1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Auto Transmission Problems...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Daffy, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Nov 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM
    Daffy

Daffy [OP] Member

Member:
    Collegeville, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD Sport
    Hi all.

I've got a 2010 Sport with and auto trans. It's got about 22,000 miles on it and I'm starting to have a weird problem.

I bought it used with 20,000 miles on it and it's my first winter with it and I'm pretty sure it's temperature related. When it's cold in the mornings and I pull out of my driveway, I accelerate pretty slowly up my street which is a slight incline. When I'm just about at speed (35-40mph), it shifts into 4th or 5th (sorry, it's early) and it's almost like it misses a gear. The revs shoot up for a second and then it settles into gear.

It only does this once in the morning so I know it will be close to impossible to convince the dealer something is wrong.

Has anyone else heard of this issue? Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Nov 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    Nixinus

Nixinus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    Try driving it in 4th until it warms up. My 2010 sport always "hunts" between OD and 5 when on any incline, mostly because I am light on the throttle so it has a hard time figuring out what gear it wants to be in.

On a related note, the transmission on my 2010 sport is the reason I recently picked up a platinum extended warranty. Seems a bit rougher now that it has been broken in. Check THIS thread out for more details.

3. Nov 29, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    Daffy

Daffy [OP] Member

Member:
    Collegeville, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD Sport
    Thanks, but this is definitely not 'hunting'. That's a whole other issue I have with this truck.

It's like it hits neutral and the revs shoot up. Fortunately, like I said, I'm just about at speed and already letting off the gas when it happens so it's not like it's hitting 4k rpms. It might only jump 500 or so (just guessing). I don't even know if it will do it under heavier acceleration. I'll have to try.

My worry is that it will slowly get worse and worse until my warranty is out...

4. Nov 29, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    Nixinus

Nixinus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    Just got a 100k mile warranty for $800 from the link I posted earlier.

5. Nov 29, 2012 at 11:24 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    That's about the speed that the torque converter locks up in D

6. Nov 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    contact the dealer and schedule a time where you can drop it off one evening and have the tech drive it in the morning when it occurs most often. Give the advisor as much detailed information on how it can be duplicated. MOST dealerships understand that some failures only happen cold, or first thing after sitting overnight.

7. Nov 29, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Sounds like not enough fluid. If you on warranty ask dealer to check level. If you dont have warranty try adding unce to transmission and see if it fixes it or atleast gets better. Previous owner may have pulled Krazie on that truck

8. Nov 29, 2012 at 4:18 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Mine does the same on long hills that I accelerate up. It will hang in 4th for a while, then when it finally decides to go in OD, it doesn't do it gently. I did a few drain and fills on the trans, and it got better, but it's been about 30k miles since I did that and it's starting to do it again. Would never do it for the dealership, so they didn't do anything about it. I imagine the cross between the lugging in OD around 40-45 mph and the hard shift accelerating up a hill will eventually cause some damage, so you just have to learn to adjust to your truck with all it's little quirks.

9. Nov 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Personally, I'd replace the TCC solenoid in the tranny when I change out the fluid to a synthetic.

10. Nov 29, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Elaborate?

11. Nov 29, 2012 at 7:23 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I've had them wear out (or are just crappy from the get go) and stick open or closed (I think they allow the tranny to downshift when the brakes are applied- or won't if they are F'd) It just seems cheap enough to replace since you're in there to change the fluid and filter, anyway. I don't know.

12. Nov 30, 2012 at 7:01 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    The TCC solenoid has one purpose only: To lock up or unlock the torque converter. It has no control over the transmission shifting.

13. Nov 30, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    Keep it out of OD until doing 55mph.

14. Nov 30, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    This works for the lugging in OD in the 40-45mph range, but not for the hard shift from 4-OD going up an incline around 50-60mph

Products Discussed in

To Top