1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch Slip??? Anyone else

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AppalachianMtTaco, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Dec 4, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    AppalachianMtTaco

AppalachianMtTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 6 Speed
    ext. 3' tuff country lift 1.5 wheel spacers halo HID headlights custom satahi grill bull bar tool box LED tail lights roof rack Ext antenna k&n Cold air Flowmaster Ext backup lights Rear bed speakers Int. Camo custom seat covers mag light holder
    So i have a 6 speed 05 tacoma with right at 96k on it. every now and then when i take off in 1, (1 only) about halfway letting the clutch out it just jumps right in gear. (Jerks you pretty bad) As well as sometimes kinda slips and gives a jerky start. The whole time I'm letting the clutch out as i always do slow and smooth. i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? or any comments as to what it could be. Im thinking the clutch is about to go.

2. Dec 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    chipnoreo

chipnoreo Ready for snow!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anna
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Ram Eco Diesel
    Getting 30 mpg on the highway
    I have been driving stick for years and I have an awful number of jerky starts on my taco. It was worse when it was new and I think a lot of it was just me not being used to this clutch.

However, after owning if for almost a year now, I am still having jerky starts. With 86k on the truck I have been wondering if the clutch is starting to go or not myself...

The jerking isn't too bad, but I feel like it shouldn't be there at all....

Sorry that doesn't really answer your question, but I am curious if any other 6 speed owners are having this issue.

3. Dec 4, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    Skunkman

Skunkman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse - Tug Hill
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Access Cab ,
    My 2007 has 120,000 on it and not only has the clutch been slipping since I got it at 45,000 ,but after driving a standard for 40 + years I still cannot get used to this setup. At least a couple times a week I stall it at a red light. And anytime I try to take off on a steep hill from a stand still the clutch slips. It still works fine, but kind of curious how long this is going to go on before it takes a shit. My last Toyota did not do this, and we put the first cluth in a 225 K

4. Dec 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    AppalachianMtTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 6 Speed
    ext. 3' tuff country lift 1.5 wheel spacers halo HID headlights custom satahi grill bull bar tool box LED tail lights roof rack Ext antenna k&n Cold air Flowmaster Ext backup lights Rear bed speakers Int. Camo custom seat covers mag light holder
    Yeah Well its good to know its not just me. Im pretty sure it is not your driving though. Because I have been driving my tacoma for 6 years now as well as being my first vehicle so I know how to drive it and just about everything it does.

5. Dec 5, 2012 at 6:27 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    a jerky start isnt necessarily a worn clutch. mine does this when cold. letting it out i get a stuttering, jerkyness as you describe. 91000 miles

could be the nature of the pad material, or more likely overheated/ glazed spots on the pad/ flywheel. im gunna sport mine till she's done

when its worn out, youll notice slippage and jerkyness when your foot isn't even touching it and most likely in higher gears. ie rpm surge without speed increase. when you go to replace just plan on a new flywheel or at least inspect the holy hell out of yours for any discoloration/glazing

6. Dec 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    AppalachianMtTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    NC
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 6 Speed
    Okay. that would make sense. Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top