1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil change interval??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jeffallen29, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Dec 3, 2012 at 8:02 PM
    jeffallen29

jeffallen29 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    northeast Tennessee
    Hey guys Im gonna start using Mobil 1 Extended Performance and a Toyota filter on my 06 4.0 and I was wondering how long should the oil change interval be with this Oil?On the jug it says 15,000 miles of Use guaranteed but how much truth I wonder is with this claim..?I have never went over 5000 miles on any Oil change interval but all I have ever used till now is Castrol and I really like Castrol but from what I have been reading Mobil 1 Synthetic is what most use in their Taco's.Would you really think that you would feel comfortable going 15k miles on an oil change interval with this oil?My truck has 80k miles on it.

Slashaar likes this.
  2. Dec 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM
    MrTacoma

MrTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Base v6
    None
    Little hight in mileage to switch to a synthetic ..I want to do mobile 1 to but cause I have 99k I will reframe to prevent leaks or damage..I always thought u should put what ever was originally put into the vehicle, as far I know for my truck it's always been conventional 5w-30 so ill keep putting that in even though I could do high mileage, since mine doesn't burn oil Ill stick to what I've been doing.

3. Dec 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    jeffallen29

jeffallen29 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    northeast Tennessee
    Problem is I dont know for sure what brand of oil that was used in the truck before I bought it so Im taking a shot in the dark on that.

4. Dec 3, 2012 at 9:07 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It's not a problem... and 80k is NOTHING... these engines will top 300k if cared for without a problem.
    You can switch at any time.
    If the truck starts leaking, the leaks were already there, simply plugged by sludge.
    Use non-synthetic but get on a regimen of changing every 1500 miles and it'll start to leak just as soon as switching to synthetic.

If the truck has been properly maintained with regular oil changes, switching to synthetic will cause no problems at all.
    There are a lot of persistent myths about synthetic that are rooted in issues with old American engines that were not in the best of shape and compatibility issues with some of the early synthetics. We're talking 1975 here.
    Modern synthetics are simply "oil"
    They are a better oil than conventional, but your engine and seals don't see anything different.

As for the interval with the M1 EP, I'd still stick with 7500 miles, less if you normally drive short trips and don't get out on the road for an hour or more at least once a week, maybe up to 10k if you spend a lot of time on the highway.

I've got 80k on my '08. Been running synthetic since I bought the truck a year ago with about 53k on it.

Slashaar likes this.
  5. Dec 3, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    I bet a lot of syn. oils can go past 5000mi.
    If you want to do it I would still swap filters at 5K and for the first try send in a sample for analyisis to see how the oil looks, if it is good go to say 7500 mi. and have it checked, then go to 10,000 mi. swap filters and check it again.
    Kind of spendy but if it works out you can go to 15K.
    After the two oil exams you can decide if you wish to go long on the oil safely.
    I think oil is still cheep enough to change at 5K since doing a filter change it is not much more time to change oil also.

6. Dec 3, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    Nick54

Nick54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    I switched to Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil at about 35K and changed oil filter every 5k using the Toyota filters. I am now at 51k with one oil change. My plan is to continue with Mobil 1 EP and filter changes every 5k oil change at 15k intervals.

7. Dec 3, 2012 at 9:38 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Kinda spendy?

Ya... $75 in UOA to see if you can run $35 worth of oil a little longer.

UOA is worth it if you're running a Diesel that takes 10-14 quarts (or 5 or more gallons as OTR trucks do).
    For most of us, it is false economy.

The OEM Toyota filter is just fine to 7500. It is one of the best filters on the market (and 1/3rd the cost of a Mobil-1 filter).
    Toyota USED TO have a 5000 and 7500 mile service interval.
    They eliminated the 7500 mile interval on a model-by-model basis as the "Maintenance Required" light was added to the cluster displays.
    My '03 Tundra and Wife's '00 Echo had 5000 and 7500 mile intervals.
    Her '04 Rav4 has the light, and only a 5000 mile interval.

Any quality synthetic can go 7500 without a problem with the OEM filter under "normal" driving conditions.
    No oil... synthetic or otherwise, can last 10,000 in a vehicle that is never brought up to full operating temperature.

8. Dec 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM
    Day Cowboy

Day Cowboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Day Cowboy
    MS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TX TRD 4x4
    AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, Toytec Ultimate 3' Lift, LR UCAs, WeatherTech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers
    Whether it needs it or not, my oil is changed at 5000 miles along with the Toyota filter. I use Mobil 1 synthetic.

9. Dec 4, 2012 at 4:17 AM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    One the guys here purchased every single filter available for the 2nd gnd Tacoma V6 and did a complete tear down inspection just showing the filter construction. To me, the toyota filter is the best out there for the tacoma. There simply are more pleats and more filtering surface area vs. the $10 mobil1/k&n or the royal purple and Amsoil filters...

As for syntethic oils I have been using Mobil1 for 10 years now in mazda6 (sold), rav4, corolla, and now this truck. I've never had an engine wear issue ever with oil change intervals @ 5000mi - 7500mi. My rule of thumb is to start thinking of doing the oil change at 5000mi...that is purchase the materials at 5000mi, then when you get around to it, change it at your convienence (ie. warm garage vs cold garage) before 7500 mi.

