1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Upgrade to 4X4?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacogirl2, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Dec 2, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    tacogirl2

tacogirl2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD sport
    Hey guys I'm new to this website so bear with me.
    I bought my 1st Tacoma this weekend (not all that new to the whole Toyota thing, my dad's always owned them and swears by them)
    Anyways, I have been away at school but wanted a truck for when I graduate and go back home. I mainly needed one for hauling my fishing boat, getting firewood, getting through snow etc, etc. so naturally I was looking at 4X4's. I came across a good deal on a 05 Toyota PreRunner SR5 double cab that my buddy's dad was selling so I took it, maybe too impulsively??

It really is a beautiful truck, but I'm still not thrilled with the fact that it's 2X4. I really like to do off-roading stuff but thought maybe the mileage would be better and it would work fine to serve my needs.

I was wondering if anyone out there has owned both a 2X4 and a 4X4 or is familiar enough with both that they could tell me if the 2X4 are even remotely as capable as 4X4? My thought was that since it was a V6 it would still get a significant amount of power, but now I'm really thinking I should have held off and waited for a 4x4 to come along?

Any thoughts? Should I stick with the 2X4?

2. Dec 2, 2012 at 12:01 PM
    JCBigler

JCBigler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chouteau, OK
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 4WD, SR5, DC, TRD OR w/tow
    stock, Yaesu FT-8800R with a Maldol EX-107B, rear breather mod
    Buy once, cry once. If you wanted a 4WD, then you should have gotten a 4WD. Converting to 2WD to 4WD after the fact is probably prohibitively expensive.

oh, and what's up with your user name? Tacogirl2? But your gender is listed as male? Edit: never mind

Welcome to TW, btw.

3. Dec 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Lucky for you resale value is good on your new truck :thumbsup: trade up if you need it I guess

4. Dec 2, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    Utard

Utard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Nyssa, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC LB 4WD TRD SPORT NAVI
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Stabilus.EZDown.Tailgate http://www.ezdown.com/home.php ----------------------------------------------- Tekonsha.Primus.IQ.Trailer.brake http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx---------------------------------------------------------------- Leer 180 CC http://www.leer.com/Truck-Caps#------------------------------------------------ Firestone Air Rite Air Bags--------------------------------------Kargomaster Rack
    If you put a locker in it that should help you get just about anywhere.

But if you are into deep mud, rock crawling, really steep dirt hills, really deep snow or really soft sand then it might not be enough.

The good thing is if you got a really good deal on it you could sell it for more than you got it for?

But you would be surprised what a locker can get you through.

5. Dec 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    Ugly Betty

Ugly Betty Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    TX
    Vehicle:
    85 extra cab on propane
    1985 ex cab, 92 toyota pickup, 95 4runner
    def need 4wd. i lost my 4wd the other weekend and was getting nowhere with just the rear locker

6. Dec 2, 2012 at 12:35 PM
    VanCity4x

VanCity4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    AB
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    3link on tons
    Im in canada, own a Prerunner TRD OR. Didnt think I needed a 4x4 and didnt unitl I got into offroading. Prerunner does great hauling anything, flat gravel and dirt roads and even snow i havent had a problem.

In mud, deep snow, or any wet/loose gravel slopes, hardcore offroading that we have here, Need to get a 4x4. Im trying to upgrade at the moment, going to be at least $6k+ for a stock dcsb with 40k more miles and selling mine the way it is.

BTW Welcome to TW

7. Dec 2, 2012 at 12:37 PM
    bash42

bash42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCLB TRD OR Super White
    If you got such a good deal, you should be able to sell for a profit and get your 4x4 ;)

8. Dec 2, 2012 at 12:40 PM
    pinnerr

pinnerr Active Member

Member:
    central florida
    Vehicle:
    4x4 off road pkg, tow pkg
    k&d drop in filter, running boards, tinted windows
    I had a 2wd 2009 Trd sport long bed and it was a great truck, but I always knew 4wd was the way to go. So 3 years later I traded for 2012 Trd off road 4x4 and couldn't be happier this truck goes places I would never even consider on previous truck. If you can I say go for it.

9. Dec 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    First off, welcome to TW!

Coming from a guy that drove a PreRunner for a while after having all 4x4 trucks...don't drive something you aren't 100% happy with.

