1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Difficulty to disable low range

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by grsabourin, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Dec 4, 2012 at 9:02 PM
    grsabourin

grsabourin [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi,

I have a Tacoma TRD 2009 (4x4) and I have a lot of difficulty to engage and disengage the low range. I think I follow user manual procedure but it is most of the time very difficult. This is what I do

Engage
    1 - Stop vehicule ( clutch + brake )
    2- Turn swith to 4x4 H
    3 - Turn switch to 4x4 L

Disengage
    1 - Stop vehicule ( clutch + brake )
    2 - Turn switch to 4x4 L
    3- Turn swith to 4x4 H

I have also tried with slow moving ( toyota manual)

Most of the time it is difficult to pass from 4x4 H --> 4x4 L or 4x4 L --> 4x4 H. I turn the switch and I ear the sound indicating that the transfer case operation is not done. As explain in Toyota manual, at this time I put the witch at initial position ( example I put the switch to low range if at this moment I would like to disengage the low range ) After that I try to move the vehicle and try to switch again. Some time it takes me around 5 minutes to disengages the low range.

For disengage operation it is most of the time not a problem but to engage it is possible that the truck can be in difficult situation and it can be difficult to do forward and backward try to expect transfer case result.

Is someone have this kind of problem? Is my method is wrong and cause me difficulties? Are there a way to fix that?

2. Dec 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    92dlxman

92dlxman drinking whats on sale

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 access 4x4 4.0 6-gear
    5100s, ome884s, wheelers aal kit, and some rustoleum
    i usually try to get into 4hi while moving, wait for positive engagement, stop or slow crawl then clutch TO THE FLOOR and switch to 4lo. then wait untill you get positive engagement before letting the clutch out. if you cant get 4hi with the truck moving, swith to it and make sure the stupid light comes on. try and rock it, then switch to 4lo.

the system gets pissy if you cycle between 4hi and 4lo too quickly, or if your clutch moves off the floor during cycling.

3. Dec 4, 2012 at 9:54 PM
    azchris

azchris Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Magnetic Grey Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD OffRoad
    Click sig for build thread
    How often do you use it? It takes some "breaking in" before it gets quick.

4. Dec 5, 2012 at 4:47 AM
    grsabourin

grsabourin [OP] Member

Member:
    Depending what I do with the truck I use this option each week or each 2 weeks. According to answers I think my best guest is to try to do change more slowly with moving vehicle.

Products Discussed in

To Top