10. Dec 4, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    mattgecko

mattgecko The LED Lighting Guy. MattGeckoLEDs.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB O.R. 4wd TRD Super Charged
    Hi Rich,
    I have used Mobile 1 syn and the TRD oil filters since the first oil change. 90% of my driving is highway and I always changed the oil at 5k.

Would it you recommend I stay at 5k since I am super charged?

11. Dec 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    I'd rather stick with a high quality conventional motor oil with more frequent oil changes then more expensive synthetics and a longer interval. My thought is keeping it cleaner...

12. Dec 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    Reymundo88

Reymundo88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Installed K&N Cold Air Intake
    Hi there , in reference to changing to Mobile 1 EP full synthetic oil I would highly recomend it. Purchased my 05 tacoma with 53k miles and have been using it ever since. Change it every 10k miles along with the Mobile 1 EP oil filter.I have 114k miles on it and it still runs like new, no leaks or burnoff of oil. This full synthetic oil protects alot better in almost all conditions. There definetly is a difference between convential and full synthetic oil

13. Dec 4, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    timmyedge

timmyedge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Timmy
    Layton, UT
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR DCSB
    Magnaflow cat back exhaust with down pipe, Volant CAI, BHLM w/new bulbs, 3000K replacement fog lights,Debadged/Painted/Re-badged to say TACO/ New JVC Dbl Din Nav in dash/ Fosgate 400W amp/ Fosgate 10" sub/Tacotunes box/ Order OME complete lift w/Daker springs and LR UCA's/Ordered SCS Stealth 6 Matte Gun Metal -265/70R17 Goodyear Duratracks, BAMF behind gril light bar, Custom Trial Ridge Sliders , bed mat, weathertechs, Wet Okles, All Pro Front IFS skid Plate, Plasti Dir rear bumper Future MODS-Skids IFS/Fuel tank, transfer, rear dif
    I would have to disagree with you on this, some oils can last up to 15k miles. Depends on the quality and how you drive. These such oils can not be bought at Auto Zone though, only from speacilized venders/dealers. Mobil 1 is capable going to 10k depending on your driving. I honestly would not go past 7.5k. I change mine every 5k no matter what, cause I baby and want/need my truck to last 200k +...... you have to factor everything when saying how long your oil will/can last. Best thing is to send a sample and get it tested to see how it is at 5k or 7.5k just my two cents.

14. Dec 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    Reymundo88

Reymundo88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rey
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Installed K&N Cold Air Intake
    Btw one huge myth is that once you use full synthetic oil you cant go back to regular conventional oil. Thats false, if you dont like the full synthetic oil you can go back to whatever you were using before.

15. Dec 4, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    KenpachiZaraki

KenpachiZaraki Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex •﹏•
    Lubbock
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD. 325/275/365 SBD
    ALL POSER- Afe Pro Dry S drop in filter, 3" AP leaf pack, Eibach w/5100's up front, 5100's rear, Fog Light Mod, ABS off mod, Dash Light MOD, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Wicked Flow Bitches MAX Muffler, 4" floods, 20", 43" light bars, 265/75/16 Hankook Dynapro ATm, oil catch can, rear diff breather relocate, Custome Sliders, SOS concepts Front bumper, Demon Eye Mod, backlit TRD emblem on bumper, Morimoto D2S projectors,
    yep that was Chris4x4

found it http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...-oil-filter-made-thailand-vs-competition.html

Slashaar likes this.
  16. Dec 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Yup yup, my concern would be what's in the oil...

17. Dec 4, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    As a note, Toyota will not honor Engine replacement if you cant prove oil changes at no more then 10k intervals during Warranty period, these are recorded maintenance requirements. I use Mobil 1 reg Syn and TRD filters, change 10k or less.

18. Dec 4, 2012 at 7:19 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    That was Moderator "Chris 4x4"

He didn't purchase "every" filter, but he did compare the most popular 6 or 7.
    Between his thread and previous information available elsewhere that matches Chris's analysis, everything is pretty much spot-on.

The K&N/Mobil-1 and Pure-One filter media is excellent, but they all have less filtration area than the OEM Toyota/Denso filter.
    K&N and Mobil-1 are the same filter... K&N just cost $2 more to have a nut welded on the can.

Don't judge by the size of the can. Amsoil EO filters, and many others, are notorious for using one fairly short element in multiple length cans.

19. Dec 4, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    You're still under warranty, so you need to stick with the factory recommended intervals.
    After that, I'd be comfortable running to 7,500. I generally do stick with 5,000, simply because of the stupid light.
    Extended drain intervals are an overhyped benefit of synthetic.
    Yes, they retain viscosity better than conventional oils, but the benefits to engine longevity can be lost when running synthetics to extended intervals.
    In my opinion, the primary benefits of synthetic are better cold flow performance, better film retention, and better resistance to coking.
    Two of these provide better protection during cold startups, which is when most of your engine wear occurs.
    Coking resistance is a high-temp issue. It helps prevent sludge buildup, especially in engines like the V6 Camry that were prone to "hot spots" leading to sludging... but it is also critical in turbocharged applications.
    I will not run a conventional oil in a turbo application.
    Shut down the engine, the turbo is still spinning, but the oil is not flowing.
    That turbo is still hot. That's a recipe for coking and eventual bearing failure.

Products Discussed in

To Top