I went 4x4 this time, with nearly every other truck on the road around me being a PreRunner and I couldn't be happier. I could have saved several grand going with a 2WD/PreRunner but it was 100% worth it for me to have 4x4. Maybe I've watched too many episodes of The Walking Dead and want to be sure I can get the hell out of Dodge if something happens?

As others have said, your truck should still have great resale value. If you have a CarMax near you, have them appraise it. They've always been good to me.

Fink

10. Dec 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    Give it 6 months and see if it works for you, if not sell and go for 4wd.

11. Dec 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM
    tacogirl2

tacogirl2 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD sport
    Thanks everyone! I know in the end it's something I have to decide for myself but I appreciate the input. I think I'll go ahead and stick with it at least for another few months until I finish school. Maybe test 'er out on the roads back home and start thinking about looking for a 4X4 depending on how well it hauls the boat on some steep roads. I'm pretty sure if it came down to it, I could sell it for a little more than I paid.

Anyone have any more insight on how it might handle in the snow?

12. Dec 2, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    4x4 is awesome

13. Dec 2, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    I was a firefighter back home and when I wasn't at the paid FD, I was volunteering and would usually use my Tacoma ('07 TRD Sport at the time) to respond. It was 4WD but I would usually run in 2WD until I absolutely needed it.

Even with 6-8" of snow on the road with another inch or so packed on top, as long as you were smart about how you drove, it was easily passable. Chains were also a HUGE help even with 4WD.

In my experience, 4WD gives people too much courage. Just like carrying a concealed gun...people get way too cocky. You have to keep your head on straight and be smart. As long as you do that, you will be fine. :thumbsup:

Fink

14. Dec 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    DING0

DING0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '12 Prerunner Tow Pkg
    Blanket in the back for the dog.
    I had a 4wd truck Before I bought my 2012 AC PreRunner. The reason I did not get a 4wd this time is because I cause a lot of expensive damage to my old truck. I don't even want to be tempted. I would rather save up money and buy an old toyota beater than beat on my Daily Driver that I may not be able to afford to repair. Just my .02

Also my old truck I NEVER need 4wd, unless I made it so....

15. Dec 2, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    Prior to my Tacoma I had an older 4wd Toyota Pickup and I found the 4WD to be super helpful. I don't know if you live in an area that regularly sees snow/ice, but that's where I found the 4WD to be most helpful. There were a few times leaving my apartment complex that I was on ice on the drive wheels, so unless I put it into 4WD, I was going nowhere. Granted, I was on Uniroyal Laredos at the time and had no weight over the back wheels, but it was still frustrating trying to drive out onto the main road with no forward momentum.

I also took it down to the Cape onto the beach and found myself hopelessly stuck in the sand (bumper was on the ground!) because my good natured but non-gearhead friend didn't understand how to properly lock the front hub and I was only in 2WD.

That being said, if you don't think you'll regularly be in situations that you'll require the 4WD and just like the look of the 4WD truck compared to the 2WD truck, I think you'd be fine.

16. Dec 2, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    Workman

Workman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 access cab, off road, V6
    Not so good, in Workman's opinion. One of the worst trucks in 2wd on snow/ice that He has ever driven. Where Workman lives it is below zero pretty often during the winter months with HEAVY snowfall. The plastic bed is very light and causes the pass. side rear tire to spin out very easily. Weight in the bed, around 200# make it a little better. 4x4 makes a night and day difference. With 4wheeldrive the truck performs great, even better with weight in the bed.

ABS on this truck is absolutely the worst on any vehicle Workman has owned when it comes to ice, but that is another story, downright dangerous and very touchy......did he mention dangerous?:cool:

Workman still loves his tacoma, and its stock 4wheeldrive capabilities are awesome!

17. Dec 2, 2012 at 2:57 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Why not put it for sale for a profit and keep an eye out for a 4x4 for sale. If both work out you're moving on up, if not, well, be happy with this one until it does.

18. Dec 2, 2012 at 4:15 PM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    Does Workman often refer to himself in the third person?

Fink

19. Dec 2, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    bash42

bash42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    '22 DCLB TRD OR Super White
    X2 WTF!

:smack::smack:

20. Dec 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    I wouldn't get anything but a 4x4. Not been without it since I had an accident on snowy roads 25 years ago. Use 2-wheel drive most of the time, but it's there when needed.

Products Discussed in

To Top