1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Painting/plasti dip bumpers and grille/mirrors before dealer applies protected coat?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by QuackNSmack, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Dec 2, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    QuackNSmack

QuackNSmack [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4
    Alright, here is the deal. Bought a '13 double cab with the off-road package last week. I got suckered into adding the "resistall" protective coating for the exterior and interior. Truck is super white with chrome emblems, rear bumper and trim. Also black mirror housing. I'm going for the black on white look and absolutely no chrome (can't stand it, but will admit it looks good if done right). I'm wanting to paint the bumper, trim and mirrors white, and do the emblems black, all with plasti dip. Should I do all this before I get the protective coating applied, or have dealer apply coating, then paint what I want. Here is how I'm seeing it... If I paint before, the protective coat will help hold the plasti dip and resist chips a little better, but if I want to pull it off, I can't cuz it will peel the coating off as well. What's everyone's thoughts and experiences with this?

2. Dec 2, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    If you REALLY want to black out/color-match everything, I'd say go ahead ahead and get some high quality paint and properly prep the pieces and paint them up. That way you didn't waste whatever it costs on the protection if the plasti-dip goes awry for whatever reason, and you don't waste the money you spent on protection just to paint over it.

And of course the good paint job you do on the pieces will be protected since it would just be spray paint that is susceptible to chipping more-so without the protective coat/film.

3. Dec 2, 2012 at 9:16 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    skip the protect coating.

have the dealer paint the grill...bumper & mirrors.

4. Dec 2, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    StormTrooperTaco

StormTrooperTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2013 Taco TRD Sport DCSB
    Plasti Dip Wheels GY Duratracs 20% Tint all around
    I would trade the resistall coating for a good 3M Clearbraw kit and install, then plasti dip all that other stuff yourself.

5. Dec 2, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    QuackNSmack

QuackNSmack [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Orange County, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4
    It's already been paid for. I think I'm just gunna get the coat done and do the stuff after. That way I can remove if not how I want it and the coat is still there.

6. Dec 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM
    00YotaComa

00YotaComa HAWAII SELLS MORE TACOMAS THAN ANY OTHER STATE!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Big Island, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    1in. leveling kit, Deck plate mod, grey wire mod, K&N Filter , custom paint, Cyron LED lighting, head and tail blackouts
    i wanna freshen up my front bumper but nothing sticks to that abs plastic. would plasti dip last or someway to bring the bumper back to life....anyone? thnx!! and also the fiberglass fender flares..

Products Discussed in

To Top