Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Has anyone tinted 09 taillamps?

Old 01-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
Sideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really nice

Sideways's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone tinted 09 taillamps?

Has anyone tinted their OEM 09 taillamps?
If so, can you post a picture?

I am toying around with the idea of getting a set and tinting them.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
S!LVERT4COM4 is on a distinguished road
S!LVERT4COM4's Tacoma Gallery
I have tinted my 09 taillights. I think it came out pretty well. It was the first time I had done this. As a perfectionist it looks a little "amateur" close up, but from a distance it is exactly what I was going for. I have a ton of pictures, but it turns out that I am not the best (or even a decent) photographer. Here is an example:

My hope is that I will find the time to do a write up on it, and all my other modifications, but I simply haven't done it yet. The LED as well as the third brake lights shine through just fine (I did 3 coats of VHT Nite Shades). Good luck.

[as it turns out I've been lurking on these forums for a while, but this is my second post and I don't really know what I'm doing yet, so if I've posted too large a picture or done something glaringly wrong, please let me know]
Old 01-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Sideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really niceSideways is just really nice

Sideways's Tacoma Gallery
All of the tints look good!
Silver, I have an 05 version of the same truck.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
Let it snow!
OhioTaco will become famous soon enough

OhioTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S!LVERT4COM4 View Post
The LED as well as the third brake lights shine through just fine (I did 3 coats of VHT Nite Shades). Good luck.

Did you do the 3 coats on the inside or the out side of the plastic tail light cover? Thank you much!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06BLUEDBLSPORT View Post

This is jhodge83's truck
thanks...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniór taco View Post
Nice color. never seen it on the road.is not custom is it?
its timberland mica....new to the 09's
Old 01-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #8
S!LVERT4COM4 is on a distinguished road
S!LVERT4COM4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioTaco View Post
Did you do the 3 coats on the inside or the out side of the plastic tail light cover? Thank you much!
On the outside of the taillight. From all of the reading I did, it sounded like you pretty much had to because you can't "bake" the tails to open them like you can the headlights. I could be wrong, but I just did the outside.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
jmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmed99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jmed99's Tacoma Gallery
That's not the look for me but I love the flag you have in the bed....Goooo Tigers!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S!LVERT4COM4 View Post
On the outside of the taillight. From all of the reading I did, it sounded like you pretty much had to because you can't "bake" the tails to open them like you can the headlights. I could be wrong, but I just did the outside.
You're correct. You'll break the lens if you try to open them up a la BHLM...
Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #11
JAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shedJAG is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JAG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
You're correct. You'll break the lens if you try to open them up a la BHLM...
I am guessing someone learned the hard way?!?!
Old 01-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #13
RC51 is on a distinguished road

Name: mike
RC51's Tacoma Gallery
Can I get the tint ( nite shades ) in a auto parts place?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:28 PM   #14
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I've never seen it there before... I ordered mine from Jegs.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #15
RC51 is on a distinguished road

Name: mike
RC51's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, thanks.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:12 AM   #16
Mayor of TW

This time, I think I'll use Pactra Racing Finish Window Tint for my tails.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #17
Let it snow!
OhioTaco will become famous soon enough

OhioTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you! You just saved me from having to buy a new tail light!
Old 01-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #18
tnt136913 is on a distinguished road
tnt136913's Tacoma Gallery
tint lights

have any of yall had any problems with the cops . driving at night
Old 01-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #19
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt136913 View Post
have any of yall had any problems with the cops . driving at night
i havent...even w/ my completely blacked out ones i had on the 07. definately no worries on the 09's b/c the LED's are bright as hell
Old 01-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #20
Mayor of TW

Cops won't really be able to tell at night... theoretically, you'd have more problems during the day...