Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

WHEELS: 17" Tacoma TRD vs 17" FJ Cruiser

Old 12-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
WHEELS: 17" Tacoma TRD vs 17" FJ Cruiser

Hello Forum,

I know that they are both 17 x 7.5 but what are their offsets? I have read that they are 15mm, that they are 30mm but there seems to be no consistency in the info. Also, what is the back spacing on them?

I'm leaning more towards the 17" TRD Tacoma wheels because they have an outer lip which allows them to balance better since you can clip weights there. Those of you with the FJ Cruiser wheels, do you have any balancing issues with them?

Any info & pics will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Damn! That was easy. And what even worse is that I saw this page about 2 months ago & COMPLETELY forgot about it. I will save this page.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
CRONKED TaCo is on a distinguished road
Name: Robbie
CRONKED TaCo's Tacoma Gallery
Hey man I ran into the same problem and the fj17's are the same everything as the fj16's. the fj17 don't have the outside lip but they can be balanced with stick weights very nicely. But you can static balance them before you use the stick weights to see if they balance out we'll. I have the fj 17's and they stick out perfectly on the tacoma to not throw crap on the side of the truck.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #6

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
CRONKED TaCo, That is exactly the info that I was hoping to hear.

BTW, Do you have any pics?

Also, what tire size are you running?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
CRONKED TaCo is on a distinguished road
Name: Robbie
CRONKED TaCo's Tacoma Gallery
I can load some tomorrow but I'm running 275 70 17 cooper at/3's because they will still rub the cab mount if you go any bigger. I would deffenately recommend these rims to you they give the tacoma a lot more stability than the tacoma 17's.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #9

TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Hello CRONKED TaCo,

Sorry for the delay but I work long hours sometimes. These are the pics that you sent for me to post.

Those wheels look AWESOME on your truck! I like the fact that it's silver like my truck so I can really get an idea of how they look on there. I bought my truck on January 03, 2012 & it came with the OEM 16x7 steel wheels with chrome skins & P265/70r16 Generals. In May, I purchased 4 BFG A/T's 265/75r16's:

I like them but I like the 17" FJ's better. I purchased 4 Moto Metal 16x8's & took them off 2 days later (luckily, I sold them for what I paid) because I wasn't satisfied with them. I can see that the FJ's will sit "just right" on the truck. Maybe next year during tax season I'll get the FJ's & sell my set-up.

Thank you for sending me the pics.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
ManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
I've been running the FJ17s for 40k mi and have never had an issue getting them balanced

I love the look on them!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #12
ManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
Kumho KL61 in 245/70/17

I don't wheel any and didn't want the mpg loss of larger tires. I have been insanely happy with this tire though!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #14

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
I've used all the big name brands on a variety of vehicles a d the Kumhos do just as well. I'm impressed enough with the KL61s that I bought the 4X all seasons for my car and they've been fantastic so far too... Far better than the Conti's that were on it
Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
Dudeguesswhat is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
Dudeguesswhat's Tacoma Gallery
LOVE these wheels. I recommend powder coating them. Here's mine:
Old 12-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
Dudeguesswhat is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
Dudeguesswhat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC1 View Post
That looks good also! What tires are you running with those Dudeguesswhat?

285/70/17 toyo ATs
Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
Loves Sammiches.
J Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ Rod is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 25B - IT
Name: Jared
J Rod's Tacoma Gallery
You could always just buy my wheels and throw some Duratracs and spacers on them
Old 12-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #20
1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed1bad10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
1bad10tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I have been running the 17"FJs and really like them. No problems so far running 265/70/17s