on our last two trucks (Dakota and an F-150) and the current Tacoma. Towed a car trailer/car with a 4000lbs total weight from San Diego to the Gold Country east of Sacramento. Truck(s) did great.

Ray

6. Nov 28, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Well, maybe. I got the TSB on my last Taco, and it would probably work. However, I think they updated the 3-leafs for the TRD OR. I can load this one pretty good without it sagging like my previous one did without the TSB, it is noticeably stiffer. But, I don't think it is stiff enough for a shell AND gear, and I would want to be able to load it up a little more. Was hoping for a better aftermarket leaf pack that would do the trick.

Sweet, made sense to me, just wanted to be sure.

:( not yet!

7. Nov 28, 2012 at 9:21 PM
    Smoke2

Smoke2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4X4 LB
    Rear TSB, Firestone Air bags
    Hellwigs helper springs could be used until you decide a better rear suspension setup and I never had any problem with my bfg AT's rubbing

8. Nov 28, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
    I made edits, please see above...

Hellwig helpers are an option...Also forgot to mention air bags, such as Firestone Ride-Rites. Both shouldn't be noticeable until you need them. I'd probably go with bags, if it were me.

I have an '05 off road (in reference to tire size)

9. Nov 28, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    Op, Alcan makes upgraded springs for no lift in the back. They will be your best bet IMO if you just want more hauling capicity.

The dakars provide 2.75 inches of lift in the rear without the extra aal. That will provide you a full 3 inches. If you want no lift, but more capicty, like I said before, call alcan. Deaver may also be able to help you as well

Here is their info. Call them to see what they can do for you

Toll Free: (888) 321-0870
    Local: (970) 241-2655
    Fax: (970) 241-6557
    Email: billford@alcanspring.com

10. Nov 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    I remember seeing these a while back and forgot about them. This sounds like the perfect option for my application, I am just wary of the stock springs getting mushy over time anyway. Thanks, Ray.

11. Nov 28, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    My dad has hellwigs on his 05 taco. I would recommend them. His truck has a shell and just a 3 leaf pack with a 1" block(bought it used this way). His truck handles weight way better than my 4 leaf pack with an aal and mines 6 years newer and has a third the miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top