Notices

Shorty antenna

Old 12-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
easler24 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
easler24's Tacoma Gallery
Shorty antenna

TRD antenna

Anyone tried an antenna like this one on their truck? I am just concerned about the ability to get good radio reception. I don't see much in the form of discussion about any short antennas like this.

I want to replace my stock antenna with a shorter one as it is too long and always hits on the garage door when I am coming or going. And it doesn't look as cool as this one.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Hoxtongue is on a distinguished road
Hoxtongue's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the same problem, but I'm going to keep the original one seeing its a good gauge if I'm going to hit my roof in an underground parking lot.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold03f5sp is a splendid one to behold
Name: Bill
03f5sp's Tacoma Gallery
I had a TRD shortly on my last Toyota and it worked perfect. As long as it's a good quality I don't see why it would be worse than stock.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I got a cheapo 10" I think from kragen. I dont ever listen to anything but ipod or sirius anyway. Looks better and doesn't get into trees while I'm wheeling.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
easler24 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
easler24's Tacoma Gallery
I don't listen to the radio all that often, just sports talk in the morning and occasionally after work. I find myself listening to the ipod more than anything, but I don't want to lose my radio altogether if I get one of these shorties.

Can anyone else chime in on this?
Old 12-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #8
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
AM radio reception is worse with my stubby. FM is about the same.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
fyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud of

Firefighter: CFD
Name: Pat
fyremanpat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoxtongue View Post
I've had the same problem, but I'm going to keep the original one seeing its a good gauge if I'm going to hit my roof in an underground parking lot.
X2. That thing has saved my ass a few times
Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #10
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Haha I looked at this thread, followed the link and purchased all in less than a minute. Man I love the internet
I don't ever use the radio, literally never. Just didn't want to totally remove the stock antenna. This is a nice solution. AND no more whipping when I go out on the trails.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
NINETY2 is on a distinguished road

NINETY2's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have a pic of one of these antennas on their truck?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
STRIKER TRD
akaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
akaryanreynolds's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend getting a sport or euro style one the antenna you are looking at is for the top of a car. Here is a pic and link of the one I used to replace mine. The short ones like very out of place IMO since there made for a different antenna on the roof.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EuroStyle-13...item27cd8e7437

The one that your looking at is designed to replace a roof antenna like this one
Old 12-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Was looking through the sellers feedback and noticed this from Nov-22-12 09:16.

very poor reception worthless on tacoma

Something to consider.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I bought it entirely because it looks nicer than having no antenna. I don't even have the antenna plugged into my stereo haha.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
AntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to beholdAntennaX is a splendid one to behold

AntennaX's Tacoma Gallery
yes, anything under 13 inches and reception is greatly reduced. that is why we dont sell anything shorter than 13 inches
Old 12-04-2012, 05:46 PM   #16
cowbell is on a distinguished road

Name: tom
cowbell's Tacoma Gallery
best short antenna

AntennaX is a real quality product. I had a craven speed that did not work we at all. Their quality of build was very nice but reception was poor but hey it was 4" tall. This AntennaX is a very nice product all around. Reception is nice and I live in the sticks. Can't go wrong with the look either because it sits just below roof line and has a nice flow to natural lines of truck.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #17
Murdered X
05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 X-Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: E-4,UH-1 Door Gunner
Name: Brett
05 X-Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell View Post
AntennaX is a real quality product. I had a craven speed that did not work we at all. Their quality of build was very nice but reception was poor but hey it was 4" tall. This AntennaX is a very nice product all around. Reception is nice and I live in the sticks. Can't go wrong with the look either because it sits just below roof line and has a nice flow to natural lines of truck.
Thanks on the info on the AntennaX, never heard of it but i'll look them up.

How tall is it ?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #18
STRIKER TRD
akaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shedakaryanreynolds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
akaryanreynolds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell View Post
Have to agree it's all about the FLOOOOOOWWWWW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05 X-Runner View Post
Thanks on the info on the AntennaX, never heard of it but i'll look them up.

How tall is it ?
Its 13" for the eurostyle one show in my picture
Old 12-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #19
phantomblackgto is on a distinguished road
Name: Martin
phantomblackgto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntennaX View Post
yes, anything under 13 inches and reception is greatly reduced. that is why we dont sell anything shorter than 13 inches

Just ordered the 13" for my 2012 MGM Tacoma. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
jermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to beholdjermoids is a splendid one to behold

Royal Canadian Air Force: aerospace control operator
Name: jeremy
jermoids's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomblackgto View Post
Just ordered the 13" for my 2012 MGM Tacoma. Thanks.
lol, i just saw this thread and ordered my antennax euro, free shipping to canada as well, you don't see that very often!