Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Inverter anytime (stock)

Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
aw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to behold
aw113sgte's Tacoma Gallery
Inverter anytime (stock)

I just modified the stock inverter so I can use it when the key is not in the ignition.

It's pretty simple and just involves cutting the switched +12v wires in the switch (two of them) and relay (one), then connecting "always on" wires in place. You also need to send 12V to the clutch input on the inverter and cut the speed sensor wire on it.

Measured current draw from the battery and it doesn't increase with the mod.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
nice writeup
hahaha
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nut View Post
nice writeup
Old 12-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
aw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to beholdaw113sgte is a splendid one to behold
Hehe, I thought I may get that response. I was in a hurry so no pictures, I more posted this up to answer questions if people actually wanted to do it. I do have a modified wiring diagram I could put up.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Swab
LBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant future

Name: Winter
LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw113sgte View Post
Hehe, I thought I may get that response. I was in a hurry so no pictures, I more posted this up to answer questions if people actually wanted to do it. I do have a modified wiring diagram I could put up.
please do. I am interested in this mod for sure. Does this allow it to run when the truck is off? or is it to have it run at 400wats whenever you want?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
Mid Traveling
12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed12TRDTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: MP
Name: Roberto
12TRDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
You guys are wiggin out. I can do the inverter on anytime mod without the car on too, except mine is stock, it even did it before I modified it to use the 400W all the time mod (don't confuse the one I mentioned for the mod OP did).

All I have to do to achieve that is put the key right between accessory and ignition on position, inverter turns on and the blower motor also works.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:13 AM   #12
CtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
CtTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The stock inveter will shut down once the batt voltage drops a little below 12volts. I have been wanting to do this mod for a while, just haven't gotten around to it yet. for anyone who's questioning how long you can run the inverter on the stock set up, I have run a fan and a soldering iron on it with the ignition on and it ran for about four and a half hours before the inverter shut off and I was still able to start the truck. Write up would be awesome, but even just posting up the wires you tied into would be great...
Old 12-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
Swab
LBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant future

Name: Winter
LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12TRDTacoma View Post
You guys are wiggin out. I can do the inverter on anytime mod without the car on too, except mine is stock, it even did it before I modified it to use the 400W all the time mod (don't confuse the one I mentioned for the mod OP did).

All I have to do to achieve that is put the key right between accessory and ignition on position, inverter turns on and the blower motor also works.
Id like to turn my invertor in without the key in the ignition...
Old 12-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
partsdude is on a distinguished road

partsdude's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw113sgte View Post
I just modified the stock inverter so I can use it when the key is not in the ignition.

It's pretty simple and just involves cutting the switched +12v wires in the switch (two of them) and relay (one), then connecting "always on" wires in place. You also need to send 12V to the clutch input on the inverter and cut the speed sensor wire on it.

Measured current draw from the battery and it doesn't increase with the mod.
come on dude, show us how you did the mod. Please
sub
Old 12-05-2012, 04:22 AM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsdude View Post
come on dude, show us how you did the mod. Please
sub
On travel right now, I'll post up the wiring changes I made in a couple days. It's quite easy, most time consuming part is removing the dash panels.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #17
partsdude is on a distinguished road

partsdude's Tacoma Gallery
Nice, Thanks
Old 12-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #18
Policy Ninja
tango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
tango down's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12TRDTacoma View Post

nice write up , PIcs?
Old 12-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #20
ibjames is on a distinguished road
ibjames's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if there is a way to tap into it and put a plugin port into the dash, anyone done that?