Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Abortion of cupholders

Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
junkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant future
Name: Erik
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Abortion of cupholders

Just got my '13 Access Cab. One thing that bothers me everytime I get in the truck is the cupholder abortion. Any do a mod to make this space more usable?

Pics or links please!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
You have an abortion in one of your cupholders? That's gross.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
toyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyohtadude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Grunt
Name: Eric
toyohtadude's Tacoma Gallery
Are they the same as the prior Gen? I have not seen them yet. In the last Gen, you can remove the divider for the two in front of the shifter and use it as open storage.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Just throw shit in the cup holders. Boom, space utilized
Old 12-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
junkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant futurejunkman has a brilliant future
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Nah, my word wasn't great I guess.

Here is what they look like in my truck.

The space is so wasted

Old 12-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
Geem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant future

Name: Brandon
Geem750's Tacoma Gallery
those cup of breath mint containers fit nicely in the cupholders, i often throw my house keys and cellphone in the other ones and that leaves the last one for my drink of the day
Old 12-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I want to say there is stuff under there so you can't just cut it out and drop a tray in. In the autos, that piece pops off, pull yours off and have a look.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
I use mine to house old gas receipts I've been meaning to throw out, the can holder usually holds my iPhone and the bigger ones hold my monster. I find shifting is difficult with a big can in the can holder, keeps getting in the way
Old 12-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I want to say there is stuff under there so you can't just cut it out and drop a tray in. In the autos, that piece pops off, pull yours off and have a look.
They pop out easy, I've done it a few times to clean it. Not a whole lot under it
Old 12-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking something along the lines of this -- although before I did it I would have a good Idea of what I want from the space.

The current space just seems like they made no effort - i mean 3 drink storage spaces there?

Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #11
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Just pulled it out, and it is pretty much empty under there
Old 12-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
jboy671 is a splendid one to beholdjboy671 is a splendid one to beholdjboy671 is a splendid one to beholdjboy671 is a splendid one to beholdjboy671 is a splendid one to beholdjboy671 is a splendid one to beholdjboy671 is a splendid one to behold
jboy671's Tacoma Gallery
This idea was going to be my next fiberglass project...if I ever get time to even start it.

Don't know if I can make a covered storage slot but that's what projects are for
Old 12-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
The manuals are the only ones with this configuration, so we're only talking about 15% of all Tacomas made. I guess they assumed they had to put something there. Agreed it could have been more useful, but it would cost more. That piece is easily removable and modded if you have the tools and skills. I bet some sort of spring compartment from an older car could be adapted here. A lot of cutting and molding for sure.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
junkman's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I was just hoping someone had come up with a nice solution already.

Here is the space

Old 12-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
#texasforever
hudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hudson
hudhawk's Tacoma Gallery
I have a cupholder in pretty rough shape that would be perfect for a project, if you're interested.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #17
DunhamAll is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
DunhamAll's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's awesome. I have room for both my and the passengers whiskey glasses plus another space for our chaser can. Plus we have 27 other options to hold our bottles. I don't see what's wrong with this.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #18
Ray is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to beholdRay is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
Ray's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman View Post
Nah, my word wasn't great I guess.

Here is what they look like in my truck.

The space is so wasted

Will that fit in a Tacoma with an automatic? If yes, and the one I have will fit your truck, want to trade? I have a few travel mugs with handles that are "tippy" in the OEM cup holder.

Ray
Old 12-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #19
Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares
Drunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrunknsloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Retribution
Drunknsloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Will that fit in a Tacoma with an automatic? If yes, and the one I have will fit your truck, want to trade? I have a few travel mugs with handles that are "tippy" in the OEM cup holder.

Ray
Nope, the automatic has a different set up.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #20
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
I loved all the cup holders in my 07 manual trans. I put the cup holder gum thing from 5 gum in the small one.