1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ugghh... 0-2 on Upgrades (Nfab SS and Wet Okole)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fletch97, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Dec 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I'll throw this out there for you to consider also, could be they were completely counterfeit fakes. My wife recently bought a Lifeproof case for her iphone from Amazon and had an issue with it. I called Lifeproof and asked them for a return and they asked for the serial # on the case and when I read it to them they told me there was no way that was an actual Lifeproof case and recommended I contact amazon and tell them it was a fake.

Second fake thing I've bought from amazon was a battery for my android phone, said it was an actual legit Samsung battery but when I got it realized it was a phony. Amazon can have good deals but a lot of low life people have started selling fake shit now, so you need to be careful.

2. Dec 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You can't see the pics ?

3. Dec 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Yours have this number on them OP ?

[​IMG]

4. Dec 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Looks to me like the worst rust spots are at or near the welds.

5. Dec 4, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I agree , but it also looks like the surface is contaminated , no ?

6. Dec 4, 2012 at 7:59 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    It may be due to simply road grime and salt. Anyway, surface rust on stainless steel is considered a non-issue if the rust can be readily removed with a scotchbrite pad.

To the OP: have you tried to see if a magnet will stick? It shouldn't.

7. Dec 5, 2012 at 5:46 AM
    fletch97

fletch97 [OP] Professional Window Licker

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    I don't recall seeing a number like that, but I will check when I remove them this weekend.

8. Dec 5, 2012 at 5:47 AM
    fletch97

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    I haven't tried a magnet, but I will try and let you know.

9. Dec 5, 2012 at 5:48 AM
    fletch97

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    Actually the worst is on the steps and the brackets!

10. Dec 13, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    fletch97

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5
    UPDATE

OK Guys...so for those of you that care, here is the latest info....

Amazon handled the return of the Nfab's wonderfully! I got my money refunded to my credit card within a few days of shipping them back. They took care of everything and it was painless. The worst was the time it took me to take them off and then build a box big enough to ship them in. (Building the stupid box actually took a few hours! Ughh..) Anyway, hats off to Amazon and their return procedures/policies!

I had e-mailed Nfab directly and sent them pictures of which I was told they would be sent to the owner for his/her review. I e-mailed them on Sunday and asked for any feedback but have yet to hear back from them. They've had the pictures for awhile now, not impressed with them. Their lack of communication/feedback on their product doesn't sit well with me. And their lack to sell me another at a reduced rate or make any offer was distasteful in my opinion. I know many on this board love their Nfab's and it's been a great relationship, but that's not what I am seeing in my situation.

Needless to say, I ordered the Stainless Steel Go Rhino Dominator II's from AutoAnything. Autoanything matched a compeitiors lower price without hesitation and they showed up at my door a few days ago. I have yet to install them due to lack of time, but I did open the box and am very impressed with the quality. They definitely seem like they are made better, the welds are cleaner, it looks stronger and has a 3" diameter versus the 2" diameter on the Nfab's. (The bigger diameter definitely looks nice in the box!) I don't want to jump to conclusion before installing but so far I feel that these may work out better.

Regarding the Wet Okole's....
    They too took care of me and quickly made a replacement piece for the one they messed up on. It showed up last night and I installed this morning without issue. Very pleased with the product, but it did take awhile to install those front seats!! I took the seats out just to make it easier but it still takes time and patience to really install them nicely. Removing some plastics to tuck behind them, adding velco strip on back of driver seat to have a cleaner look, cutting all the ends of the pull ropes and burning the edges, etc.... Lot's of info on TW regarding these and I used a bunch of ideas from this board while installing the Wet Okole's.

Thanks again for your support, ideas and for just listening!

11. Dec 13, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You got a dud set of NFabs , mine have exhibited none of your issues

12. Dec 13, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    If it's surface rust as in something rusting on it's own on the surface of the steel, it shouldn't take a scotchbrite pad to remove it. Some stainless products are still clearcoated so all you'll do with a scotchbrite pad is make them look like hell.

Just a side note, stainless steel can be made magnetic. Unlikely that Nfab uses that product for steps, just sayin. We use it in construction for various applications.

Products Discussed in

To Top