1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whats a fair dealer profit margin ??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by IdahoTacoTime, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Jan 11, 2013 at 5:52 AM
    IdahoTacoTime

IdahoTacoTime [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Meridian Idaho
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    pending
    Dude... needle dicking me must be your new hobby...

I said dealers dont sell Tacomas under invoice. Never a word about MSRP.. And thats a fact.

But anyway, I have to head off to work and deal with this issue for real.. and we do just fine. You ?? Starting to think your a guy who has a bunch of beers and is an expert on the internet.

2. Jan 11, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    The only way you can truly stand by this statement is if you are either

A) A dealer that owns his/her own dealership

B) A new car sales manager

If you are neither of those then there is no way you can possibly know that a dealer somewhere in the world could possibly sell a Tacoma under the true invoice amount that the dealer purchased the vehicle for.

Oh wait, I thought of an option C

C) You are the dealer's son or you are sleeping with the dealer and/or sales manager.

3. Jan 11, 2013 at 6:05 AM
    Grieby54

Grieby54 Horsebit

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off Road 4x4 DCSB MGM JBL/Entune/Nav
    WeatherTech Digital Liners, ImMrYo rear view mirror bracket, color matched grille, Tacoma door sill protectors, OEM hood protector, clear bra, tint, OEM roof rack, trimmed front mud flaps to match rear clearance, debadged, color matched grille, Plasti Dipped front Toyota emblem, OME 884X coils with trim packer on driver's side, OME Nitro Sport 9000 shocks, Deaver/ToyTec AAL with OME N182 shocks, 265/75/16 Duratracs, ProComp 7032 16" wheels
    I asked for the invoice on my truck. I was shown the invoice and I got it for well under the number on that piece of paper...

4. Jan 11, 2013 at 6:28 AM
    bash42

bash42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCLB TRD OR Super White

haha.....I am actually very well versed in the car business and pricing. You know those little training events (ride and drive) you guys go to to learn how to sell the new products? Yea i did that for 5 years and sold cars for 3. Also not to mention all of the cars I have purchased from dealers 15+ and I am only 29.

But yes I do have a really good fulltime job in the automotive business ;)

In all reality, I know exactly why you feel the way you do about pricing etc. It's not your fault that they beat it into your head every single day. You're a smart guy and once you see the light about what is going and the manipulation they are pulling, you will leave the business.

Take a read of these -

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confessions-of-a-car-salesman.html

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confessions-of-a-car-salesman-updated-for-2009.html

5. Jan 11, 2013 at 6:34 AM
    IdahoTacoTime

IdahoTacoTime [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Meridian Idaho
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport
    pending

Really ??? that was pretty outstanding how you came up with that.

The WWW.. Where people sit behind computers and talk a lot of shit....

Was a pretty interesting and thought provoking thread until this last page.
    Anyway, enjoy your truck. Douche....

6. Jan 11, 2013 at 6:44 AM
    miniceptor86

miniceptor86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    McGregor,IA
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue Prerunner Dbl cab
    TRD sport exhaust and cold air intake, nerf and bull bar, RideRide, ProEFX towing mirrors, BakFlip F1 trifold tonneau
    Those Edmunds articles are great! I read them after being shabbily treated at the Dubuque Iowa Hyundai dealer. They pulled all of the tricks adding a little twist of there own. After leaving the lot with the sales person driving because of "insurance restrictions" I was allowed to drive from the fair grounds back to the dealership's other store a mile or so away from my vehicle (the twist) to be closer to the sales manager, left to wait for about 45 minutes only to be told by the sales manager sitting on his elevated platform, alternately busily punching numbers on the adding machine and looking at the computer screen, that they could no longer find the vehicle that they priced to me.

Why do I have a bad taste for car buying?

Root Canal yes at least I know that the outcome will be good.

Jim

7. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:06 AM
    celec

celec Well-Known Member

Member:
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport MGM
    I just purchased a 2013 double cab TRD Sport with Entune. I paid $30500 otd. I visited 7 dealership over a weekend and asked for a written quote on each one of them. I got in an argument with a sales guy from one of them because I also bought a Corolla and he said I was crazy, that I wouldnt be able to get the Corolla for $17000 otd. I then went to the dealership I got that deal, bought the corolla for that price after trading my 2010 double cab SR5 and called the GM of the previous dealership to show them why they lost a sale and a customer. Next monday everyone called from that dealership and wanted to do anything to get me to buy the 13 Taco I was also looking for, I told them to send me an e-mail with $30500 otd and they did. Took it to the other dealer and he matched it, truck was ordered.

My buddy heard about it and we went to get another tacoma, dealer was not willing to match my price but he got a deal for a 2013 double cab TRD Sport for $27100 before TTL.

Somehow I do not think that they are losing any money, they may not make a lot, but surely not losing. Also they make a killing on parts and service so.

8. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:17 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    You know I wonder something..does Toyota charge the same to each dealer for the same vehicle?

9. Jan 11, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    bash42

bash42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCLB TRD OR Super White

all he knows about the pricing is what his handlers (aka managers) feed him. And rightfully so. If he starts believeing that people are buying trucks cheaper, then he is effectively worthless to his bosses.

10. Nov 1, 2017 at 8:33 PM
    Stefan_Ray

Stefan_Ray Tacoma TRD Life

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Concord,North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro
    Cooper STT Pro’s
    Just thought I would add this in the discussion....

B77E2F92-8DD4-4B0A-9563-027611A635C2.jpg

theredofshaw likes this.
  11. Nov 1, 2017 at 9:03 PM
    DANGERMONEY

DANGERMONEY Well-Known Member

Member:

Stefan_Ray likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top